Nervous puppy on sit command.

So I have had my cocker pup a few weeks now. I took the first week off work to get it settled and it was fine. While at the breeder they taught her to sit which Is useful so I used this command at dinner time to associate the sit with a pleasant experience. Since going back to work and leaving other members of family in charge of her I have noticed when I go home and ask her to sit she looks really nervous and has even gone away from me. I am not sure why this is, I do it at her level and my voice is "friendly". Has anyone had any experience with this? Any way I can get her out of this nervous rut? Its her only command apart from come so Its not from over doing any training etc.

Could other family members have told her off and used the sit command while telling her off or in a more aggressive tone ?

Go back to trying to get her to sit using food treats or a favourite toy etc but you really need to get to the route cause which seems to be something happening when your not there.

If you really struggle getting her back to where she was then try retraining using HUP instead of sit .

If your going to train a dog train your family or kennel it when your out. The one occasion you don't want them to associate two things they seem to get it first go, yet when you do want it then it takes a dozen :rolleyes: I should go with Educating the family and at a few weeks / months I shouldn't worry about it, just don't do it a few weeks and chances are good it will forget

If the pup is still a few weeks old I wouldn't worry too much. It's probably a bit confused as it doesn't understand what it's supposed to do. My youngest cocker took months before she would sit. The problem is you want your command to be firm enough for the dog to know to obey but not too firm that it thinks it's being told off.

So do you guys recommend putting her in a kennel?

I have the option to bring her to work and have her crated in the car during the day while I look into kennels and training the family.

We have a private gated car park and I look out onto it and all the cars so would be able to keep an eye on her and leave the car windows and boot open etc and go out to her every hour.

I didn’t do this from the start because I thought she would get bored and she would be miserable.

I have the option to bring her to work and have her crated in the car during the day while I look into kennels and training the family.

We have a private gated car park and I look out onto it and all the cars so would be able to keep an eye on her and leave the car windows and boot open etc and go out to her every hour.

I didn’t do this from the start because I thought she would get bored and she would be miserable.

Even with the car open I shouldn't do this but you do need to sort this issue

Now he has the dog? basically have a family meeting for starters

About what? It's the blind leading the blind. The guy thinks the breeder trained the pup to sit before he took it away from the breeder and now cant understand why the goalposts have moved regarding the dog and it's sit. What exactly will he say needs to be done regarding training or nurturing the dog through it's puppy-hood, at this "meeting", when he's asking complete strangers on a forum about what should be done. All of this should have been thoroughly planned for well before buying the pup. The fact it wasn't leads me to the way of thinking that there is a certain amount of ignorance involved. Not a lack of gun-dog training skills.

About what? It's the blind leading the blind. The guy thinks the breeder trained the pup to sit before he took it away from the breeder and now cant understand why the goalposts have moved regarding the dog and it's sit. What exactly will he say needs to be done regarding training or nurturing the dog through it's puppy-hood, at this "meeting", when he's asking complete strangers on a forum about what should be done. All of this should have been thoroughly planned for well before buying the pup. The fact it wasn't leads me to the way of thinking that there is a certain amount of ignorance involved. Not a lack of gun-dog training skills.

A little harsh I think .

Nobody is a instant expert , we all make mistakes along the way ,I certainly have , learning from them is the key.

It's the lack of thought that is worrying. Not whether the OP is making mistakes training his dog. The place it is to live (house or kennel) should have been decided long before the OP decided to ask strangers if they though leaving the pup in his car, in a car park all day was ok.

Regarding mistakes, yes, we all have and still do make them. Where the pup is to live/stay is elementary stuff though.

Well this all seems to of escalated rather quickly and can see why people discouraged me to stay off forums.
It’s my first dog and I am simply worrying that I am doing something wrong, some of you have answered really helpfully and pointed me in a direction that is already helping the pup get out of this little hiccup.
I am not sure how you expect me to know everything and call me ignorant on asking for advice is not helpful in the slightest. “Poor dog” I am not sure what conditions you think the dog is in or are you saying that because of ONE week of miss communication between family members and the dog?
I have read books and watched dvds, but I thought that asking “real” people for advice would help me more as sometimes the books and dvds don’t answer everything that is happening and figured asking for simple friendly guidance would be the best thing rather than leaving it to get worse.

'Poor dog' because the dog seems to have several people giving it instructions whereas it needs only one. The dog cannot help but be confused when all it needs in it's life is security and bonding with it's owner.

I had people round for lunch a couple of weeks ago and one lady asked if she could see my young spaniel. Reluctantly I agreed and the next thing I knew was that she was throwing a ball for it! This may sound minor but it is not.

Well this all seems to of escalated rather quickly and can see why people discouraged me to stay off forums.

It’s my first dog and I am simply worrying that I am doing something wrong, some of you have answered really helpfully and pointed me in a direction that is already helping the pup get out of this little hiccup.

I am not sure how you expect me to know everything and call me ignorant on asking for advice is not helpful in the slightest. “Poor dog” I am not sure what conditions you think the dog is in or are you saying that because of ONE week of miss communication between family members and the dog?

I have read books and watched dvds, but I thought that asking “real” people for advice would help me more as sometimes the books and dvds don’t answer everything that is happening and figured asking for simple friendly guidance would be the best thing rather than leaving it to get worse.

Once you sift through the keyboard warriors on here you will find some good people that wish to help you. Its all to easy for people to sit behind a computer/mobile and infect members with their poisonous negativity.

You ask for help, not hindrance.

Good luck, I am not experienced enough to offer suitable help with your pup. Someone helpful will be along shortly so bare with it.

She will.