N.Ireland

Dr D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28745787 it made the news.

there was a big boating event that went horribly wrong, glad I wasn't out sailing or on the speedboat as there was bad weather all afternoon I don't know why the race wasn't called off it should av been

Edited by strangford wildfowler

Was out today. Covered a lot of miles until I found a stubble field with several hundred birds on it. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to shoot it. Got set up on another stubble field that I know has been shot at least once this summer. It looked promising with a lot of birds on it when I arrived. Set-up for 4pm & finished shortly after 7pm. 25 woodies, 1 feral and 2 jackdaws.

Got out yesterday myself, set up in a stubble field were that i had been watching on Sunday with a few birds about it. 30 mins in the farmer came into the field to fix fences so moved to a new field that hadn't had anything on it in a while as I didn't want to go home, set up the magnet and flapper with shot birds and by about 5.30 they were decoying lovely and managed 37 pigeons and 13 ferals. Starting to think about the ducks now, need to get myself some new waders and a new coat and sort the decoys out, shooting Strangford for the 1st time this year, so going to have to do some homework before Sept.

Edited by angrymallard

Are you a member of one of the club or are you using BASC permit scheme and dont get to disappointed when there hardly a bird on the lough there tk mamy flight ponds your best bet is to find out where someone pond is and shoot it flightline from a couple hundred yards away

Well done on the pigeons boys. Wont get out myself till the weekend. As for strangford. Theres a good few teal on it, but as strangford says the lough is ringed with private flightponds. Also, the wigeon are non existent. But you can get muddy while watching thousands of brent passby if thats you thing!

Well done on the pigeons boys. Wont get out myself till the weekend. As for strangford. Theres a good few teal on it, but as strangford says the lough is ringed with private flightponds. Also, the wigeon are non existent. But you can get muddy while watching thousands of brent passby if thats you thing!

Them brent is the reason there no widgeon anymore they competed for food and the brent won, yes there is a few teal on it but they all go to the flight ponds and you would be lucky to see any big flocks of teal anymore like there once was

Well how did you do strangford? The wind was good today. I couldnt find any birds for a bit, but eventually came across a few hundred on a old rape stubble. I pushed them off a set up at 3.30. Shot until 6ish. My shooting was not great at the start, also the birds were flaring off. So changed the pattern a bit and got them coming in closer. The flight was slow but steady. I picked up 47. Losts a few in the surrounding fields. Forgot my phone, so no pic this week. Might put one up tomorrow of them, because I am to tired to sort them out tonight. Time to open a bottle of vino, me thinks.

Not very well dr d found some birds on standing wheat but they all cleared off to another field of standing wheat which we werent allowed totshoot so we tried flighting them which was pamts so packed up and went home for breakfast wwent out again this afternoon drove around all the perms we have and again the only birds we foumd where still going to the same field so called it a day.

Theres always next time ( cant say this much more lol)

Bad luck. Maybe you need to try a little further field? Yesterday I couldnt find birds in the usual spot, so I headed off in a totally different direction and eventually picked up a flight line that led me to the field I ended up shooting on.

Edited by Dr D

Bad luck. Maybe you need to try a little further field? Yesterday I could find birds in the usual spot, so I headed off in a totally different direction and eventually picked up a flight line that lead me to the field I ended up shooting on.

We where going to head up near newtonards direction as we have some permissions up that there but didnt have anymoney with us for diesel so we just hung around are normal places, hardpy heard anyshots yesterday anyway wasn't that many out to keep the birds moving.

Ards is full of guns. Hard to get birds round there. The problem is that they dont get a chance to settle. What about out towards ardglass. Lots of barley down there and I have heard of good bags down that area. Or over towards castleward? Thats a good holding area. Stick at it. Have you got all the gear now?

Ards is full of guns. Hard to get birds round there. The problem is that they dont get a chance to settle. What about out towards ardglass. Lots of barley down there and I have heard of good bags down that area. Or over towards castleward? Thats a good holding area. Stick at it. Have you got all the gear now?

Yeah lots of good ground round there trouble is trying to find time to go and ask farmers we would like to get shooting g down near clough and on down that way a little.

And the answer to the question is nope dad left a load of gear by a field gat one day when he was out on his own and when he went back it was gone, where gonna go shopping sometime this week hopefully down to Jim higgins or hallow farm or the shop at maryland industry estate

They might be 'shot stupid', but they clearly are not stupid. lol. Always next time. Its funny, how sometimes you can put them off a field and they dont come back. Im petty sure this happens, most of the time, on a field that isnt actually on a flightline. Rather, a couple of birds drop in. The other travelling along see this, head off to that field and then by the time we turn up its blue. But actually, you push them off and they dont come back, because the instinct is to revert back to the established line. Anyhow, thats what I think

They might be 'shot stupid', but they clearly are not stupid. lol. Always next time. Its funny, how sometimes you can put them off a field and they dont come back. Im petty sure this happens, most of the time, on a field that isnt actually on a flightline. Rather, a couple of birds drop in. The other travelling along see this, head off to that field and then by the time we turn up its blue. But actually, you push them off and they dont come back, because the instinct is to revert back to the established line. Anyhow, thats what I think

Thats what happened to me on last time I was out basically

Well was anyone out today?

Me and dad where out for pigeons, we started off by going to see one of are farmers who had bought a new bit of ground so we decided to go down to it and it turned out to be freshly cut barley with the bails being taken in, we then hung around for and watching this new bit of ground driving over various cut fields l, we got to the top of the a which was oj the same ground and a great vantage point ( during the season it will be a cracker field for flighting duck) so my dad told me to fire a shot into the air to see if there was anything about and when if fired there was about five hundred crows lit up off a field about three hundred yards away and they started to fly towards us so when they where over us I had a shot and I killed a bird dead in the air about 50 yards away with skeet choke and 28 gram 7 1/2 dan arm cases I was well chuffed but that was about it a that bit of ground all the crows cleared off in the distance.

We then came across a field with about twenty birds in it we decided to give it a whirl but nothing materised so we pack in and went home we where on a time limit anyway.

Mybe out tomorrow will see what the boss says in the morning.

Good luck, cheers SW