Eating Dog fish

birdsallpl

Having been born and brought up in Surrey I have always eaten Dog fish or as it's known in fish & chip shops Rock Salmon. Since moving away from the South I have never been able to buy it in any local chippies. It is a lovely fish to eat and one of my favourites. Whilst down in Surrey last week my wife and I took every opportunity we could to have some. Why is it not popular in other parts of the country?

It is a fantastic food not properly harvested and appreciated.

Think I'm right in saying that 'Rock Salmon' was a wartime 'invention' so that people would not be put off eating it because of its actual name. It consisted of any of the dog fish type species. It is often available under its true name but more commonly only in proper fish markets.

I have caught Dog fish whilst on fishing day trips. None of the other guys on the boats wanted to take any so I always ended up with the lot. Even the skipper was surprised that I wanted them. He said they were almost worthless at market. People don't know what they are missing.

Rock Salmon was Spurdog.

Now thanks to the wonderful shark trust and the MMO, the UK has banned catching them as they are classed as an endangered species despite shoals causing havoc and destroying nets as there are so many of them. Also our partners in the EU can catch them and land them legally in the same waters our fishermen cannot.

Total madness and this time not the EUs fault.

Rock Salmon was Spurdog.

Now thanks to the wonderful shark trust and the MMO, the UK has banned catching them as they are classed as an endangered species despite shoals causing havoc and destroying nets as there are so many of them. Also our partners in the EU can catch them and land them legally in the same waters our fishermen cannot.

Total madness and this time not the EUs fault.

I was wondering about that, can you tell me does the ban extend to lesser spotted and huss ?

Also, did you know Dog fish can live out of water for hours. Once when fishing of Lyme I left the boat with a black sack of Dog. We were staying at a farm a few miles away. When I got back to the farm and after a couple of hours I started to skin and prepare them for the freezer, doing one at a time on the draining board. When I got to about the third one I bunged it in the basin to wash of before skinning, the b***dy thing shot out like a rocket and skidded across the kitchen floor. It **** the life out of me. After a wrestle I ended up chopping its head off. My son couldn't help because he was laughing to much.

• 3 weeks later...

Having been born and brought up in Surrey I have always eaten Dog fish or as it's known in fish & chip shops Rock Salmon. Since moving away from the South I have never been able to buy it in any local chippies. It is a lovely fish to eat and one of my favourites. Whilst down in Surrey last week my wife and I took every opportunity we could to have some. Why is it not popular in other parts of the country?

It is a fantastic food not properly harvested and appreciated.

Could say the same about Saveloy and peas pudding, And Stotties! You can't have it both ways :P:lol: :lol: