Police pulled me over

Rst1990

They shouldn't have. speaking to someone that worked in the control room who said that they where only to give info that was requested and that the police needed a good reason for requesting info. so if they were stopping a car they could ask for the owners name address and if it is insured, mot'd etc not if the owner has a FAC

As soon as a name comes up on PNC if that person is a shotgun or firarms holder that information is live on screen for the controler to see and inform the officer

Deershooter

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as a name comes up on PNC if that person is a shotgun or firarms holder that information is live on screen for the controler to see and inform the officer

Deershooter

Thats what i thought (but was told different) as both my son and my self have been both been stopped at silly o'clock and the cops pulled up a long behind and asked us the get out of our cars before they came up to us :)

Think both times were just around the time some nut case was taking pot shots at the police so understandable really!

The law is that, if you dont have a cert with you, your guns CAN be taken until you produce the cert.

This was enacted before PNC and mobiles/proper comms. So, the law still stands and can be used but if your gun is taken and you have to collect it, it would be interesting to see if you could claim expenses as there really was no NEED to remove guns with modern communications.

You wouldnt win, since the police have the existing law to fall back on. However put yourself in their place, they stop you and the computer doesnt have that gun registered to you (cert or no cert) if you have a cert with you, they are likely to be aware that their data is at fault if no cert, I'd run you in. They have to have a failsafe as there are illegal guns in circulation, its no problem to carry the cert and it makes you a HELPFUL, law abiding shooter. Helpful = reasonable treatment. It was always thus.

My certs live in the glovebox of my car. Can't ever forget them that way.

Don't forget the flip side " you are responsible for the safe keeping of this certificate". Also car gets pinched and they have your address ID and a list of goodies likely stored there.

I have been pulled for a search and it was the PNC check and full list of firearms held that stopped the process in its tracks. No guns present and I was two counties away from home, had my photo ID driving card as did my passenger another certificate holder. The officer was frankly a **** and his reason for the pull? I was driving a 4x4 with mud on it (in broad daylight in mid summer) he thought we might be poachers! But it was a posh bit of Cheshire and he was perhaps more used to black Rangerovers (sans mud) with low profile tyres and certainly no muck, two wildfowlers after a work party perhaps phased him. Apparently a car with a Manchester plate is a sure thing for them guys

Thing is, you can understand why police get all uppety around guns. Fairly dangerous in the wrong hands - and police always assume you are up to no good until proved otherwise.

If I was a policeman and someone said they had guns in the car, I'd be a little weary until checked out.

Seeing a nice flashy licence with the big cheese's signature on the bottom would make me feel much better.

I take mine in a leather wallet, kept in a bag, kept with my car doc's in the glove box of my shooting car. That way, if out and about and police collar me, I can walk them back to the car to see licence or if pulled they can see it too.

Regardless of legalities, keeping it with you SAVES AGRO and gets you on your way faster.

My question to the officer would be if he had a fac, if not then I would be commiting an offence letting him even touch my rifle. I would also ask him if there was a problem with his radio stopping him checking my credentials ...

Apparently they can seize guns without a FAC. Part of being a policeman.

I can see an over night stay in the cells in the future for a few people on this thread :lol:

#idon'thavetocarrymeticket

#wheresyourcertificatecopper

#attitudetest

I really don't see the issue with carrying your original FAC. If you're prone to losing things just put it in something that you're not likely to lose, like your jacket, gun slip, hide bag etc etc. If you're worried about it getting wet buy a 10p ziplock bag :rolleyes:

As i've had a gun taken by the police in the past* which got knocked around a bit and i travel all over the country shooting comps i always have my original with me as if the gun(s) get confiscated they're taken to the local police HQ where you're pulled and you have to go back for them once you have your certificate to hand, not much fun if you're 300 miles from home :oops:

*not for this issue

My question to the officer would be if he had a fac, if not then I would be commiting an offence letting him even touch my rifle. I would also ask him if there was a problem with his radio stopping him checking my credentials ...

They don't need one whilst in the course of their duty they can do most anything in fact and they can confiscate until you show up with a valid FAC. It might be better to be polite at least initially as you could well find yourself face down in the dirt with your hands in cuffs

this should be headed what not to do......rather provocative and a tad aggressive

A police officer in uniform has the right to stop and search anyone with reasonable justification. In uniform he does not have to have an FAC to handle your guns - he's an officer of the law. FeO's arent all policemen (often retired) they are known for not being always up to date on firearms legislation. Community police officers dont have all police powers.

Ask for their warrant card and give them your cert - fair exchange.

Some police are a pain but they are the law, comply and complain later if they overstep the mark.

I guess the grey area with thsi sort of topic is: What happens if your license is in for variation/renewal? Since you can still legally carry your guns but you might get them confiscated if the police pull you over. I wonder if the excuse on being asked for your license: well it's actually with your firearms department! :P

Don't forget the flip side " you are responsible for the safe keeping of this certificate". Also car gets pinched and they have your address ID and a list of goodies likely stored there.

By that point they have stolen my car....

I can see no wording that I am responsible for the safekeeping of the certificate itself. Where are you getting that from? I have to inform the police within 7 days if my certificate is lost stolen or destroyed.

Have you ever lost a FAC? (I mean miss placed). My wife did. She was quite nervous and rang up - all they want is a cheque and a brief covering letter and new cert arrives in the post. They ask if the old cert turns up for you to return them. They really didn't seem to care about the loss.

I was told that if you've a Gun with you then you should have your ticket with you too, just saves time and hassle For you AND the copper - was also told if stopped and officer asks to see gun, say

"I'm not legally allowed to draw it from it's slip here in public; details are on sgc/fac, if you want to confirm, I can come to Station or you can come to mine, but I can't get Gun out on roadside"

Otherwise, if officer asks to see weapon and You do show them by roadside, you're committing an offence and are nickable. Don't know the veracity of this, but better safe than sorry.

"I'm not legally allowed to draw it from it's slip here in public; details are on sgc/fac, if you want to confirm, I can come to Station or you can come to mine, but I can't get Gun out on roadside"

I don't mean to appear rude, but where did you hear this?

You can walk down the street with a gun broken over your arm. The law requires you to have a lawful excuse. Doesn't matter if loaded or covered etc.

We got stopped by some armed police early one morning going on a goose shoot all had original certificates with us all they done was open the gun cases in the car to check we had the guns on our certificates and give me the driver a search notice(which they have to give you).

But have been stopped at leased four times out lamping with a FAC and a copy of my certificate as always been ok.

Well my feo told me that a regular non fac officer can't just handle your firearm, admitedly he may of been saying so assuming they just wanted to 'have a look'

Your FEO is talking out of his bottom. Your force may have a policy of firearms being cleared by a firearms officer.

This may be at the point of seizure at a crime scene, or in the property office as a point of admin.

Insisting on a firearms officer would not go down well.

There are some pretty horrendous myths being posted here which reveals a surprising lack of knowledge by some who profess to hold sgc/fac.

Makes me think some form of compulsory training might be required.

Edited by happypig

I guess the grey area with thsi sort of topic is: What happens if your license is in for variation/renewal? Since you can still legally carry your guns but you might get them confiscated if the police pull you over. I wonder if the excuse on being asked for your license: well it's actually with your firearms department! :P

So what happens in that situation? Shorely just a pnc will do like what happened to me.