moderator trouble!

stoat

Hi lads, im new on here, but im having bother with my moderator coming loose after only a couple of rounds. Its a browning a bolt in 243 and its a viper mod !! Is there anything i can do to stop it from happening ? Thanks

Edited by stoat

bad idea

moderators are meant to square themselves up on the shoulder of the rebated section on the barrel

this is done to within very fine tolerances

stick a bit of fibre in there and the squaring action is gone and the pressure will be on the threaded section

tight bore tolerance and a non square fitting will see you having a bullet/baffle strike at worst and a non central bullet to bore alignment and poor accuracy potential at best

(you want a uniform gas escape at the crown and mod muzzle)

its coming loose because the threads don't match tight enough tolerance

PTFE is your best bet short term

long term get a DECENT gunsmith to check the threads on the mod and recut one or both of them

I'm talking of a very thin fibre washer bewsher500 not a big thick plumbing thing but just enough for the mod to bite against, as I agree with you regarding tolerences etc

I have seen this done on a couple of high powered rifles and they operate fine once checked before a live round is used :)

Ive been out with the gun this morning and the mod totally collapsed on me !! As i tightened it up again, i felt it give and it went slack.. it turns out the thredded piece has sheared off , and the mod is stuck on the gun !!!!! I think it has been defective since i got it, and it explains an awful lot of wasted bullets.. ive taken it back to the place i bought it and he has promised to sort it. So fingers crossed!!!!

Ive had em since march,but ive not been very happy with the grouping since i got it!! Ive been trying different brands and weights of bullets but the last few days have been frustrating!then it broke, so back it went to swillington , which i can say have breen very good about it to say its a second hand gun!!!!

Edited by stoat