Mackerel

fandango

Has any body been catching mackerel, and in what numbers and location,,,, they are very thin on the ground in my area and have not really put a appearance in all year,, talked with a few guys from scrabster down to north Cornwall and it seems to be the same " shortage of mackerel" though there is plenty of bait fish for them................

Same here in n ireland. One lobster man told me that his catches have decreased year on year. He reckons seine netting is the problem and that tons are landed in african ports! Dont know if thats correct or myth?

Where you fishing dr d as strangford lough is terrible this year due to the fact of trawlers at the mouth of the lough

Early doors there were some good catches then they disappeared, can`t see it being netting that is doing it as they are so prolific. Deeper water and shrimp was one reason. There were plenty of herring about this year in Cornwall and I would suspect that if the netting was scooping the mackerel then there would also be a dearth of herring too.

we've got huge shoals of white bait and in turn mackerel here in SW Cornwall, been here since end of July, the sea is boiling with them.

Yep, the same here. Another member holidaying in Budleigh Salteron saw it. Since he told me, I've spoken with a mate and apparently no one from the town has ever seen anything like it to the same extent before. One couple grabbed each end of a large beach towel, waded in a couple of feet, dunked the towel and then had to struggle back out as they'd filled it with whitebait.

I've just started sea fishing. Fished off rocks today for 3 hours up to high tide. Caught nowt.

Was watching other anglers too. Nobody caught. That's three outings for damn all. Not even a single mackerel or Pollack. That was South Co. Down - Strangford could be right. Think I'll leave it for a while now until things pick up.

Edited by Big Al

Really bad up here,, probably the worst I can remember for lack of mackerel,,, maybe they will come late,,, who knows, must be affecting the food chain though as there are quite a few mammals fish and birds that depend on the summer supply of these fish.

No smoking mackerel for me this year !

Well, that was manic. The silt off Budleigh S. that had been there earlier in the week had pushed off and after tea yesterday a quick trip over to see showed the mackerel were still there. Nipped home to get the spinning tackle, got halfway back, had a thought so nipped home again for the fly rod. X casts on spinners = x fish. Swap to the fly and x casts = (x-1) fish.

I had wondered if the bit about the beach towel/whitebait earlier in the thread was an exaggeration, but it wasn't. BS is a steep terraced large pebble beach so at certain stages of the tide it gets quite deep within a couple of feet from the shore. Several times last night the first yard or two from the water's edge turned grey as they were pushed in by the mackerel.

Edit: word changed to make sense.

Edited by wymberley