Choc vs black/yellow

Vermin Dropper

Hi all,

I will soon be looking for a new pup, I've decided on a lab but I am undecided on weather to go for a Black or a Choc'.

I have been told by a few people that choc' Labs do not make good working gun dogs, which is a shame as a choc would be my first choice.

So any advice on this matter would be most appreciated. :)

Chocolate labs will work just as well as a black or yellow labs, provided they come from a good working strain. Your problem is going to be finding a good working strain, they do exist, there used to be a chap around here who had some excellent chocolate labs.

good luck,

Q :)

We have a small black lab, and she used to be a good worker, i think the main factors of making a good gun dog are: -

1) From a good working strain

2) Training

We are trying to find someone with a SMALL black lab dog to put over her next time she is in season. My dad won't put a big lab over her because we will just get big labs off her, he was after a litter of small labs.

One of my mates has a Chessie and it is HUGE!! Saying that though, he uses it when he goes out shooting and it's a great dog to have around. Never gets tired. Mind you, his mum says that's a bad thing.

Another one of my mates has a choc lab called Ted. again, a fairly big dog, but tireless and superb around his sheep and his horses. Whenever he goes out after rabbits or pigeons, he's a damn fine retriever too.

Wookie