purse nets PROBLEMS!!!

Webby-uk

Hi guys just bought myself a hemp net starter kit .

Made about 3 or 4 good nets in past couple of days following the instructions found here http://www.nfws.net/nets.htm

Any way my problem is casting off !!

Cant seem to get it correct, tryed following the instructions on the NFWS link above but i still struggle.

Especially when i get about half way across and the ring starts to get full (ish).

sometimes i cant get the knot to tighten in the correct place leaving me with a little loose part !!!

Is there any other ways you guys use to cast off ?

Any help and instructions much appreciated :beer:

There is a simple sulution to this problem. On your last but one row knit two meshes together that way you have 8 meshes to fit on the ring not 16. As far as braiding the net to the rings, i found it a lot easier by hand and just use the ring as you would the meshboard.

There is a simple sulution to this problem. On your last but one row knit two meshes together that way you have 8 meshes to fit on the ring not 16. As far as braiding the net to the rings, i found it a lot easier by hand and just use the ring as you would the meshboard.

sounds good mate will try this later on and let you know how i get on.

another quick question is wheres my best supplyers for more twine as this roll of hemps not gonna last me that long :beer:

been looking at arthur carters, euroguns and deben all similar price.

Was thinking about trying to make some out of nylon too simply because of its rot proof properties :beer:

Any advice what i should get ? was think the spun nylon from arthur carters ?

Let me know guys cheers :yp:

I find that the easiest way to cast off is to the continue making another line of meshes, but thread it through the ring, without knotting to the ring. Then pull your new mesh off the mesh stick. pull the ring and tie a bit of hemp round the net, just next to your ring, there you go, I'll try get some photos up.

my friend has some nets like this, they were tied off on a small piece of wood :beer:

Will also have a try at this method cheers guys :beer:

Spun nylon I find is best of all Webby, dont get the thick fox grade stuff, get next size down. Its quite hard to get it at the moment for some reason. You,ll find that thin nylon is trickier to work than hemp. KP and S Nets Dorset is a useful supplier to remember, usually next day delivery as well.

which grade shall i get ?

Been looking at the spun nylon of Arthur carters, £23.99 for a 1.5kg spool ??

any good ?

I only use hemp or flax as i find that the spun nylon gets caught on everything and doesnt hold the rabbits aswel. I make my nets 20 meshes long and i vary how wide i make them some times i make them 18 meshes all the way through and some times i make them a diamond shape if i am in a rush i do this by tying 10 meshes onto the ring then working up to twenty meshes in the middle of the net i do this by when i get to the end of the row i bring the needlle back through the last mesh and then tie the knot as usual this adds another mesh o to that row.When i get to the middle of the net(10 meshes down) i start to decrease the amount of meshes in each row i do this by putting the needle through the last two meshes at the same time then i tie the knot as usual.

Not sure it will make sense but i hope it will. :huh: