Changes to airgun laws from Jan 20th. BASC Press R

Jonnyni

New airgun laws come into force on 20th January

8th January 2004......................immediate release.

New laws which will affect airgun ownership and use by young people will come into force as part of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act on the 20th January.

Christopher Graffius, BASC Director of Communications said "These changes will not stop live-quarry shooting with airguns. Despite considerable campaigning opposition, BASC, with the support of MPs from all parties, was able to persuade the Government that bringing in a full ban or licensing system for airguns was unnecessary and unworkable.¨

"Young people will continue to be able to shoot unsupervised on private land, where they have permission. The vast majority of young airgunners are responsible, safe and law-abiding.¨

"An amendment to allow young people to continue to carry airguns to and from the places where they shoot was supported by BASC. It received all-party backing but was defeated by just three votes. This was a disappointment, and we do not believe this measure will contribute anything to efforts to reduce airgun crime.¨

The main changes to the law regarding airguns will:

- Make it an offence for people aged 14-17 to carry an airgun or airgun ammunition in a public place, even if it is in a secure cover.

- Make it an offence to possess an airgun in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.

- Make it an offence for an unsupervised person aged between 14 and 17 to fire airgun pellets beyond the boundaries of private land on which they have permission to shoot.

- Make it an offence to be in possession of an imitation firearm in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.

- Owners of pistols or rifles, powered by a self-contained gas cartridge system, will have three months to apply for a firearm certificate if they wish to keep their guns. They will not have to demonstrate ¡§good reason¡¨ for ownership, as is the case with other firearm certificate applications. The new law does not ban airguns which use capsules of compressed carbon dioxide.

BASC members who require detailed advice about any of these issues should contact the BASC firearms department on 01244 573010.

So all the poeple that own a Brocock-type pistol now have to get an FAC for it??

Well, if nothing else, it will [hopefully] prevent people buying them for less than sensible uses.

I really don't think they have a hope in hell of catching people that already have them though

Wookie

Guest flightline

How do young people between 14-17 years get their airgun and ammo to and from private land on which they have permission to shoot? Any suggestions please? I`ll start you off:

by being born there

by asking Dad or Mum or older brother/sister or friend

by leaving the gun and ammo with landowners permission

by sending it by courier/post

by teleporting

This from the lousiest administration in living memory, the Government which would like to surcharge speeding fines to pay for more desk jockeys on criminal injuries compensation. Time they went.

:beer::beer: :yp: :):lol:

this is b*** ****, this crappy goverment should concentrate on issues like terroism, peadophiles and sexual assults, car crime(if i had a penny for every car i saw nicked id be rich) and illegal issues. i have never seen any crimes comited like burglary etc with an airgun on the news before its always been replica pistols and illegaly bought shotguns.

I think us 14-17 should revolt and every body else as us young uns are your future to this sport so please support us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::angry:

Regards

Scott :angry::angry:

Butchers Dog

There is no-one here or any other hunting/shooting forum that would disagree with you at all we are all fed up. :beer:

The real criminals get away with it while law abideing citizens are getting targeted more and more. e.g. traffic offences. :beer:

If your going to rob a bank drive away with 'due care and attention' you'll never get caught. :yp: :)

"An amendment to allow young people to continue to carry airguns to and from the places where they shoot was supported by BASC. It received all-party backing but was defeated by just three votes. This was a disappointment, and we do not believe this measure will contribute anything to efforts to reduce airgun crime.¨

Butchers Dog

You young uns as in the future of our sport where backed up by the biggest organisation that we have in the uk and the Government still passed the law.

>- Make it an offence for people aged 14-17 to carry an airgun or airgun ammunition in a public place, even if it is in a secure cover

This is only going to affect proper shooters. The criminally minded know that as an under 18 they will prolly only get off with a caution.

A 14 year old isnt going to go to Jail for 5 mandatory years are they.

Time they started acting on the irresponsible adults that let little johnny shoot the neighbours cat, whilst unsupervised from the balcony of their flat.

• 2 weeks later...

this is an outrage, i mean only the sensible members of society carry guns in secure bags and out in public any way. Most of the time this is for repair or the trip to the local gun club. I feel that anyone with un-lawfull intent is not going to carry a gun in a case or even out on the steet in public anyway. so why stop law abiding citisens from enjoying their freedom at which we earn by being honest and co-operative.

We the law abiding are the victims of the government and the ideas they pull from their *****!!

i am dissapointed by this :lol:

NoMercy

• 4 weeks later...