complete dry food recommendations

fergie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I/we have thought about raw But it seems a minefield, in working out how much meat how much veg what kind of meat and veg how to prepare the veg etc

its easy mate i dont give mine any veg they get everything from chicken carcasses to lambs head even deer heads ,spines and geese and duck necks through the season the stuff i buy i get from durham animal feeds and my local butcher gets me boxes of chicken carcasses for £11 for 10 kg thats all the prep there is take it out the bag and put it in there bowl

http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/

just dont feed any leg bones or cooked one and you will be fine

I was given a bag and a half of James Well beloved to try, and it has been great, but just got back from a run into town, where I saw the price of it.

Certainly ticks the right boxes, but expensive.

Anybody else use it?

yes, I use it and have done for a couple of yrs but I'm thinking of trying skinners 23 as its nearly half the price

Mine get a mix of dog meat middle of the price range kibble and the leftovers from our meals, it's the best way of getting a balance and not wasting food with the odd raw egg on top.

I don't give mine pizza or other rubbish leftovers only decent stuff with meat and veg.

Wife will buy him meat bits from butcher and the odd bone to chew on.

Figgy

• 2 weeks later...

I feed fish 4 dogs. Used to feed CSJ CP21 but the contents varied everytime I got a bag and wasn't consistent.

I feed Fish 4 dogs working salmon, they dogs eat better than me

Composition:
Salmon (27%),

Potato (21%),

Pea Flour (19%),

Salmon Meal (11.7%),

Salmon Oil (10.7%),

Beet Pulp,

Brewers Yeast ,

Minerals

I've bought a bag of Kirklands dog food from Costco. Reading the label the first ingredient is chicken then rice then chicken meal and so on. Thought it looks good so tried it, the dogs love it.

Figgy

18.5 KG sacks as well £30. The pup bags are £19.99. Thanks for that. Worth a look.

Anyone else tried this?

I'

If you join the breeders club it comes down to £34 which is cheap for a top class food

I'm not a breeder and hate the idea of having to be in a club to get something cheaper. If they have big enough profit margins to be able to offer it cheaper to others that probably use less food than me then that's their choice. You only get 12 KG's as well. One fifth less than most other manufacturers and equate that into pound notes and you will see that the very top foods on the market...or supposed top foods, are cheaper.

I'

I'm not a breeder and hate the idea of having to be in a club to get something cheaper. If they have big enough profit margins to be able to offer it cheaper to others that probably use less food than me then that's their choice. You only get 12 KG's as well. One fifth less than most other manufacturers and equate that into pound notes and you will see that the very top foods on the market...or supposed top foods, are cheaper.

Their working dog food comes in 15kg sacks

Its the maize and barley that puts me off it on the whole. It may be a decent food, I've not tried that particular CSJ food, however Ive fed the CP30, CP21, complete tripe etc and everytime I ordered a bag it differed from the last one in terms of it's consistency.

The one I'm feeding now is consistent, has a low number of quality ingredients and all my dogs do well on. If that changes I'll look elsewhere. Remember I pay £32, which makes it affordable, if I had to pay £50 then I probably wouldn't feed it.