transporting guns

-ben-

Hi

Ive had a bit of a dilemma im currently on holiday about a 300 mile drive away from home and my cars broken down and it dosent warrant repairing it down here so im scrapping it its just the problem of getting my rifle back and my shotgun back home. My breakdown cover has covered me the cost of the train back but I cant really take them back on there. Is there any solution as I need one by tomorrow morning ideally.

Many thanks Ben

Slipped on train is legal or rfd to rfd or rfd to home as already on your Certs sending rfd can send to cert address!

Don't think the sending RFD can send to certificate address I tried this when I got a 17HMR Wiltshire rod and gun still had to send it to my local RFD

Deershooter

I was thinking about a rfd to rfd transfer but If I could get round that cost as now got to fork out for a new car next week and money is abit of an issue as im still a 19 and a apprentice. Its from devon to suffolk I can get a family who are travelling to take the bolt and forend back so I wont have complete guns on the train but I donk know where I stand legally. Thankyou for all your advice

Don't think the sending RFD can send to certificate address I tried this when I got a 17HMR Wiltshire rod and gun still had to send it to my local RFD

Deershooter

I was told they could as long as gun was already in your cert (not a sale or transfer of ownership) but some couriers won't deliver guns to none RFD's

It may have changed but was certainly suggested.

I was thinking about a rfd to rfd transfer but If I could get round that cost as now got to fork out for a new car next week and money is abit of an issue as im still a 19 and a apprentice. Its from devon to suffolk I can get a family who are travelling to take the bolt and forend back so I wont have complete guns on the train but I donk know where I stand legally. Thankyou for all your advice

Can't you go back with family and guns? Where in Devon? Do you have transport around Devon?

If I was in that situation my son ,daughter ,brother ,friends would come and pick me up . But I wouldn't bother them I would bring the guns back on the train .

Any how doesn't your break down cover get you home in a transporter with your passengers ? Get the car home and take it to the local scrapers .

Harnser

I thought that there woupd be a problem with taking them on the train. I could break them up and put them in the bottom of my suitcase so it dosent cause any issues. Getting the lift back home with the breakdown company would mean I would lose lose out on the rest of my holiday. Cheers for tge help

Ben

Send me a PM with where you need the to go in Suffolk I'm there next weekend, I can collect them via courier on my RFD and pass them over to you if that feels more comfortable.

HDAV is right an RFD can send them from his straight to the address shown on your SGC or FAC as you own them.

Personal I'd make them as discrete as possible and take them on the train. But I can see why that may make you uncomfortable.

WW

It is perfectly legal to carry guns with you on a train. The only proviso being that the rail operating company do not prohibit it in their terms and conditions. Most rail companies allow it.

How do you think the vast majority of shooters going up north for the grouse or stalking take their guns with them.

Sometimes we don't feel comfortable doing certain things, if Ben doesn't feel right carrying his rifle and shotgun on a train so be it, I know I'd feel cautious about it, would I have made a long train journey with either gun when I was 19 ...... no!

when I had to sell my .17 hmr (financial reasons) I sold it to a serving police officer who travelled down to me from Hertfordshire on the train and took the rifle back with him.

in this case I still had the box the rifle came in and we simply covered it with bin bags and taped it up, no problem

you could do the same perhaps