The dreaded Canis

ack-ack

Blanked today in beautiful surroundings, i could have walked across the chuffing lake on the backs of trout but they were not having it. I kept it real and persisted on the top but in hindsight may have been better just stripping lures.

Any tips for enticing when they are on Canis?

I don't think there is a magic fly for the little midge or their like, but fine and far off at the millimetre perfect feeding depth is the best way i know of handling it personally. Shock tactics of Blobs and stripping lures? yes it can work but gives me little satisfaction, though it might mean i catch something if i have to (having to is so rare though). I think a biggest issue fishing in such conditions that many face is it don't work to great with a WF7 and thick tippets when your already up against it

Your initial assumption would have been the way to go , a bright lure stripped quickly would most probably got a result

I was tempted but was fishing with my old boss, a man that typifies the purist fly fisher. He would rather blank than resort to any method he deemed inproper. I felt bad enough rocking up with cut off jeans, the look said it all!! We werent exactly fishing the Test but to start stripping bling would have been regarded as a bit uncalled for and a very poor show.

I used to find early the next morning you get a smaller rise of caenis and you can rise of few fish that will come to the fly properly, a small white cul de canard I found best, they were normally in close to the edge mopping up. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing fish rise everywhere that just ignore everything you try.

You could always try stripping a sedge pattern but being honest I've not done much good in the evening and I have tried all sorts, the fish get too preoccupied.