eye dominance

andrew f

If you do not see the bead what is the point of having it I have a dominant left eye and I am right handed ,I cant shut my left eye and cant shoot left handed so I end up having to tilt my head over the stock to bring my left eye in line I end up with a thick lip and not much in the bag :sad1:

If you can't shut your left eye could you wear glasses of some type and stick a patch over the left lens? Even sunglasses would do if you stuck something over the left lens. My other nephew, who has learning difficulties, used to wear an eye patch when shooting rifles.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear glasses and have tried blobs of different thing on the left lens and a full patch but I find them all distracting and muck up my field of vision even borrowed a cross over stock s/s many years ago but it kicked like a mule.

I have over come the problem with my rifles by having high mounts on the scopes so I can tilt my head right over the stock, was not much fun with the recoil on the .243 until a moderator was fitted.

I'm a lefty and as I get older my dominant left eye becomes a little tired of being the main eye! Therefore my right eye starts to become more dominant, best solution I have is a piece of tape just big enough to cover the central vision and not the peripheral. I use trade safety glasses for dull days. I stand in front of the mirror with a felt tip pen. I mark the glass of my right eye at the centre of my pupil. I then put a piece of scotch tape an inch long centralised over the dot. Works fine and I shoot consistently with this set up. Too much tape causes too much blur on the eye's vision and makes it unnatural. This works very well for me.

PS. Clean the felt tip off the front after copying it onto the back of the lens, then when taped clean off. Or the mark will drive you crazy!!!

I have a eye dominance problem and I have seen these easy hit beads around I was wondering if anyone here has used one and can give me there reviews on them thanks

You dont say exactly what the dominance problem is?

Are you certain you are 100% left eye dominant or do you have some degree of shift away from right eye dominance? Often eye dominance symptoms can be mimicked by looking too much at the end of the gun as opposed to the target.

Try staring the target to death, it might just work.

Edited by Alan Maughan

When I started shooting I was left eye dominant. I would get confused vision where I could not relate where the clay was compared to my gun. After some tuition I used the method described by Motty - to close my left eye when mounting. This seemed to work well as you need both eyes to judge distance but only one eye to aim. I think both eyes stay open now, but I no longer get confused vision and think I have "learnt" to focus on the target. My best shots are pure instinctive fast swings where I have no conscious vision of the gun. I suggest you practice focussing on the target before looking for "fixes" as your brain may fix the issue itself. It may only be particular shots where you need to close your left eye. I sugget you get some tuition and try various clays at different angles.

• 1 month later...

i have a major left eye dominance problem and im right handed and wear glasses .

i too tried easyhit beads , tape , vaseline etc. this was OK for clays but if i was out wildfowling my glasses steamed up and i lost a fair bit of peripheral vision. and if i wore my contact lenses no tape.

At being almost 50 i thought i couldnt change to shooting lh.

to cut a long story short i decided to give it a go . i have now been shooting off the left shoulder with both eyes open for about 6 months and its natural to me now .

i think if you persevere its the best way to go .

Edited by iamspuddy

What I would like to know from the people who mention they have eye dominance is.........

Do you use the methods/gadgets in other sports which you employ in the usage of your shot gun?

For example sports which require a degree of timing, tennis, cricket, golf, etc.....

Surely the members on here who shoot with eye dominance must suffer with the timing/ coordination problems with other sports...?

TEH

What I would like to know from the people who mention they have eye dominance is.........

Do you use the methods/gadgets in other sports which you employ in the usage of your shot gun?

For example sports which require a degree of timing, tennis, cricket, golf, etc.....

Surely the members on here who shoot with eye dominance must suffer with the timing/ coordination problems with other sports...?

TEH

I have posted this link before some time ago, but it is a study into eye dominance in other sports as well as clay shooting. It makes interesting reading in comparing clay shooting to other sports including cricket and tennis so might answer your question.

http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/articleeyedominance.pdf

I have posted this link before some time ago, but it is a study into eye dominance in other sports as well as clay shooting. It makes interesting reading in comparing clay shooting to other sports including cricket and tennis so might answer your question.

http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/articleeyedominance.pdf

What replies did it receive as one quick look as the file and I was close to drowning in the figures.... :oops:

but thank you........

TEH

I wear glasses and have tried blobs of different thing on the left lens and a full patch but I find them all distracting and muck up my field of vision even borrowed a cross over stock s/s many years ago but it kicked like a mule.

I have over come the problem with my rifles by having high mounts on the scopes so I can tilt my head right over the stock, was not much fun with the recoil on the .243 until a moderator was fitted.

Much easier to shoot left handed! crossover stocks never really worked

What replies did it receive as one quick look as the file and I was close to drowning in the figures.... :oops:

but thank you........

TEH

TEH

Never had a problem playing sports the only thing I was really good at when I was at school don't really have much problem shooting I was just curious about the easy hit bead that's all :D

TEH

Interesting point that, I had never related my eye dominance to other sports before, but basically any sport involving a ball I am completely rubbish. My sons always comment how **** I am because I can't even catch a ball.

Good point. I now have an excuse. LOL

Never realised that. I have always been rubbish at any form of game using a bat and ball or golf.

Small square of tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses (rather than a totally obscured lens) gives you the peripheral vision but stops the wrong eye taking over. Place it by mounting your gun pointed towards a mirror and just cover your pupil/iris area

Tried that, but was turning my head to see round the patch without realising I was doing it.

Never realised that. I have always been rubbish at any form of game using a bat and ball or golf.

Tried that, but was turning my head to see round the patch without realising I was doing it.

same thing I kept doing drove my dad nuts lol now I just close my left eye on mounting still pondering on swapping from right handed to left

At the risk of teaching grandma to suck eggs, are you certain you have left eye dominance?I do quite afew corporate novice assists and the number of people that really believe that their stongest eye is dominant is amazing.. This is totally wrong as an example, I am almost blind in my right eye but it is still my dominant eye. Best visit a good clay coach there are plenty down in your area. An easy hit sight is not the answer :no: . from Auntie. :yes:

At the risk of teaching grandma to suck eggs, are you certain you have left eye dominance?I do quite afew corporate novice assists and the number of people that really believe that their stongest eye is dominant is amazing.. This is totally wrong as an example, I am almost blind in my right eye but it is still my dominant eye. Best visit a good clay coach there are plenty down in your area. An easy hit sight is not the answer :no: . from Auntie. :yes:

born with a squint had to where a patch on my left to make my right eye stronger since I couldn't see anything out of it when I was younger

• 3 weeks later...

Very simple test, at arms length point your finger at a corner in the ceiling focusing on the corner not your finger with both eyes open. Close your left eye, then close your right eye. If when you close your left eye your finger moves to the left you are left eye dominance and visa versa. If it moves much the same for both eys then you are lucky and don't have any dominance.

Simple.

I too am having eye dominance problems, i am right handed and the sight in my right eye is deteriorating to a point where the left eye is taking over, the thing is you do not realize its happening, so i too put a small piece of opaque tape on the inside of my shooting glasses, only the size of a pea it does not impede your peripheral vision, you totally forget its there, it only comes into play when you mount the gun to shoot when it forces the right eye to be dominant. It has solved the problem and i am shooting with confidence again, i am 64 and have found this a quick and easy fix. i hope it lasts.