How to tighten up a Browning B325 action.

Dannydp

Ok so I have 2 Browning B325's both built in 1988. One must of had a little more use than the other and is a little loose. Only in the opening of the gun there's no movement anywhere else but because the barrels drops open so easily I'm worried they'll be causing more ware in other areas, for example the metal that stops the drop of the barrel. My question is, how easy is it to tighten them up and is it a DIY job. I'm reasonably competent with this sort of thing so I'm hoping it's an issue I can tackle myself.

I have had my 325 tightened. They replaced the bottom bite for an over sized one. That's the piece of metal in bottom of the action that moves in and out with the top lever.

I would take it to the gunsmiths, may only need a new bottom bite.

DON'T do what I did and get the work done and part ex it for a new one, the new ones are no where near as well made, same parts but just not machine finished to the same quality.

Had my 325 for nearly 20 years and thousands of cartridge through it.

Reggiegun

Cheers for the advice. Don't think I could replace them for anything near the same quality on my budget. Both are grade 6, the engraving is beautiful. There's no movement at all without the forend on.

Out of interest Reggiegun what did it costs you to get yours done?

They are not a pair I just have 2. It's how little resistance there is for the barrels to drop when opened which I don't like. Maybe I'm just being to picky. I like things I have to be well looked after and don't want there being a knock on effect of the barrels being so free.

Edited by Dannydp

Cheers for the advice. Don't think I could replace them for anything near the same quality on my budget. Both are grade 6, the engraving is beautiful. There's no movement at all without the forend on.

Out of interest Reggiegun what did it costs you to get yours done?

About £120, but if there isn't no play with forend off, it aint loose. With mine you could easy feel play with forend off. Where about's are you? Eddie Jackson is top gunsmith around Wirral/Liverpool, but long waiting list.

About £120, but if there isn't no play with forend off, it aint loose. With mine you could easy feel play with forend off. Where about's are you? Eddie Jackson is top gunsmith around Wirral/Liverpool, but long waiting list.

Ok but if it's not loose then what's the reason for the barrels being so free to drop upon opening the gun?

I live in Newcastle-Under-Lyme. There's an excellent gunsmith up this way if I decide to take it in.

That is wear on the bite/hinge pin but if it locks up tight it is fine if the forend feels wobbly then get it checked as split forend wood to replace isn't going to be cheap for grade 6

You don't need to tell me about the price of the wood work, just had a new stock on one of them at a cost of £1500. Very lucky they are insured. Seems like most people's opinion is that there's not a problem, I'll Maybe just leave it till the next service and.mention it then.

Citoris just get floppy, it's how they are. Changing the locking bolt like Reggiegun deals with lockup wear but won't fix the floppiness. As everyone has said, if there's no lash with the forend off then you're good to carry on. There's no part replacement as such, but a gunsmith can "adjust" the forend lug to make it less floppy on opening.

A properly done full scale tighten up can be a fairly expensive proposition on a Miroku/Citori action but unless your gun has well over 100K rounds fired It's pretty unlikey to be needed.

Take it to Simon at Doveridge, can put bottom plates in Brownings with his eyes shut he's done so many!!

Citoris just get floppy, it's how they are. Changing the locking bolt like Reggiegun deals with lockup wear but won't fix the floppiness. As everyone has said, if there's no lash with the forend off then you're good to carry on. There's no part replacement as such, but a gunsmith can "adjust" the forend lug to make it less floppy on opening.

I've used Simon before I was happy with what he did for me. It's only half hour up the road from me.

A properly done full scale tighten up can be a fairly expensive proposition on a Miroku/Citori action but unless your gun has well over 100K rounds fired It's pretty unlikey to be needed.

I haven't a clue the number of shots it's had through it but I guess 100k rounds could be likely with it being made in 1988.

I guess the reason I'm being so fussy is all the other guns I've owned weren't very old. But then none were nearly as pretty as these two 325's and the fact that I shoot extremely well with them is an added bonus

Edited by Dannydp

I think if they are multi choke, the 28" barrels balance better, but not many people buy 28" now.

I'd totally agree with you on that one. I really didn't like the front heavy 30" to start with but since it's had a longer stock the balance is spot on. I do shoot better with the 28" though but maybe that's because I've shot it more. I shoot more game than clays so my most likely choice to keep at the moment is the 28".

Edited by Dannydp