Farmer let me use his old .410 on the rabbits

Oli383

Had a quick mooch around the permission tonight and the farmer said I could have a go with his .410 for the rabbits as ran out of air rifle pellets last time and just have not used the 12 gauge for a while :no:

He checked the barrel was clear and handed it over, I checked the chamber length and proof marks on the barrel and was all good to go. The gun is a Cooey model 84 single shot,beaten up condition but shoots lovely. Dont know if anyone else has one or knows much about them? The gun had not been fired in over 12 or so years and the carts were probably older but kept in the house so in good condition.

Using 11 grams of No.6 carts was picking of rabbits out to about 35 yards or so nicely. Just had one nice rabbit today and though I would take a pic of him and the gun. Had 2 others later and 3 a few days ago with it, I am really loving it, just nice to have low recoil compared to the 12 gauge and weight :) I think it shoots a little high so will pattern it but is currently my favorite gun at the moment haha :good:

Anyway a few pics here, currently brought it home to try and polish it up a bit and give it a good clean.

4EB43016-755B-4192-9E99-22FDA2B414B6_zps

494979E2-5721-49F2-A118-7164A9559DBB_zps

6BE643A2-86A6-4762-9FFF-5C8F8A2D17F2_zps

9314C3A8-9427-4B3D-AFAA-6861D6C091BA_zps

ATB Oli :good:

Sounds like you had great fun the .410 is Awsome I dunno what it is but there's something about them we love. Had the cooey 84 myself too and it was a great gun now currently using an old Belgian hammergun and out of all my guns its my faveroute and id deffinately recomend one if you look for a .410 best wishes and happy shooting!

Jeeez that thas a mighty thick chamber wall. you could shoot an Elephant round through that.

You'd be amazed. On one of the US youtube shooting channels, they took a gun like that and kept on upping the round. I think they got to .454 Casull, and the gun handled it perfectly.

robbiep, on 09 Jul 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

You'd be amazed. On one of the US youtube shooting channels, they took a gun like that and kept on upping the round. I think they got to .454 Casull, and the gun handled it perfectly.

Yes it is on iraqveteran8888 and it is the little 410 that could. They did blow the gun up eventually by loading it with random floor sweepings of unburnt pistol powders from a pistol range that were a complete mish mash of differing sorts of fast burning powders

Don't forget the .410 is a high pressure round as shotguns go, smaller pipe basically. I love my little .410 single, its a rough as rats old baikel but am killing a stack of vermin with it and I often shoot it one handed. The limitation is range (30 is total max), the fun is in making sure your close and the difference is in that light gun with little noise and kick

Apologies if its slightly taking initial thread off topic ... is it possible to get a push on moderator (or attached in a non permanent way) that doesn't leave the slightest sign that one had been fitted .. ref Webley bolt action .410 ... cheers

I think this is the nearest thing you can get. :good:

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

Cheers agaman ... just dont fancy reaming out the retaining bush and having it pressed on in place "interferrence fit"... doing the job wouldn't be a problem for me. I previously had an engineering related job, prior to what l do now. I wouldn't want a moderater to leave any signs that it had been fitted "fickle l know" .. was just wondering if there was one the was simply retained by say, a rubber O ring for example ... heyho ...

And yep, the webley .410 are fun ... not yet tried subsonic cartridges YET. !!