Wildfowling Clothing

Keys

Hello all.
As I'm sure you are well aware, the wildfowling season is fast approaching. This is particularly exciting for my stepdad and myself as we have managed to secure some wildfowling rights for the very first time. Also fast approaching is my stepdad's birthday, so it would seem the obvious move would be to buy a suitable jacket for the usually difficult man in question.
The problem, however, is that I am completely unfamiliar with the most effective waterproofing and camouflage solutions that are on offer nowadays (my shooting is currently limited to clays and game).
If it helps at all, he's of average height (around 5'9") and average weight. We live and have rights to shoot in Cumbria so excellent waterproofing is absolutely essential.
It will likely be a joint gift from myself and the mother so money isn't too much of a worry.
Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Kieran. :good:

My personal recommendation would be to purchase a jacket from Cabelas. I bought my own jacket from back in 2012 when my jacket gave out midway through the season. The jacket i got has proved to be very warm and waterproof and has stood up to all the stick i have given it ( and thats quite alot )!

Thanks for the replies chaps. Perhaps something along these lines? I've heard good stuff about them so I've been keeping them in mind!
I did broach the subject of a decent pair of waders a few weeks ago with him but I think he'd rather have the coat. At the moment he only has the jacket he uses for game - very green and not at all in the wildfowling spirit of things!

The thing with true wildfowling is that it will get completely messed up. The jacket is great but will he lay in mud in it if he has to?

I am a believer in Gortex over smocks and bibs which I only use for Wildfowling. These go over layers and keep them relatively clean but the top layer of gortex is completely covered in mud. Just a thought.

Edited by birdsallpl

If the wildfowling is inland or clean so to speak theres no need to go overboard. I have used ridgeline clothing for the last couple of seasons and have no complaints and the prices are very reasonable. All my wildfowling is on the foreshore so it gets messy.

Bare in mind that wildfowling can mean a very long walk at times and even on the coldest of days that can make you very warm , if you sweat while doing it then once you have stopped walking then that is what will make you cold.

It is far better to have layers of clothing that can be taken off or swapped about , I like a good breathable fleece and a lightweight fully waterproof and breathable jacket over the top either or both can be removed for a long hike , I would steer away from heavy padded jackets .

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been looking into what you've said and I think the layering option might be the way to go - much easier in terms of temperature regulation and easier to swap-out when things get properly mud up!

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been looking into what you've said and I think the layering option might be the way to go - much easier in terms of temperature regulation and easier to swap-out when things get properly mud up!

I take it you are doing proper foreshore fowling then?

I have a jacket which has a removable lining, very handy in my opinion.

The very reason I still like my old Barbour waxed Longshoreman.

The thing with true wildfowling is that it will get completely messed up. The jacket is great but will he lay in mud in it if he has to?
I am a believer in Gortex over smocks and bibs which I only use for Wildfowling. These go over layers and keep them relatively clean but the top layer of gortex is completely covered in mud. Just a thought.

Forget the right cammo, venues change through the season you will need to buy at least half a dozen coats to keep up with were and when. Don't spend too much and be prepared to chuck it away, saltwater, mud, barbed wire thorns all take their toll and you will want different clothes in September to what you need in February anyhow

Cumbrian club ground? Which?

That's very true. As for the location, I'm not entirely sure - I'm currently away working in Italy and only know that it's somewhere not too far away! But you're probably spot on with the barbed wire and thorns... It is Cumbria after all.

Forget the right cammo, venues change through the season you will need to buy at least half a dozen coats to keep up with were and when. Don't spend too much and be prepared to chuck it away, saltwater, mud, barbed wire thorns all take their toll and you will want different clothes in September to what you need in February anyhow

Cumbrian club ground? Which?

I see plenty of the old quality wax jackets(longshoreman,solway etc) on e bay and many of them go for reasonable prices. I too have the nostalgic memories of shooting in them, but they needed looking after just as the modern quality jackets do.

I still have the last Solway I bought but when I wear it I soon realise my modern torrent is much more comfortable ,just as waterproof, the sleeves don't ride up when I lift the gun, it doesn't weigh a ton or go stiff as hell when wet.

I wear the old coat to walk the dog and hark back to the old days and well just because I look good in it lol

In some respects wax was great, in others we are well rid. Do I mis trying to dry a well soaked one for the next day? Did I shoot well when they froze stiff? On a long walk they didn't let much rain in but by crikey you got wet with sweat inside. On top of this we had re-proofing sessions and the fact that if it got a smell on it then it just matured as you couldn't put them through the washer.

I have my ideas of the perfect wildfowlers jacket and it involves neoprene sealing cuffs, wipe down cleaning, tough abrasion resitance against buckthorn and the likes, no zippers a drop tail that can be fastened up or dropped to sit on and a good adjustable hood that don't cover your eyes as you swing for an overhead shot. Waterproof in the extreame with no shoulder or back seam and breathable

most of all priced sensibly under £100 in line with work gear and in std muddy brown / green drab with no expensive licenced cammo prints or military look to it

In some respects wax was great, in others we are well rid. Do I mis trying to dry a well soaked one for the next day? Did I shoot well when they froze stiff? On a long walk they didn't let much rain in but by crikey you got wet with sweat inside. On top of this we had re-proofing sessions and the fact that if it got a smell on it then it just matured as you couldn't put them through the washer.

I have my ideas of the perfect wildfowlers jacket and it involves neoprene sealing cuffs, wipe down cleaning, tough abrasion resitance against buckthorn and the likes, no zippers a drop tail that can be fastened up or dropped to sit on and a good adjustable hood that don't cover your eyes as you swing for an overhead shot. Waterproof in the extreame with no shoulder or back seam and breathable

most of all priced sensibly under £100 in line with work gear and in std muddy brown / green drab with no expensive licenced cammo prints or military look to it

When you find one can you let me know, apart from the neoprene cuffs that's what Iv'e been looking for some time now.

I find the quality of shooting gear very poor! Claims to be 100% waterproof are nonsence, I've bought very expensive items for shooting, only to end up wearing old fishing gear. If you can layer up, you won't go far wrong with a cheap wading jacket or similar to keep the rain out. If you can find a drab one, they are fine, I have an old Airflo one.

I bought a Rivers West I've seen more waterproof sponges!!! It's a horrible experience wearing it in the rain, I just keep it for cold crisp days where it's fine. It weighs a tonne when wet! And holds so much water it can be still wet the weekend after, even after hanging it to dry.

When you find one can you let me know, apart from the neoprene cuffs that's what Iv'e been looking for some time now.

Strangely enough I have been meaning to sit down with a certain manufacturer who already makes something quite close for fishing. If you haven't used neoprene cuff you should, awkward on and off but no water up the arms even when you plunge your hand into water colleting the deeks, breaking a fall etc. What is needed is high grade bald neo though not cheap inflexible / abrasive rubbish.