Gun cabinet fixing to stone/cob

Gonga

I've just moved to a house made of stone & cob. Previously I've used rawl bolts in concrete blocks with now problems but from what I understand they'll no of now use here. Can someone give some advice on how to fix the cabinet (bl7+)?

Would really appreciate all advice.

I wudda thought that cob wouldnt be too suitable for fixing a cabinet to. Have you spoken to you FLO about it. They are the one to sign off on it at the end of the day, so you should ask what they would be happier with. I would imagine though that they would point you towards fixing into concrete

I suppose you could make a full size hardboard template of the rear of your gun box with the 4 fixing holes in it. Use the template to mark fixings on your wall then drill them. You may be lucky in getting the fixings you need first time. The worst you will do is need a pot of filler and a bit of paint.

Remember if yhe gun box can not be pulled off the wall by hand then you should be ok. You can buy extra long rawbolts for the job. Once you find the fixings you need on your wall just fix box back and drill floor fixings and your good to go. No matter what you try to use on cob it wont work. Its just mud and horse hair

My old farm cottage is the same.

I've made many a ruddy great hole in the walls over the years trying to find stone good enough to take a bolt. I find the only solution is to use a small diameter long bit and drill test holes until I find a good lump of stone, then using the correct size bit, drill into that and drill a corresponding new hole in the back of the cabinet. Two or three of those in the back of the cabinet using long resin bolts and four in the base into the concrete floor.

You can fix it no problem. Mark your holes on the wall through the cabinet, move the cabinet and drill holes to suit some threaded stud bar that will fit the holes in the cabinet.

After drilling the the holes straight into the cob wall to a depth of four to six inches the deeper the better, you can drill in at angles to ream out behind the hole to form a open cone in the wall, repeat in all holes. Fill with anchor resin in all the holes and push your stud bar in position cabinet so stud fits into cabinet a full nut deep and put the nuts on loose leave to cure then tighten nuts to secure cabinet.

In order to pull the cabinet off the wall they would have to pull an awful lot of wall out.

Figgy

Thanks for all the advice, after a few pilot holes, a lot of cursing & a long think I've decided to bolt it to the floor as it's hell of a lot easier. Just got to watch the fingers closing the cabinet door!

Cheers for the advice all!