Nervous puppy on sit command.

About what? It's the blind leading the blind. The guy thinks the breeder trained the pup to sit before he took it away from the breeder and now cant understand why the goalposts have moved regarding the dog and it's sit. What exactly will he say needs to be done regarding training or nurturing the dog through it's puppy-hood, at this "meeting", when he's asking complete strangers on a forum about what should be done. All of this should have been thoroughly planned for well before buying the pup. The fact it wasn't leads me to the way of thinking that there is a certain amount of ignorance involved. Not a lack of gun-dog training skills.

Ok so lets just call the RSPCA ? Come on we all started someplace. IF the family are not going to talk this over as regards the plan of action (even if it involves contacting in pro help) the pup is not going to be viable- (I credit the OP with enough intellect to read what many have said and figure that one out already). The family might say hey we just want a pet to take walks and sleep on the sofa, they might say can we all join a club and learn that sort of thing needs outing. a meeting is not a talking to its a full on air your feelings all sides. Pro help and residential training upwards of £100 a week do you not think the family matters? What if the handler cannot himself do it all alone? Who does what? If you do not think this needs to happen then I cannot imagine you have a functional family at home because I find family take a lot more work than a dog.

Come back to Sit I don't give a stuff if a wee puppy sits to command, it will in time and to the whistle later and if I leave it there it will still be there when I come back. The only thing I care about is trust and confidence SO ME AND YOU MIGHT HAVE DIFFERENT VIEWS HEY?

Ok so lets just call the RSPCA ? Come on we all started someplace. IF the family are not going to talk this over as regards the plan of action (even if it involves contacting in pro help) the pup is not going to be viable- (I credit the OP with enough intellect to read what many have said and figure that one out already). The family might say hey we just want a pet to take walks and sleep on the sofa, they might say can we all join a club and learn that sort of thing needs outing. a meeting is not a talking to its a full on air your feelings all sides. Pro help and residential training upwards of £100 a week do you not think the family matters? What if the handler cannot himself do it all alone? Who does what? If you do not think this needs to happen then I cannot imagine you have a functional family at home because I find family take a lot more work than a dog.

Come back to Sit I don't give a stuff if a wee puppy sits to command, it will in time and to the whistle later and if I leave it there it will still be there when I come back. The only thing I care about is trust and confidence SO ME AND YOU MIGHT HAVE DIFFERENT VIEWS HEY?

If that rant is directed at me then YES, we do. 100%

Jesus.

It's a pup.

In a house.

With a family.

It's not that complicated.

Lay off the dog for a start, nobody but you tell it what to do. If it is being fed by you, lift the bowl while it is in your hand and say sit, the dog looks up and its backside points down so it sits. That is how the breeder "taught" it to sit. Tell the family just to feed it by putting the bowl down, play with it and do nothing else. And put it in a crate when they all need a rest. It will soon learn it has to "work" for you.

A lot of cockers are soft so if your upbringing of the pup doesn't encourage a positive dog you could end up with a bigger problem.

You can get anal about people barely talking to the dog because they are frightened they use a command and confuse the dog but some of us live in the real world (or more precisely have been there and done that). If YOU and the dog do the really good stuff, i.e. go out training, the dog will listen to you and you only. In my experience anyway.

If you can build a kennel it is good for the dog to become acclimatised to it; all of mine are kennelled full time now but the first one a few years ago now went to the kennel for meals and rest. It became her place of choice.

Jesus.

It's a pup.

In a house.

With a family.

Lay off the dog for a start, nobody but you tell it what to do. If it is being fed by you, lift the bowl while it is in your hand and say sit, the dog looks up and its backside points down so it sits. That is how the breeder "taught" it to sit. Tell the family just to feed it by putting the bowl down, play with it and do nothing else. And put it in a crate when they all need a rest. It will soon learn it has to "work" for you.

A lot of cockers are soft so if your upbringing of the pup doesn't encourage a positive dog you could end up with a bigger problem.

You can get anal about people barely talking to the dog because they are frightened they use a command and confuse the dog but some of us live in the real world (or more precisely have been there and done that). If YOU and the dog do the really good stuff, i.e. go out training, the dog will listen to you and you only. In my experience anyway.

If you can build a kennel it is good for the dog to become acclimatised to it; all of mine are kennelled full time now but the first one a few years ago now went to the kennel for meals and rest. It became her place of choice.

The reason he's wasting his time and the pups. Common sense is missing.

Oh, please. Chill out, Bazooka. We usually agree. Did you not start somewhere?

Kent and WGD (someone I kind of know and totally respect on the dog front) are right. Give the guy a break. Some stuff is unforseeable.

The pup's hardly hard done by, it's a learning curve! What's the saying? 'Everybody f&cks up their first dog?' Sure, nobody wants to, nobody else wants them to but you learn on the job!

Edited by bigbird

Jesus.

It's a pup.

In a house.

With a family.

Your certainly bang on about kennelling a dog soon gets to feel its were they should be, slept one night on the sofa with the dog inside with me for certain reasons and it kept prompting me to take it to kennel. Every time a got my head down for 30 mins I got a wet nose in the mush.

Many have problems with kennels (thinking they are in some way harsh or cruel) To a dog they are their own space were they can chill as long as you introduce them to it correctly

Oh, please. Chill out, Bazooka. We usually agree. Did you not start somewhere?

Kent and WGD (someone I kind of know and totally respect on the dog front) are right. Give the guy a break. Some stuff is unforseeable.

The pup's hardly hard done by, it's a learning curve! What's the saying? 'Everybody f&cks up their first dog?' Sure, nobody wants to, nobody else wants them to but you learn on the job!

1, Yes

2, Correct. But it's the foreseeable he is struggling with. Nothing to do with the actual training of the dog but everything to do with asking questions that Trigger out of only fools and horses would be ashamed to ask.

3, I'm not questioning his ability or lack of gundog training knowledge. I do question someone buying a pup then after the fact, asking a forum of people if it's ok or not to leave the pup in the car all day. Oh, and it's not because I think it is or isn't ok...that's not the issue, the issue is actually asking these common sense questions on a forum. After the pup is purchased!

If he's struggling with the foreseen, as soon as the unforeseen comes along, he will be in trouble.

Edited by Bazooka

WGD+Kent- thank you so much. That defiantly put my mind at ease with the kennel and I have plans for one to be built shortly.

Bazooka- the car was suggested as temporary solution to keep my family members giving the pup any commands until it had the time to sit and talk to them about what I expect of te puppy etc.

The problem is all sorted now, she's back to sitting when I want her to and the family have been briefed on what to do/not to do.

Thanks for all you help, I'll defiantly think twice about asking questions again though ;).