Fly fishing for course fish

red_stag88

Fly fishing for all species, including sea bass and mullet seems to have really caught on over the last few years. I,ve read loads of articles lately concerning this subject. Wonder what those old "die hard" salmon snobs think about this "invasion?" into their revered sport. "A damned sacrilege, hey! what!.

BROOKTROUT what flies do ya use for the mullet we have **** loads of them in our river but never have caught ine in the mouth.

PS I ama die hard Salmon fisherman also seatrout in Strangford lough which is salt water but im not what you would call a traditionalist type. I would try to catch them by whatever means possible by rod and line. :beer:

Carp are excellent fun on the fly (especially in summer).

If you go to your local put and put back coarse fishery - check with the owner that you'll be OK fly fishing.

There's a few flies you can use but one is basically a dog biscuit shape made from clipped deer hair (bonio fly). Sling out a few dog biscuits and then, when the fish are on 'em cast your fly out.

You'll **** off the coarse boys no end if the carp are up in the water as they'll take on the surface (hence not where the coarse boys are fishing...) and then hold the hell on!

Strong fluorocarbon recommended.

You can catch chub, perch, dace, roach, pike and zander all all on fly and don't hesitate about eating pike zander or perch.

The smaller fish (dace etc) will take nymphs fishing just sub surface, as will chub and roach etc but special wire traces, small white lures for perch and powerful 9 or 10wt rods and huge lures up to 6in long are best for pike and large zander.

Mail me with any other queries.

Jon

Oh and Brooktrout - not all salmon fishermen are snobs thanks.

I fish for salmon, trout and sea trout, sea bass, occasionally carp (just to **** off the maggot drowners) and scad/mackerel.

Seeing as "pure" fisherfolk (SWFF and Salmon fishermen) rarely, if ever, bump into each other I can pretty much say that noone gives a monkeys.

I subscribe to http://flyforums.proboards20.com/ where you'll find every type of flyfisherman posting in harmony...with only the odd purist of the "upstream dry fly only" school might make waves once in a blue and pink moon.

The most efficient way to catch carp with a fly rod, is to use dog mixers superglued to the hook.

I agree with the suggestion to use a flurocarbon leader, (not less than 10lb).

Its very difficult to catch thick lipped mullet on the fly.

We have tried maggot and bread imitations, but ordinary bread under a float, or on a feeder rig works better.

My best last year was 6lb-8ozs.

Thinlipped mullet will take a fly, fished just under the surface, or on the bottom.

Most patterns work, I have most success with pheasant tail nymph.

The added bonus, is that I have caught school bass and flounders on this method.

Good tactics are to cast along the shore line, only about 4ft from the shore. :beer:

Any tips on catching mullet when they are making there way up the river estuary and into the river, they are feeding at the time in the silt etc and the schools of fish are in big numbers.

There are always some caught out by the tide and have to wait in the river untill the next tide.

The added bonus, is that I have caught school bass and flounders on this method.

Good tactics are to cast along the shore line, only about 4ft from the shore. :beer:

Is this just along a regular beach, you just catch sea bass? I have done some fishing in cornwall with a lugworms and caught sea bass - great eating on them!! :beer: Could I do the same with a fly rod and some flies - I think i'd look a bit strange with all these weathered fisherman and me with a fly rod, but if it works ?? would love to try it :yp:

jonnyni, when you can see mullet in the river, try fishing with bread flake under a float, like roach fishing.

It also helps if you can get some mashed bread in the water, as groundbait.

If you are fishing from a pier, jetty,or harbour wall, the mullet are usually very close in.

An onion sack (half a brick in the bottom) with some broken up bread in it, lowered into the water about 2-3ft deep attracts them.

Then fish your float near the sack.

Teal, if you know that the shoreline is visited by mullet and bass, give it a try.

We do best with mullet over a muddy bottom, as in estuaries.

I have caught school bass, mackerel and garfish from Folkestone beach , on flies.

Casting no more than 20 yards out.

Aaahhh - I see.

Paul Boote is a great guy - you weren't to know that the politics of fishing had been done to death on the board (a bit like "anyone have any pigeon shooting going" on here.

You get a "aaarrggh" reaction.

He really is a great guy RS - and there's little he doesn't know or won't pass on if you ask him.

JONO