" That's what I am talking about "

Harnser

Spent a couple of hours yesterday looking around the farms for pigeons . One field that looked promising , or perhaps I should say ,two fields that looked promising . An 80 acre field of barley stubble running along side a 60 acre field of rape stubble .

Between these two fields running the length of both of them is a 2 foot high mound or bank separating the fields and is about 6 feet wide . About mid way along the bank is a large mature oak tree that has been a favourite sitty tree ever since I have shot the farms For over 40 years .

The pigeons were flighting into the oak and then dropping onto the barley stubble one side and onto the rape the other side of the the tree . I watched them congregating for about an hour and estimated that at least 400 birds were interested in the two fields . This made my mind up to have a go at them the next day .

Today I arrived at the field at about 10 -30 am to set up . I decided to set up about 30 yards from the oak tree . Having thought about it last evening I decided to set up so that I could shoot them flying Into the tree and on the barley stubble and the rape stubble .

I set my hide along side the bank and put a dozen fuds on the barley and another dozen on the rape stubble . I set my magnet directly in front of my hide on the bank only 10 yards out from the hide. I was a good thirty yards from the tree and was shooting my beretta auto that I normally shoot with quarter choke over decoys . I choked the old girl up with half choke as I expected to be taking birds at 35 to 40 yards .

I got into the hide and with in 5 minutes I had my first bird trying to get into the tree , raised the gun and killed it clean at about 40 yards . Then it started ,birds started to come from all points of the compass to get to the tree .

I had one of the most enjoyable days pigeon shooting that I have had for a long time . Most of the birds I shot were birds that were going to the tree and a lot of them were very testing shots although some did decide to decoy straight onto the decoys .

I finished up with 83 birds picked up ,2 magpies and 3 crows . I lost a few and missed a few . It pays to try different tactics to get amongst the birds .

Harnser

The thing that really pleased me was that I had got it right the first time . It happened because I had spent the time on a recce . I cannot emphasise how important it is for you novice shooters to try and do a recce before you shoot .

I know how it is easy to go and set up when you see a number of birds on a field and after a couple of hours realise that you have got it wrong . We have all been there and done that . This particular set up would have been good experience for a novice shooter to learn a little about pigeons and their habits .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

Lovely old jorb Mick. I had nice day yestdee. A 68 from a bit further north.

There's still plenty of birds on the rape stubble Nige . Andrew will be drilling rape as soon as they have finished the harvest . Looks like all saint faiths will be rape and Abby farm along the hard track to the left opposite the big field of rape that runs up to the pig sheds . Will let you and Ian know when it has been drilled

Harnser

Lovely old jorb Mick. I had nice day yestdee. A 68 from a bit further north.

There's still plenty of birds on the rape stubble Nige . Andrew will be drilling rape as soon as they have finished the harvest . Looks like all saint faiths will be rape and Abby farm along the hard track to the left opposite the big field of rape that runs up to the pig sheds . Will let you and Ian know when it has been drilled

Harnser

Cheers for the head up. I've seen them working on the OSR stubble in the usual haunts but the wretched weather has only been fit for ducks when i've been about there.

I'll let Ian know when he's back and perhaps we can have a look when then drilling starts.