N.Ireland

Dr D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out this morning at the crows. Got 10, but the most pleasing thing was that 3 were greybacks. That's saved a few more songbirds next year.

Nice one big al

I was out this morning and It was extremely slow going dad got fed up so he went back to the car to read his paper, the pigeons would not play ball but I managed to shoot a couple of crows but one crow in particular came into the decoys only about ten yards out and I gave him one barrel of 28 gram 7 1/2s out of a skeet choke he was hit hard feathers every bjt still flying so I gave him another barrel with the same combination and the same happened hit hard again but still mange to fly off and join his mates in another field I even went to look for him once I had packed up and he was no where how he survived I dont know

Nice one big al

I was out this morning and It was extremely slow going dad got fed up so he went back to the car to read his paper, the pigeons would not play ball but I managed to shoot a couple of crows but one crow in particular came into the decoys only about ten yards out and I gave him one barrel of 28 gram 7 1/2s out of a skeet choke he was hit hard feathers every bjt still flying so I gave him another barrel with the same combination and the same happened hit hard again but still mange to fly off and join his mates in another field I even went to look for him once I had packed up and he was no where how he survived I dont know

At that range even 9 shot should have stopped him dead! Maybe you knocked out a few tail feathers and it looked harder hit than it was.

It was very slow for me too. I was in the field at 6.15 and expected a lot more traffic. There wasn't much wind and it was sunny where I was. It wasn't an ideal morning, but it was a nice outing that took 3 greybacks out of the food chain. Happy enough considering. Next Saturday I'll try for the ducks!!

I was out this afternoon. Did 60 miles, but never really travelled far from home, so that was quite a bit of coming and going. The birds werent moving. Eventually I settled for a small field that had been shot before, but it was this or nothing. The birds refused to come to any movement in the pattern, so i took everything in. I replaced the decoys with dead birds as I went along and once I had a dozen out I took everything I shot immediately into to hide. Finished at 6, and picked up 39. A difficult afternoon and a real back to basics. I will stick a photo up later.

Was out for 3hrs this morning and had 20 pigeons and 30 crows, the pigeons poured into the decoys but I stopped shooting them as I cudnt use anymore than around 20 or so, is there any gamedealers in NI that buys pigeons,?

There must be a glut in Armagh? I always thought you had to go a good deal further south before a gamedealer might be required. Dont know of any myself. I hope you get the expected numbers of the coming months. Would love to see some photos.

There must be a glut in Armagh? I always thought you had to go a good deal further south before a gamedealer might be required. Dont know of any myself. I hope you get the expected numbers of the coming months. Would love to see some photos.

There's a few birds around, I actually think numbers may be down on previous years, a few farms I shoot usually have trouble with them before the barley is cut but not this year, there also seems to be less barley around. No shortage of crows though! Sorry no pics, I'm too much of a technophobe!

how did you get on? some of my birds from the weekend had beech in them. Thats early. I also noticed quite a few on the floor feeding in a local wood. There is lots of mast. I might be a long autumn, so fill your boots while you can!

We shot 45 woodies, 13 ferals & about 50 mixed corvids. There were loads of pigeons about but some of them weren't interested in decoying.

Like you, when I was dressing the birds tonight I noticed a few birds had beech in them, I thought that was very early too.

Anyone out this weekend. It starting go mighty quiet round my way. They are shifting onto beech mast. There is loads of it this year. Spring barely isnt even cut yet, and fields empty. It could be a long autumn im afraid. Also, because they havent flocked up, their presence in the woods isnt that obvious. Hope something changes. Anyone else noticing this? I was thinking of going further afield next week, but maybe it the same elsewhere?

Anyone out this weekend. It starting go mighty quiet round my way. They are shifting onto beech mast. There is loads of it this year. Spring barely isnt even cut yet, and fields empty. It could be a long autumn im afraid. Also, because they havent flocked up, their presence in the woods isnt that obvious. Hope something changes. Anyone else noticing this? I was thinking of going further afield next week, but maybe it the same elsewhere?

I wasn't out dr; however, there were a few fields of spring barley cut near me on Friday & I have been past the fields every day since and not a sign of birds on it.

Spotted a couple of fields absolutely hooching with them, but the fields are surrounded on 3 sides by housing developments. Total no go.

Was out at the ducks on Lough Neagh on Saturday. There were a few moving and I got a six ( mallard, gadwall and teal). Duck season opened!

I stopped shooting at that, but I'd say the ducks took the usual barrage all round the lough all day. They will have learned to sit in the middle by now.

Nice video Ollie by the way. Not much wasted lead there!

Spotted a couple of fields absolutely hooching with them, but the fields are surrounded on 3 sides by housing developments. Total no go.

Was out at the ducks on Lough Neagh on Saturday. There were a few moving and I got a six ( mallard, gadwall and teal). Duck season opened!

I stopped shooting at that, but I'd say the ducks took the usual barrage all round the lough all day. They will have learned to sit in the middle by now.

Nice video Ollie by the way. Not much wasted lead there!

Cheers. Couple of more vids to come when I can be bothered editing.