N.Ireland

Dr D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news ollie. I hope you are right. There is still alot of beech around and the mild weather isnt great. This time last year I was shooting now. But theres nothing doing at the minute. Any woodcock about in the antrim hills yet?

The son is only 2 months old so I am not getting out as much as previous seasons, but some things are more important. However, I have only been out 1 day at woodcock so far & got 2, but there seems to be good reports of woodcock being shot elsewhere in NI.

They were feeding on a old stubble also some rape in the same spot. Well worth a look if anyone is in the area. Too far for me and I don't have a licence anymore for the south

i have no perms up that far, and wouldnt be up there to much , could be worth a bit of a look , none on the stubbles around here, seems very much confined to summer months

Had some good numbers over rape down south ,duck are slow , yet to see a woodcock

When did you shoot over the rape? The last few weeks? I thought the mild weather would keep them off the rape. I drove 80 miles this morning and checked all the spots I would usually expect to see birds at this time. Grand total. 1 PIGEON!!! I seen a few hundred lifting above the trees in an estate, but the situation is seriously cr*p. I was looking through my records last night and it has been a very long time since I got to this stage in November and no birds. Three problems are combined. 1. Beechmast to excess 2. No migration from Scotland 3. They are not flocked up and spread out in the woods. If something doesnt change soon I fear a very bad so called winter. I might even be reduced to shooting rabbits. From the lack of ni posts I take it everyone is having the same experience?

When did you shoot over the rape? The last few weeks? I thought the mild weather would keep them off the rape. I drove 80 miles this morning and checked all the spots I would usually expect to see birds at this time. Grand total. 1 PIGEON!!! I seen a few hundred lifting above the trees in an estate, but the situation is seriously cr*p. I was looking through my records last night and it has been a very long time since I got to this stage in November and no birds. Three problems are combined. 1. Beechmast to excess 2. No migration from Scotland 3. They are not flocked up and spread out in the woods. If something doesnt change soon I fear a very bad so called winter. I might even be reduced to shooting rabbits. From the lack of ni posts I take it everyone is having the same experience?

would have been 4/5 weeks ago mate .

I was out with the dogs in the (wet) field behind the house a couple of nights ago and put up a dozen or so snipe. They are on the way Bogwoppit!

Great! Where was that?

I'm hoping this cold snap will put the pigeons on the rape and the snipe in the fields.

I'll try get out this weekend for another look.

Headed out this morning to see if anything has changed. The answer is yes and no. I did see a few small bunches of birds on farmland but nothing worth talking about. Still it is an indication that things might be about to change. I then headed to a couple of woods that they have been in. Sen about 4-500 in the first playing in the wind and a couple of hundred in the second. They are still latched on the beech mast. Its dire guys. No flightline worth talking about. One shot in the woods and their off. Where is the snow to bring this to an end?