.22 Rimmy

Cakie174

Hi

I am about to take possion of my new .22 Sako Finnfire and want to know what i can really expect to targets out at. I have heard great differences in the ranges people will actually get head shots with. Also what is the working range which i should be zeroing it at.

Any help would be appreciated.

cakie

Thanks Guys.

Its a Sako Finnfie with Heavy barrel and harris tri-pod. i reckon i'm a pretty good shot judging from air rifle scores. I was hoping that i could make a kill up to 100yrds in good conditions.

Have you any experience of shooting foxes with .22lr. Whats the max range would you engae them at?

What are your choice of ammo for short and distance shots?

cakie

.223 is a brilliant round for a fox, however It is consideralby harder to get land approved for a .223 than a .22 The .223 will also drop a fox over 200yds.

You can use preatty much anything on them, I've seen them shot in the mouth with a 7x64, soons cleaned all the badness out, out of its bum.\

When I applied for my .22 rim fire the firearms officer said that on no account was I to use it on fox!

He then added the 223 to my application (he asked me wich .22 CF I wanted).

The 223 with hand loaded 50grain "TNT" bullets is magnificent on fox. I still only take them out to 100 yards as I can only shoot to 2" unsuported at this range, and you cant call a fox back in after a miss.

Cakie the Finnfire is a prince amongst rifles it has out of the box accuracy allmost as good as a target rifle and you should be getting groups of 12-15 mm across with 5 shots at 50 metres with it . I personally would go a fixed power scope on a rimfire either a 4X or 6X. I shoot a lot of foxes with a .22 and have no problems with head shots out to 70 metres using winchester ammo . Site the gun in at 50 metres though and give it a bit if needed , i hope this helps. :huh:

Well done! I think that you have made an excellent choice. I bought one a couple of years ago and matched it up to a Leopold 50mm scope and Harris bipod, absoluteley awesome. My shooting pal christened it the Sako shed! and pronounced me insane for parting with so much money and fitting a bipod. That was untill he finally got to have a go. Now he want one, but wont part with the cash.

Mine is zeroed at 50 yards, bunnies at 70yards with Eley subsonics are no problem. Its hard to miss!

Regretfully I dont get the chance to use it too often as I live in Merseyside and my FAC has named land in Scotland. I have been advised to apply for an open certificate, but have also been advised that even with an open cert, the land still needs police approval for FAC. Can anyone advise?

I have access to suficient land, but non has FAC approval. I doubt that any FLO in merseyside is going to risk his pension by approving land; perhaps Iam synical.

Enjoy your rifle, its in a league almost on its own!

Webber