Dogs left alone all day

miroku38

Hi,

A friend of mine is looking for a dog..either a springer spaniel or labrador but both he and his wife will be out of the house from 8am to 7pm each day mon to friday.

How will the dog react to being left alone all day on his own. He will be let out int he mornig for 30 mins and then in the evening also but hes worried about how the dog will react to be on its own all day.

Would both breeds react the same or is one more capable of bieng on his own more.

the other option he was thinking of was to get two dogs and they would keep each other company during the day. Is this any better?

Cheers

Having two is definately better than one..they will keep each other happier provided they get along with each other. I don't think letting the dog out for 30 minutes in morning and same after work is going to result in a useful gun dog. I think you need to spend more time out with the dog rather than letting it run free. After all the main part of dog training is control and obedience. These dogs, if roaming free all the time will learn to do what they want..not what the dogs owner wants. Dogs take a lot of time and effort. I dont think weekends are enough. When it comes to shooting over the dog..most shoots will require a dog with stamina too, so time with the dog, under control and for several hours at weekends will help you. We all work generally, so ni think if you get two dogs it would be wiser but you must spend time with them..even if in the garden or around at the in-laws..shopping etc..but they must be under control at all times. thats my opinion anyway. hope its a little helpful

I assume that your friend is going to kennel these dogs outside so they have somewhere to relieve themselves? If he is going to leave them shut in the house for 11 hours a day he shouldn't even be thinking about having one let alone two. Even if the dogs are outside I would still ask your friend to think long and hard about his decision. Just my views on the subject, I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to say that it isn't a problem :rolleyes:

Ian

The dog/dogs wont be kept in the house. The will have a kennel with about a 20 foot area to relieve themselves etc. He was thinking of having the dog out for 30 mins before he went to work..hes lucky in the fact that where he lives there is very land with good ditches/cover to put the dog into and he would do the same in the evening. At weekends the dog would be out for most of it whether it be shooting or just hanging out with him.

Also i forgot to add that hes looking for a dog about 2 years old that is already trained so it wont be a pup.

thanks

Hmmm 11 hours locked up, plus 8 hours sleep time, 5 hours a days where he can be active, not enough if you ask me

Its fine :rolleyes::good: ...............................................................if you want your house chewing beyond repair :):lol::lol::/:D

My pup is confined to the utility room..He has 15 minutes training in the morning, followed by a 3/4 hour walk.

Lunch time I nip home and have half an hour in the garden training..this is fine for him right now, but Im sure when as he gets a bit older then we'll have to do more with him to keep him occupied.

Bored dogs get naughty!!!!

sticking my neckout here but he would be better to get two pups and kennel them from the start that way they know no different and will settle into being kenneled dogs better

its not ideal being away for 11 hours a day but why can he befriend and elderly nieghbour or somone who has some spare time in the middle off the day to let them out

people can always accomadate dogs it just take a little time, thought and effert

cheers kirky

I have a springer pup, coming up a year old. I got her last may. During the day me and my wife go to work at 7:45am and are back at 5:45pm. During this time the dog is in a kennel/run in the garden. She goes in it in the morning when I say 'kennel'. She has a clean bowl of water and food, she sometimes whines for a few minutes when she is put in there, and then there is not a peep out of her until we get home in the afternoon.

AFAIK she is perfectly healthy, she is a reasonably good worker, I have not been too thorough with the training as perhaps I should have been but in my opinion she is a perfectly happy dog. We go out for a walk round the neighbourhood in the morning and then in the evening we either go to the beach/woods/neighbourhood again.

After this when we go to bed she either sleeps with us on the bed or in an indoor kennel downstairs until the cycle begins again at 6:00am.

In my opinion she is a happy dog, she is well fed, well cared for etc... Granted she would probably be more happy if I was spending all day with her chasing things round fields, but if I am at home she is generally happy sleeping or chewing a tennis ball anyway.

Poor bloody dogs. What quality of life are they going to have locked up 11 hours at a stretch and then overnight of course.

Tell your friend that his lifestyle is not compatible with having a dog and to forget about it.

Well said that man, Im sure most of us would agree with you. :rolleyes:

I find it incredible the ammount of dog owners who don't work, leave their house or do anything without their dog beside them.

Is lurch saying that he never leaves his dog?

Their is noone alive who spends 24/7 with their dogs and never leave them on their own.

My Spaniel is kenneled during the day while I am at work, and If I am home he is indoors. He is perfectly happy and always has fresh water and food.

I would hazard a guess that all the objectors are not dog owners.

A dog will have to fit into your lifestyle, although certain changes on your part will be necessary.

Light blue touchpaper and stand well back :drool:

Dogs are adaptable, and going back to the original question, get a Labrador, or two. After the first couple of years they are generally incredibly placid and do settle very well into a routine.

An idea to consider would be to get a young Lab for the shooting and maybe a retired greyhound (another placid breed) as a companion for it. I suggest this coz trying to train two young dogs at the same time might be a bit too much, they seem to pick up all the bad habits off each other and none of the good ones.

I would hazard a guess that all the objectors are not dog owners.

A dog will have to fit into your lifestyle, although certain changes on your part will be necessary.

I'm an objector, and I have three dogs.

I think that if your lifestyle does not obviousely suit a dog, then no dog should be forced to fit into it.

Rather, your lifestyle should change to fit around the dog.

Nobody's lifestyle will suit a dog, unless you are a farmer or gamekeeper.

Changes are necessary on both parts.

My spaniel is in his kennel all day, I walk him for a mile or so in the morning and twice as far in the evening with training built in. When we return from the evening walk he will have his food and then curl up and go to sleep.

If he wants to play then he can, but most of the time he will go off into his own space and sleep.

I think by the sound of it though he's on about getting a pup. Leaving a pup alone for 11 hours isn't feasible. My lab when he was a pup wouldn't (and still doesn't) go to the toilet in his run. He whines to get out. Puppys cannot hold it for that long and they will just get stressed.

My dogs get a 20 min walk of a morning. 20 min walk of a dinner time, then at least an hour of a night, plus games and training when I'm in the house with them. Of a weekend it varies but they are with me whenever I have time.

How can you expect to bond with a dog when you can only potentially be with it for a little time every day

i work full time and often long hours, and when scaffy is either offshore or out shooting for the day, we have a good friend (a single mom who works part-time teaching dog agility and obedience training), and she comes in every day about midday for an hour. i couldnt leave my four all day without her and she's a god send.

hmmmmm. 11 hours is unacceptable long term. the odd one-off can't be helped, but provisions should still be made whenever possible.

My Spaniel won't go to the toilet in his run, but as a pup he did go on the newspaper that we put down. Merlin won't even go in the garden he will only go when he is out for a walk.

I say if you really want a dog and can justify giving it the time and commitment then there is no reason why not.

If you have any doubts at all then don't.

I have no problem with my dog's welfare and he gets all the attention that he needs.

I think by the sound of it though he's on about getting a pup. Leaving a pup alone for 11 hours isn't feasible. My lab when he was a pup wouldn't (and still doesn't) go to the toilet in his run. He whines to get out. Puppys cannot hold it for that long and they will just get stressed.

My dogs get a 20 min walk of a morning. 20 min walk of a dinner time, then at least an hour of a night, plus games and training when I'm in the house with them. Of a weekend it varies but they are with me whenever I have time.

How can you expect to bond with a dog when you can only potentially be with it for a little time every day

No he doesnt want a pup..he wants a dog about 2 years of age. Hes not getting a pup because he wouldnt have the patience or know how on how to train him.

Also i tend to agree with Martincavie. We all have to work..no two ways about it and cant pick a job that works around our dogs lifestyle. If you have to work fulltime does this mean then that you should not be allowed have a dog?? The dog would have the best of facilities and in the evening would be always around him or his wife etc. weekends then he would be shooting or else just hanging out with them. The dog will sleep anyway for the majority of the day right?

Surely the majority of people on here who own gundogs work during the day away from home?

No he doesnt want a pup..he wants a dog about 2 years of age. Hes not getting a pup because he wouldnt have the patience or know how on how to train him.

Also i tend to agree with Martincavie. We all have to work..no two ways about it and cant pick a job that works around our dogs lifestyle. If you have to work fulltime does this mean then that you should not be allowed have a dog?? The dog would have the best of facilities and in the evening would be always around him or his wife etc. weekends then he would be shooting or else just hanging out with them. The dog will sleep anyway for the majority of the day right?

Surely the majority of people on here who own gundogs work during the day away from home?

I work 1 hours drive from home (30 miles). My girlfriend works across the road from our house, she goes home at dinner to walk the dogs etc, I walk them etc before and after work, if at anytime my gf can't walk them they come to work with me in the box in the back of the car (weather permitting) and I exercise them around the science park I work on

Yes but Like I said surely they would be better off in a large run in your garden? What do you do in the middle of summer?

Merlins run is 10foot by 6 foot and is shaded on 3 sides and mesh panel on the other.

I do not see how you can chastise 1 person for leaving a dog at home when you keep yours in a car all day, even the largest 4x4 is to small to leave a dog in for several hours.