Northern soul

ack-ack

We organise a few Soul nights in a local town once or twice a year. They're sell out do's and there are some great movers, but we're all on the 'mature' side nowadays. There are even young grannies who still can't half move, and a bloke who is in his late 50's and registered blind (though has some vision) who comes alive on the dance floor.

The Cosmo Disco in Carlisle was a popular venue back then.

Not many young uns are interested. Fair enough, trends move on.

Used to tour the northern soul venues regularly late 75 to 78 Me and mates, Whizzer, Porker, Whiffy, and Billy half inch...left Gloucester at about 5:30 every Friday night and headed out in some direction or another , either Wigan, Sheffield, Stoke. Manchester, or Blackpool. Sometimes Stafford, Droitwich, Brum, Wolverhampton or Bristol.

Everything got slung into the back of an old Morris Oxford estate which was as reliable as a panzer tank and doubled up as a sleeper.( That old bench seat in the back saw some action )

Still looking for that elusive first issue of Do I love you ( indeed I do ) and will probably do so for the rest of my life.

Happy days..no drugs, no booze, no trouble.. Weve been to a few reunion dos over the years but its not the same...

Favourite track...??

Well has to be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULx9k2QkL94

Of all the Northern Soul tunes - Al Wilson's "The Snake" was one I never rated at all. Lyrics are childlike and saved only by a decent melody.

Give me Edwin Starr, Jimmy Radcliffe, Dean Parrish, James and Bobby Purify, JJ Barnes, Gene Chandler, Tony Clarke, Major Lance any day.

really enjoyed the programme, not really my scene but I love this type of program and the different `youth` cultures, personally I love the baggy scene and the madchester bands of late 80`s and early 90`s.

we are never to old do the things that made us feel happy and alive when we were younger.

Used to tour the northern soul venues regularly late 75 to 78 Me and mates, Whizzer, Porker, Whiffy, and Billy half inch...left Gloucester at about 5:30 every Friday night and headed out in some direction or another , either Wigan, Sheffield, Stoke. Manchester, or Blackpool. Sometimes Stafford, Droitwich, Brum, Wolverhampton or Bristol.

Everything got slung into the back of an old Morris Oxford estate which was as reliable as a panzer tank and doubled up as a sleeper.( That old bench seat in the back saw some action )

Still looking for that elusive first issue of Do I love you ( indeed I do ) and will probably do so for the rest of my life.

Happy days..no drugs, no booze, no trouble.. Weve been to a few reunion dos over the years but its not the same...

Favourite track...??

Well has to be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULx9k2QkL94

Great tune but i prefer the dance version. :lol:

Of all the Northern Soul tunes - Al Wilson's "The Snake" was one I never rated at all. Lyrics are childlike and saved only by a decent melody.

Give me Edwin Starr, Jimmy Radcliffe, Dean Parrish, James and Bobby Purify, JJ Barnes, Gene Chandler, Tony Clarke, Major Lance any day.

That's just it....you don't listen to the words... just move your feet to the beat.

really enjoyed the programme, not really my scene but I love this type of program and the different `youth` cultures, personally I love the baggy scene and the madchester bands of late 80`s and early 90`s.

we are never to old do the things that made us feel happy and alive when we were younger.

My fave scene also, you still got your 21s ?

Blimey chaps,

Burton Town hall Pete on the disks,

Them were the days, I had nearly forgot. cant see the clips on the tube but i was chatting to a young shooter not too long ago about the old music, It was brought up about the amount of so called new groups playing old style music, or remix as i think its called (must be me age) iI found some old Northern Soul stuff on Youtube and he was quite impressed, he asked if i danced like that :lol: . but of course ,,,,,, we all did :lol:

Now I realise why my knees and back play me up. Reliving my miss-spent youth. Used to leave home on Friday nights with my vest (with sew on badges from all nighters) and dancers etc in my bag and would get home Sunday usually. Cleethorpes, St Ives etc were the places to be. Parents would go ballistic as they wasn't sure where I was and when I would come home. Obviously no mobile phones then..favourite tracks ?? Maybe out on the floor dobie gray...I'll do anything. .Doris troy ...Jimmy Radcliffe ..long after the night is all over. The girl in the clips is very good dancer.