What Bolts for Safe

discobob

Hello everybody :yahoo:

I have been hanging about for several weeks now reading incognito - but after 10 weeks of waiting I have my interview next week for my SGL and took delivery of a safe yesterday.

I am fitting it to a wall in our smallest bedroom which consists of hollow concrete block. I have fixed items (articulate wall mount for plasma) using resin sleeves before, however that was because of the moments involved when the screen was pulled away from the wall and I am stuck with what to do when we don't want a wall mounted screen - or want it elsewhere!!! This would happen with the safe as well if I used the same system (still got bars and sleeves, I would just need the resin), so I was wondering if the firearms guy would be happy if I used these concrete bolts which I have used in the garage, which if we did need to re-locate the safe, would leave just 4 holes that would need filling rather than having to take something like an angle grinder to the wall to cut back the bolts to below the surface (solid plaster on top of block)

Your thoughts and advice would be most welcome

A little bit about me - I have had a couple of lessons with Beretta (Brian) up a Faux Degla (North Wales based) and I am now looking forward to getting out a couple of times a month (will that turn to week?) to shoot some clays.I am afraid to say that personally I would not be shooting game although I have absolutely no problem with anybody who does do that - it is just not for me :blush:

I will also now have to start looking around to get my first gun!! I haven't really bothered besides occasional looks on here and gunstar but I will more than likely be looking at the main 3 mid-range starters - Beratta/Browning/Miroku and undecided if I go new or second hand - I have a budget of up to £1.5K (don't tell the wife!!) and I am always looking for the best deal!

Cheer

Steve

I use resin bolts, but expanding bolts are also fine.

Thanks Apache, I cant use the expanding due to not knowing if I am going to hit a cavity in the block and also the expanding force could cause the block to crumble- these concrete bolts are non-expanding - drill a hole and bolt these in with a ratchet/spanner as the thread bites into the concrete/sand and cement - almost like a self tapper in metal

Welcome to PW Steve. Enjoy your stay. :good:

Unpacked the safe last night and it has 6 bolt holes rather than the 4 I was expecting, so I am going to do 2 on resins (top and bottom RHS) and the other 4 on the concrete bolts. It is being fitted into a corner so no leverage can be got on the opening side (LHS). The ****** is that I dug out my stuff last night and I only have one bar left for the resin so will have to buy a pack from screwfix/toolstation along with some resin. I have several concrete bolts already

Thanks Dorianbuilders for the offer - however I have several concrete bolts already.

On the way home today (working in Preston) I am going to call into McAvoy's in Standish for a drool at some guns as well :)

Looks like I struck lucky!!

Only one hole where I hit a void and that was a central bolt so I used the concrete bolts all round and job's a good one - it isn't going anywhere in hurry. Let's see the FEO work up a sweet on that!!

I saw an immaculate Beretta SP 30" sporter at McAvoys yesterday - they sold it earlier this year and bought it back a couple of months later and it looked like it had not been used at all - a tadge over £1100 but they have an option to take it back within 7 days for any reason and you will get a full refund :) which is I think is very reasonable. I may phone about a few dealers though to see what can be done on New.

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have a 525 in to compare against though

Cheers

Steve