First fox with 17hmr

Richard 1980

After a call from the farmer earlier about some foxes he'd spotted on crop he'd harvested today, I headed out and managed to bag this at 80 yards with my CZ452 hmr. Feeling rather pleased with myself so thought if share a couple of photos with some like minded people.

I would have stopped out longer but rain stopped play. There's definitely a few more down there so I'll be spending a few more evenings out soon to bag a few more.

post-69282-0-49346800-1407624968_thumb.jpg

post-69282-0-24759900-1407624977_thumb.jpg

He's mixed farming with sheep in the next field. Lost about 20 lambs this year to foxes so has a definite hatred towards them.

Fine, no problem with that. Just looking on Wikipedia and found this:

"A key reason for dislike of the fox by pastoral farmers is their tendency to commit acts of surplus killing toward animals such as chickens, yet having killed many they eat only one. Some anti-hunt campaigners maintain that provided it is not disturbed, the fox will remove all of the chickens it kills and conceal them in a safer place"

Is it me or is that not the point? I'd be ****** off I'd lost a load of chickens, not that some of them went to waste... :rolleyes:

That would be terrible, wouldn't it?

(rather hypocritical view point from a bunch of people who also kill for fun.......)

:D

That's a fair point really. As I typed my comment, I thought exactly the same thing. I guess we as humans make the choice to "enjoy" what we do. If foxes do kill for pleasure that would be something that is instinctive to them..... Interesting.

Apologies for the thread creep.

My father in law hates magpies and I have another friend who hates foxes but I leave them both alone because at the moment, they're not doing me any harm. When we get chickens it will be a different matter. It's why I think foxes should be on a general licence