Leeds - Gun Dog Training ideas?

NickP

Yes our trainer says he is a thinking dog which is what you want for rough shooting. He is doing really well now he has got the idea of what is required. Even remembers on double retrieves where the 2nd one went. Just won't entertain a plain dummy at all. Uses a toy rat and a rabbit from Ikea which amuse our trainer no end. I have to tumble dry them for OH when they have been doing water retrieves. Very keen on the rabbit fur and pheasant dummy though, just have to ration them so he doesn't get fixated on them.

Just ignore the dog when it brings back a stick. They will soon get the idea. Take a ball or dummy to fetch and ignore anything else.

I have been doing that for three years with the lab. Stones, sticks, plastic bottles, shoes, bits of pipe you name it it all gets picked up unless I am quick with a sharp "leave it" The only thing he wont pick up is any corvid and lucky for me rats! My decoys are off limits but he gives them a wistful eye and so far has added three extra to our collection found in the washlines of the marsh. Were am I going wrong?

Yes our trainer says he is a thinking dog which is what you want for rough shooting. He is doing really well now he has got the idea of what is required. Even remembers on double retrieves where the 2nd one went. Just won't entertain a plain dummy at all. Uses a toy rat and a rabbit from Ikea which amuse our trainer no end. I have to tumble dry them for OH when they have been doing water retrieves. Very keen on the rabbit fur and pheasant dummy though, just have to ration them so he doesn't get fixated on them.

The fact remains I can think of nothing more unattractive than a sodden bag of sawdust soaked in spit, mud, animal dung and old slaver! It a wonder our dogs will retrieve them. Once a dog is over the chewing phase all my practice dummies have either fur or feather and many I make myself from bits of junk.

The fact remains I can think of nothing more unattractive than a sodden bag of sawdust soaked in spit, mud, animal dung and old slaver! It a wonder our dogs will retrieve them. Once a dog is over the chewing phase all my practice dummies have either fur or feather and many I make myself from bits of junk.

I have found the smellier and dirtier a retrieve item is the better they like it. Just as well we don't have to carry the stuff in our mouths.