new lab, need help

Joshcup11

Once again you talk rubbish most make mistakes it common unless they are like you mr perfect, the simple thing is don't rush his training to early and all will fall in place.

Your early training with your lab went well, no doubt. And I take it your lab is a credit to you and the time you gave it as a young pup. Well done.

It would be nice to hear of how you interacted with your recent pups and how this affected them as adults.

Thanks for the compliment by the way.

Labs take time to mature, you can correct your early mistakes quite easily with labs. There is no need to start labs to early, you can do more damage to the skeleton (bones) by to much work at puppy stage. Air on the side of caution and don't be tempted and get carried away with your pup.

Of course it depends on the mistake but totally agree with the thought behind this and you need not repeat yourself

Thanks for everyone's help! So this conditioning for example is stopping the pup whining and jumping up whilst the family is eating? Which could result if not stopped now in the pup once it is older thinking it is acceptable? Thanks for your advice,at the minute the most I do is the sit command and take it out with me when I go with my air rifle,which is just a walk for the dog as it is insanely quiet! Thanks for everyone's responses

Josh

:lol:

A contradiction, as per usual.

Not really very big differences exist between such things, but then I suppose you get perfection from the off unlike every body else who has ever trained a dog who needs to work on stuff and even add a little polish.

You see if you comprehended or understood what everyone else is saying on these threads.......................................................

Thanks for everyone's help! So this conditioning for example is stopping the pup whining and jumping up whilst the family is eating? Which could result if not stopped now in the pup once it is older thinking it is acceptable? Thanks for your advice,at the minute the most I do is the sit command and take it out with me when I go with my air rifle,which is just a walk for the dog as it is insanely quiet! Thanks for everyone's responses Josh

The first bit yes! the second bit about the gun NO way too soon its not just about noise. Dogs soon learn what the gun does and steadiness and obedience should be in place first, indeed all the other bits also. You are racing forwards in a train without laying the tracks first

My advice to Op'er is to do your upmost to avoid ealy mistakes. That way you don't have the headache and heartache of trying to undo them at a later stage.

Not letting the dog fail is the one most consistent thing you will hear from good gundog trainers. Minimise the failures and maximise the success's.

Good luck.

Don't understand what bit of THIS quote is rubbish E.W? I think the point is to Put into context for a puppy this means keep it fun and gentle but keep a thought in your head as to what your effectively allowing the dog to learn or do that may hamper future training.

Yes mistakes will be made however careful you are, as they will in the future! If you don't have things to work on in training you either are not training. Joshcup11, I think the key here is a bit of common sense.... Don't let the dog get away with murder but don't allow it to go too far wrong by asking too much too soon.

Set yourself and the dog up to succeed from an early age, don't train yet but have one eye on the future. The foundations of much of your partnership and understanding can begin now.

Edited by wj939

Thanks for everyone's advice once again! And so even though my air gun is quite the dog will understand what's happening when I raise the gin to my shoulder,and therefore should be obedient before hand? This next few months will just be having fun with the dog and bonding,but keeping discipline like it was mentioned earlier.

Thanks

Josh

Don't understand what bit of THIS quote is rubbish E.W? I think the point is to Put into context for a puppy this means keep it fun and gentle but keep a thought in your head as to what your effectively allowing the dog to learn or do that may hamper future training.

Yes mistakes will be made however careful you are, as they will in the future! If you don't have things to work on in training you either are not training. Joshcup11, I think the key here is a bit of common sense.... Don't let the dog get away with murder but don't allow it to go too far wrong by asking too much too soon.

Set yourself and the dog up to succeed from an early age, don't train yet but have one eye on the future. The foundations of much of your partnership and understanding can begin now.

You must have learnt something from the posts because you have used the very thing we are all trying to apply good old common sense something that is missing from my rocket scientist friend Basooka yes good old Common Sense.

You must have learnt something from the posts because you have used the very thing we are all trying to apply good old common sense something that is missing from my rocket scientist friend Basooka yes good old Common Sense.

I would say this isn't applicable when you buy in older dogs trained for you. That right E.w.? Kent jumed in a few posts ago and tipped you the wink not to reply to how your lab was coming on and the most recent of your pups. :yes::lol::whistling:

I would say this isn't applicable when you buy in older dogs trained for you. That right E.w.? Kent jumed in a few posts ago and tipped you the wink not to reply to how your lab was coming on and the most recent of your pups. :yes::lol::whistling:

Good of you to ask, the three older labs are fine fit and ready for work the clumber spaniel is fit and ready for work, my seven month lab bitch I've only just started she's out of a top trail bitch and her sire is mediteranian blue, she i hope touch wood will be my next trail bitch so not for sale this one.

I did take your advise and bought a pup from the best lines cost £1000 but they were not available to the general public as the breeder is a mate. I've only been training labs for fourty + years and still learning.

I'm lucky to live on a farm have own shoot so training is made a little less hard work than it's for most and my labs live out. Thanks again for asking and best of luck with the coming season.

Regards,

E.w.

Edited by E.w.

Good of you to ask, the three older labs are fine fit and ready for work the clumber spaniel is fit and ready for work, my seven month lab bitch I've only just started she's out of a top trail bitch and her sire is mediteranian blue, she i hope touch wood will be my next trail bitch so not for sale this one.

I did take your advise and bought a pup from the best lines coat £1000 but they were not available to the general public as the breeder is a mate. I've only been training labs for fourty + years and still learning.

I'm lucky to live on a farm have own shoot so training is made a little less hard work than it's for most and my all live out. Thanks again for asking and best of luck with the coming season.

Regards,

E.w.

The bitch never trialled. Good luck to you though, I see you did your homework ...as usual. :no:

Edited by Bazooka

The bitch never trialled. Good luck to you though, I see you did your homework ...as usual. :no:

Forgot to ask how are you getting on with yours bazooka any joy.

Take it you now admit you are in fact the one that "no's nothing" Manuel?

Edited by Bazooka

I did take your advise and bought a pup from the best lines cost £1000 but they were not available to the general public as the breeder is a mate. I've only been training labs for fourty + years and still learning.

I'm lucky to live on a farm have own shoot so training is made a little less hard work than it's for most and my labs live out. Thanks again for asking and best of luck with the coming season.

Regards,

E.w.

You live on fantasy island mate.