Two Does within seconds

madmanx

Do i really need to state the obvious about why head shots should not be used!! :rolleyes:

Shocked is such an understatement

- Slight gust of wind

- Debris in the bore sight invisible to the scope

- Poor breathing practice during shot release

- Beast moving its head during shot release

- Very small room for error for clean kill ( very easy to leave a wounded beast roaming )

........to name a few!!!

Laws of averages gentlemen thats why........its not the done thing!

At the end of the day you will all learn when it does go wrong, and you are all grown ups and people will still do it as you say but it does not make it right though does it.

so every deer you have shot has dropped on the spot as it.

iused to go out witha( keeper god rest him) and he allways told me heart and lungs, but the times i have seen him drop a deer with head or neck shots was uncountable. 2 reasons why he did it, only shot available, and he could do it ,he knew his gun inside out and had been at it for more years than you could shake a stick at. to him it was a job

not a hoby he did at weekends.

My point is that it is poor practice and there are loads of reasons why. People will do it whether it is your job or not, and whether it is your job or not you do not know when that beast is going to move its head.

Yes every beast i have shot has dropped on the spot, or within a five metre radius, from neck shot muntjac to heart/lung shot sika.....head shot too much risk of wounding.

My point is that it is poor practice and there are loads of reasons why. People will do it whether it is your job or not, and whether it is your job or not you do not know when that beast is going to move its head.

Yes every beast i have shot has dropped on the spot, or within a five metre radius, from neck shot muntjac to heart/lung shot sika.....head shot too much risk of wounding.

If you dont hit the neck full on in the middle and only get the jugular, that deer can run on for miles, before it drops dead. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, your neck shoot that you do sometimes, has a risk too sir. :rolleyes:

Frank.

it would be nice frank if every animal presented itself in the correct position for dispatch, but life's not that easy.

you make your mind up there and then. MM made a decision that was right at that time. good do i say.

Agree Mark and madmanx. :rolleyes:

I was trying to explain to our freind their Heppy1148, that he said, he only takes neck and heart lung shots and how its just as risky, to take neck shots as it is head shots.

Frank.

because when lamping rabbits they will sit still for a considerable longer length of time, deer, especially roe and munjac are particularly flighty and due to their reduced sense of sight rely more on sense of smell and hearing. To that end they try to look more.

Also when you are sat at your pc just move your head as if there was a piont of aim in one spot, then do the same for a point of aim for the base of the neck (were the spinal column is widest) and again for the heart/lung.

At the end of the day no-one wants to leave an injured beast, so to minimise the risk is the best practice.

do i really need to go on.......dont answer that ya sarky **** :blink:

If you dont hit the neck full on in the middle and only get the jugular, that deer can run on for miles, before it drops dead. :lol: :blink:

So, your neck shoot that you do sometimes, has a risk too sir. :lol:

Frank.

But as you say you are confident with your rifle and if you cannot put a bullet in one inch @ 100m then you should get more time on the range.

because when lamping rabbits they will sit still for a considerable longer length of time, deer, especially roe and munjac are particularly flighty and due to their reduced sense of sight rely more on sense of smell and hearing. To that end they try to look more.

Also when you are sat at your pc just move your head as if there was a piont of aim in one spot, then do the same for a point of aim for the base of the neck (were the spinal column is widest) and again for the heart/lung.

At the end of the day no-one wants to leave an injured beast, so to minimise the risk is the best practice.

do i really need to go on.......dont answer that ya sarky **** :blink:

If you dont hit the neck full on in the middle and only get the jugular, that deer can run on for miles, before it drops dead. :lol: :blink:

So, your neck shoot that you do sometimes, has a risk too sir. :lol:

Frank.

But as you say you are confident with your rifle and if you cannot put a bullet in one inch @ 100m then you should get more time on the range.

As a matter a fact, i put it into a half inch at 100 yds lad. :P:lol:

Frank.

iI have taken head shots but most of you skilled stalkers will know a hart/lung shot will result in the beast in kicking its back legs out and running for up to 200 yards this is not a good thing if the quarry is small and not worth the shot as I have experienced with clients alike. The deer shot in question I say madmanx did the correct shot for the situation in hand as he is qualified in dmq and most important ant life skills in hunting.. I have stalked with MM and know if he decided on a head shot at 40 yards I can concur it was the beast shot to take

There is another side to this argument that if you go for head shots all the time you are more likely to hit or completely miss

going for a body shot the chances of injuring are increased due to the body area that won`t kill the animal

At the end of the day it is what your happy with doing for the best end result, no one is right no one is wrong

THE END

There is another side to this argument that if you go for head shots all the time you are more likely to hit or completely miss

going for a body shot the chances of injuring are increased due to the body area that won`t kill the animal

Not really. If you go for a heart/lung shot and are out 1.5" in any direction you still end up with a dead beast.

If you go for a head shot and are out 1.5" you can end up with a maimed beast with it's jaw shot off......

Come on lads, M&Ms has proved he can shoot with his .177 air rifle, (remember the 1000yd rabbit shot) :welcomeani: that was a quick clean kill, i seem to remember him getting some bad comments for that. Now he shoots two deer at about 40yds with very humane head/neck shots, with a bullet leaving the muzzle of his centre fire rifle at 3000+ fps, or 1000yds per second (remember the target is only 40yds) but yet there are comments about a breeze blowing his bullet of target, or the deer moving its head as he squeezes the trigger, just how fast can deer move, i doubt very much they can dodge a bullet at that speed, unless i missed them in the matrix film, he obviously had a good rest from the bipod and was confident with the shot otherwise it would have been a heart/lung shot, then spent who knows how long looking for the deer if it set off in a death run upto 100yds through the woods.