why are so many obsessed with numbers shot ?

bunnage

Why are so many shooters obsessed with numbers shot , on here. ?

At this time of year birds are either adults nesting or young birds , not fully grown , recently flown the nest. Where is the skill in shooting a young bird , it is an easy target & not big enough to eat anyway. Adults nesting are easy targets as they are busy trying to raise young & are not in the true alert & wild mode. Also remember that by shooting an adult you may be leaving young in the nest to starve to death.

Surely an afternoon shooting half a dozen good testing birds, that you can pluck & put in the freezer before they a maggot infested,is perfectly adequate at this time of year.

Shooting scores of easy birds is not skill its greed.

Pest control is achieved by you being there, but on stubbles who needs pest control ? I wish shooters were more happy to just be out there in with the wild life.

Hi bunnage.

In all fairness I'm not obsessed with numbers but that is due to the fact that I'm still learning and if it was possible for me to shoot a large bag I would.

I have been granted permission to shoot to help control pigeons. Surely if I shoot them now they cannot do anymore damage when the crops are vulnerable.

Regards

Fatty

Reducing the numbers of pigeons and crows on the stubbles mean there is less of a problem on subsequent crops.

David.

Precisely. We thin them out whilst the opportunity is there, it may not be possible at a later date.

Anyone feeling real pangs of guilt should maybe question whether they should be doing this at all.

If I have given my day up to sit in a hide I want some action and a worthwhile reward for my time and effort.

Edited by sitsinhedges

Ahh our friend from the RSPB has raised his head again , we have missed you , why are you are a member on here I have no idea because you have noted in your posts time and time again that shooting things is such a bad thing.

Edited by fenboy

I don't shoot many pigeons as not many in the whole areas that i cover. But if i get a call out on crows i will shoot as many as i can. :yes:

Don't think my farming friends would be to happy if i let them fly bye . atb Terry

Edited by eccles

Pest control is about controlling numbers, both now and in the future. Many people, like me, won't have been shooting over standing crops due to the possible damage done when retreiving so taking pigeons now is the most effective way to keep populations under control. They may be smaller with less meat on the breast but I have yet to see a pigeon that is capable of flying being too small to eat.

We each have to be comfortable with when, what and how we shoot so if you are only happy to shoot in mid winter then great but others may feel differently and farmers certainly will.

As above^^^

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course, but personally having been pigeon shooting for 20 years now, whilst I was content to shoot a dozen or so back then things changed as I gained experience and became much better at what I was trying to achieve I.e shoot as many pigeons as possible during an outing over decoys.

It's got to a point now where I make so much more of opportunities than I did when I started that the bags are inevitably bigger, and I'm not going to lie and say I don't get satisfaction from a busy day in the hide (that's what I'm there for after all)!

As for the challenging comment, don't know how the pigeons behave in your area but at no time of year are the birds suicidal here and I'll only ever shoot a percentage of 'floating into the decoy' shots as well as long crossers etc at any time of year.

Of course stubbles tend to draw the biggest numbers that give the opportunity to shoot/pickup without any damage to the crop. Shooting half a dozen challenging shots, whilst satisfying when I'm roost shooting, doesn't constitute a successful days decoying for me.

There are still plenty of good size birds shot too at this time of year as well as the inevitable younger ones.

Shooting pigeons is not just a numbers game, but I am more satisfied when I shoot 100 than I am when I shoot 10. I don't know many that aren't. More is generally better in most things we do. Do we prefer to go to the pub and drink a half, or have 5 pints? Do we prefer to eat a whole plate of chips or just half a dozen?

During a good decoying session, I enjoy a full range of shots. Yesterday I killed some very easy pigeons, but I also killed some of the most challenging birds than I have for a while.

The bottom line is, when I go pigeon shooting I shoot as many as I can.

Please go away, Mr Bunnage!

At this time of year birds are either adults nesting or young birds , not fully grown , recently flown the nest. Where is the skill in shooting a young bird , it is an easy target & not big enough to eat anyway. Adults nesting are easy targets as they are busy trying to raise young & are not in the true alert & wild mode. Also remember that by shooting an adult you may be leaving young in the nest to starve to death.

Surely an afternoon shooting half a dozen good testing birds, that you can pluck & put in the freezer before they a maggot infested,is perfectly adequate at this time of year.

Pest control is achieved by you being there, but on stubbles who needs pest control ? I wish shooters were more happy to just be out there in with the wild life.

Think you may be on the wrong forum.

Shooting pigeons is about pest control, whether they're on laid barley or stubbles. It may sound quite crude but dead birds tend not to come back.

You may 'wish shooters were more happy to just be out there in with the wild life' but they wouldn't then be shooters; they'd either be ramblers or trespassers.

Shooting pigeons is not just a numbers game, but I am more satisfied when I shoot 100 than I am when I shoot 10. I don't know many that aren't. More is generally better in most things we do. Do we prefer to go to the pub and drink a half, or have 5 pints? Do we prefer to eat a whole plate of chips or just half a dozen?

During a good decoying session, I enjoy a full range of shots. Yesterday I killed some very easy pigeons, but I also killed some of the most challenging birds than I have for a while.

The bottom line is, when I go pigeon shooting I shoot as many as I can.

Please go away, Mr Bunnage!

well said +1.

Yes, let them build up in the summer so there are huge numbers to attack the winter rape, when it is so difficult to shoot them. I've seen flocks of 1000's strip fields of the crop. My farmer friends would love this approach!!!!!

Also, as someone noted, we put in a massive amount of effort and expense, so we do appreciate getting some decent action. If you enjoy just watching wildlife, fair enough, I expect we all do, However, the BBC put on some wonderful wildlife programmes, that would save all that driving around looking for pigeons, creating greenhouse gases.

From how I see it.....Send back your licence ( if you have one ) that will open up a slot in your county for some one else who wants to invest his/her time in pest control...

A good friend has just finished a 200 bird chillier for me so that will take care of the highlighted part of your reply...........

TEH

"I wish shooters were more happy to just be out there in with the wildlife"

dear Mr Bunnage,

just from the very last sentence in your topic ( see above in red) , it is plain to see that you are neither a shooter and/or have Never been shooting,

I can understand how you feel to a certain extent ( NOT) but if you where to sit back and listen to what hard working farmers have to put up with what with their crops being devastated by pigeons at different times of the year,

I spoke to my local farmer and he informed me that pigeons are eating the crops he has planted in the following months,

January,

February

march

april

may

june

july

august

September

October

November

and last but not least December,

Now I am sure even a person like yourself can clearly see that these are eating his crops 12 months of the year and this is the reason I have been asked to control pigeons on his land,

if I shoot one pigeon I am happy even if its sitting on a nest I personally don't care where the pigeon is,if I was to refuse to take this pigeons life then it would only fly away like little birdies do and eat some other farmers crops

you do not seem to be able to grasp the fact that this is PEST control and pigeons are certainly PESTS costing farmers millions,

now if shooters did not kill the pigeons and at the rate which we do then your CORNFLAKES that you eat would cost a lot more, so instead of having a full bowl of cornflakes you would only be able to have half a bowl,

please feel free to let shooters know how you feel because it does lighten our day ,

have a good day sir , and just to help you feel better here is a lovely picture of me sitting amongst some wildlife

welshpoolandyewtreeshooting011_zps885465

as you can see I look very happy when I,m with the wildlife and out in the country,

all the best to you and if ever you feel the need to complain about our pest the pigeon, then please feel free as I,ll be listerning

yours thankfully

Evo

Is it a number game? No not really but when you have a good day then you want to share this. You also want to improve and this is shown by increased bags or less shots per bird.

Pest control is all year round not just when there are crops to protect - you don't close the door once the horse has bolted and in the same way you do not start controlling numbers of pests only when there is something to protect. On my father in-laws farm my role is to shoot the pests - rats, pigeons, rabbits, hare and corvids. The more I get the happier his is as there is less damage. We do not kill them till there are no more as everyone has a place in the eco system but when it comes to certain species we can be a to heavier handed than with others.

I appreciate your sentiment but these are pests and need controlling. Now if you are purely a sporting gun after pure sport then fine but also respect those who are doing a job.

Happy shooting.

Just the single post from Mr Bunnage. A fairly juvenile post I venture.

Ones need to shoot is a personal decision based on - your requirement to satisfy your landowners condition,

your need to shoot - whatever that be,

and a personal choice.

Each to his own and long may it remain so.

if numbers are not controlled they get out of hand, like the RSPB find I know of people who are asked by them to shoot crows on there land, and they have even voiced concerns about raptor numbers funny group of people

"but on stubbles who needs pest control ? I wish shooters were more happy to just be out there in with the wild life."

The reason stubble is needed is because it's generally an effective place to attract birds to, without causing damage to crops, surely not too difficult to grasp?

Yesterday, in unfavourable conditions, fitful gusts or no wind, out of the 14 birds bagged, 11 of them had their crops stuffed full of wheat/barley, which sort of illustrates that the stubbled area is not the crop area we are attempting to protect but the crops in the next field and beyond.

Yes, I enjoy being out at any time of the year, "wildlife" to give it the countryfile tag, seen yesterday amongst others, were Roe Deer, Brown Hare, Barn Owl, Kestrel, Skylark, Buzzard and Red kite all adding to the enjoyment of the day.

Looking forward to a good meal tonight, pigeon breasts of course, pest control perks.

Pigeon shooting is vermin control is as simple as that the farmers I shoot for want all the pigeons shot to protect his crops he the farmer needs the crops to make a living, tell us this how would you feel if someone halfed your wage each week??? Because thats how a lot of farmers feel like when pigeons are destroying their crops.

Now where I shoot there is a lot of other shooters about ( which means during the summer months I generally give them the run of the shooting will I go fishing ) and my shooting will start in the next week or so and from then on to end of February ill give the pigeons hell because as we all know pigeons will breed all year round.

Again when I go out ill shoot mybe a maximum of 40 pigeon and that doesn't seem a lot but when you have say another 10 shpoters out thats 400 birds in the one week so numbers stay down fairly well resulting in good crop protection.

I will add to my earlier post that I really do like being out watching wildlife. I was born and raised in the country and I have a good knowledge of our flora and fauna, and more importantly, their natural relationships and rrhythms. The problem with much of our land us that it isn't a natural habitat at all but farmland, which to many species is a barren desert, but to others, such as the humble wood pigeon, it is a huge and ever present larder that has allowed a massive and unnatural increases in populations which then have to be controlled.

The fact that shooting them is challenging, rewarding and massive fun that results in one of the tastiest meats around is just a happy coincidence.