Hunter Wellies

Aled

OK folks, out there i am in the process of looking for new outdoor wellies.

I've decided i quite like the Hunters.

Quick question to those of you who own a pair, do you need to go up a size to accommodate thick socks?

e.g If you are size 10, do you need size 11 to wear thick socks inside em.

Advice much appreciated.

All the best.

Aled

Edited by Aled

I have some hunter balmorals with full length zip. I'm a size 12, and the boots are a snug fit in size 12, thick socks included, but no worse than my old le chameaus.

My wife however also has hunters and struggles with calf width when wearing thick socks. I think the ladies boots are shaped slightly differently though.

My advice is try before you buy.

Good luck

Adam.

I have the balmoral neoprene in a size 10 and i am a size 10 and they are comfortable with thick socks,you do get two insoles one thin and one thick,i have the thin ones in,i have no problem with calf size as they are adjustable, and i have large calfs.

I had a pair of hunters and to be honest for the kind of shooting I do they were rubbish. I do a lot of rough shooting and often scramble through brambles and they were ripped to shreds. I then went to MUCK boots which were a little better but weighed a ton. Now I use ex-army walking boots and thick canvas gaiters and they are snug, dry and tough as anything.....

my words are free and worth what you pay :-)

Be aware that the new hunters are now manufactured in China , my local stockist no longer sells them due to glue defects and sold all the remaining stock off cheap as chips. Full zip balmoral a where as cheap as £65

I have heard little but bad reports on Hunters now , a shame , not the first company to take manufacturing abroad and lose a grip on quality.

Thank you all for your replies.

I struggle with footwear in general as i snapped my achilles tendon back in 2001 which needed an operation, so when i find something (shoes, trainers,wellies, waders etc) that fits they get worn to shreds! I found Eiger size 8 fitted really well and were comfortable, however they are no longer available. Fair play to the chap at Glasgow Angling, who found me his last pair some 7 years ago! Like most of you on here though, my wellies get a hammering.

Oh well back to the drawing board....

Cheers

Aled