Police pulled me over

Rst1990

Your FEO is talking out of his bottom. Your force may have a policy of firearms being cleared by a firearms officer.

This may be at the point of seizure at a crime scene, or in the property office as a point of admin.

Insisting on a firearms officer would not go down well.

There are some pretty horrendous myths being posted here which reveals a surprising lack of knowledge by some who profess to hold sgc/fac.

Makes me think some form of compulsory training might be required.

I think you're right, legal training and literature would be helpful. Including for the FEO it seems! I think ALL police officers should receive firearms training. It is kind of worrying a police officer who has never even held a firearm can take responsibility for one they have found on a person. How would they know how to make it safe etc? The mind boggles especially hearing about the lack of safety shown by my local firearms unit when they use my local range and they are trained!

I did get the police called on me whilst out pigeon shooting the other week. The young female officer was very charming and didn't ask for my licence as she had checked my plates by the time I got to her and new I was legit and told me to carry on.

I am not sure she was so nice because I had a headcam attached to my head though! Although she was definitely hot for me too :P

Edited by srspower

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that PNC only lists that you are a firearms holder, not what guns you posess. How is the policeman supposed to know if that gun in your boot is the same one on your ticket?

Very true. I suppose you would have to wait for your variation ticket to turn back up so you can then get your guns back. My variation took 7 weeks :-(

Your FEO is talking out of his bottom. Your force may have a policy of firearms being cleared by a firearms officer.

This may be at the point of seizure at a crime scene, or in the property office as a point of admin.

Insisting on a firearms officer would not go down well.

There are some pretty horrendous myths being posted here which reveals a surprising lack of knowledge by some who profess to hold sgc/fac.

Makes me think some form of compulsory training might be required.

These sort of threads are always hilarious.

I thought that PNC only lists that you are a firearms holder, not what guns you posess. How is the policeman supposed to know if that gun in your boot is the same one on your ticket?

The PNC has ALL of the information available electronically that your FLD has, including makes/models/serial numbers, ammo limits, conditions, whereabouts in your house the cabinet is, the lot. I was told they have to specifically request the more detailed information though and its logged who/where/when/why so not every copper/civvie that fancies a butchers at what you've got can do so. I've been told this by 2 separate FEO's and had it confirmed by an ARV officer (from a different force)

EDIT: Re the variation/renewal issue. Simply don't send in your ticket with the paperwork, once the new cert is ready do an exchange either by post or in person if you want it quicker. Even though the new forms have on them that you must include your current/old FAC there isn't a requirement to do so either in the legislation or the guidance, they just put it on because its easier for them.

Edited by Breastman

Pnc does not hold all of that information. All it will have is a marker that the individual holds either FAC or SGC. No information of number or types of guns held. I can confidently state this is the case being a PNC user . All of the detailed information regarding an individual's guns etc are on a seperate system, the National Firearms and Land management System. FEOs have access to this as do control room staff.

No! Where on your licence is a condition that it has to on you when out shooting, there isn't. One of my best friends is a wildlife crime officer and he says no you do not need your licence with you, one quick radio check and all you details can be obtained.

they can get the info but the law still stands that if you cannot produce you licence when asked they can take your guns untill you do.

And i can't see any reason to change it. If some scrote has just been in you house and helped him self to your tv and a nice pair of purdys when officer plod stops him and the scrote says he is mr bloggs and lives at letsbe anvenue because he knows your name and addrees the computor will just say that the 2 gums serial number 00001 and 00002 are registered to that name adn address. Next time you see your prized guns will be on cctv footage of a postoffice hold on crime stoppers with 2 foot lopped off the end!

Oh for crying out loud -

Stop being big pansies and knowing all your rights like Vicky Pollard and just stick it in the car, it's not that heavy, it's not going to turn into a newt if left in glove box for duration of shooting, it just saves a little time if and when you get pulled over.

You may not NEED it legally, but it certainly helps get you on your way quicker. Such like when you get pulled and you have your licence and insurance docs and they then let you go, if you don't have them you get 7 days to drive to a station to show them... know which I'd rather have...

Mental mac

The voice of reason

And please will you listen to the likes of ozzy and myself..... We are on side and shooters

Pnc does not hold any more info than the fact you have sgc/ fac.... It does not link to your car registration.... Other systems check able by the control rooms will reveal more... National Firearms licensing management system -and or force intelligence.

You are "known not CRO". In most cases which means that you are on Pnc for another reason than an arrest or conviction.

Edited by happypig

Oh for crying out loud -

Stop being big pansies and knowing all your rights like Vicky Pollard and just stick it in the car, it's not that heavy, it's not going to turn into a newt if left in glove box for duration of shooting, it just saves a little time if and when you get pulled over.

You may not NEED it legally, but it certainly helps get you on your way quicker. Such like when you get pulled and you have your licence and insurance docs and they then let you go, if you don't have them you get 7 days to drive to a station to show them... know which I'd rather have...

Mentalmac, my sentiments exactly (see my previous post), if one can remember to pick up gun, gun slip, ammunition, decoys, ear defenders, shooting glasses, skeet vest, cartridge pouch, accessory bag, various choke tubes etc, etc then it really isn't that much extra effort to pick up your SGC licence IMHO. You may just need it to buy extra cartridges at a clay ground if you run low...

Just my two cents ;-)

No! Where on your licence is a condition that it has to on you when out shooting, there isn't. One of my best friends is a wildlife crime officer and he says no you do not need your licence with you, one quick radio check and all you details can be obtained.

What if your in a very undulating rural area and the police officer can't make radio / mobile phone contact with his base / station?

He has no alternative but to take your gun/s. It really is simple ladies and gents ...

Edited by Bloggs

they know who you where and that you had fac with in 30 seconds they got this info up befor the pull

Not necessarily Rob. Yes you can do back ground checks on the "Owner" of the vehicle according to pnc. But the

owner and driver are not always the same.....

I think that the more important question is, why did he search you, and did he have sufficient grounds to do so,

and were you provided with a copy of the search record, if it was practicable at the time, and you were prepared towait for one to be completed?

Jamie

Oh for crying out loud -

:lol:

Oh for crying out loud -

Mental mac

The voice of reason

And please will you listen to the likes of ozzy and myself..... We are on side and shooters

Pnc does not hold any more info than the fact you have sgc/ fac.... It does not link to your car registration.... Other systems check able by the control rooms will reveal more... National Firearms licensing management system -and or force intelligence.

You are "known not CRO". In most cases which means that you are on Pnc for another reason than an arrest or conviction.

Oh for goodness sake,you don't need to carry it, the police can check and you will be delayed only as long as it takes to check,having been stopped on numerous occasions and never having my licence on me yet miraculously i was inconvenienced for a couple of minutes,funnily enough the time it would take to read a piece of paper,which lets face it is easily forged if you want to.and no doubt they will look at a licence and still radio in for conformation of the details,i know that is what i would do.

If you are co-operative and friendly the majority of officers will treat you the same,they are only doing their job,and every one goes on their way with a warm feeling inside.

As for the last time i was stopped the officer ran my plate asked my name which confirmed my insurance and vehicle details, these would give my home address, he asked my age and then asked if i had the .22 or .17hmr with me, i confirmed i had the hmr and he then asked if i had any shotguns out with me, i told him no and every one was happy.My d.o.b, address,vehicle details and firearms owned all checked in minutes while me and his mate chatted about our NV.

So no disrespect to you serving officers, but the anti terrorist ARU unit down here in Dyfed Powys seem to be on the ball and know what to do and who to speak to,they never ask me for my licence.

An on the ball control room operative doing multiple checks on different databases.....

Which is what we all wish for, but seldom get.

Sometimes they have better things to Do than be your personal PA carry your licence be polite and you won't be held up.

Be an idiot and think you know the law and loose your firearms for the day and have a report put into you firearms Licencing manager.

I think if you see what work police control room staff do you will shocked

Sometimes they have better things to Do than be your personal PA carry your licence be polite and you won't be held up.

Be an idiot and think you know the law and loose your firearms for the day and have a report put into you firearms Licencing manager.

I think if you see what work police control room staff do you will shocked

I think you will find happypig is commenting on my post about the efficiency of my force area.

No one is advocating being an idiot,and no one on this thread has ever said their weapons have been taken into custody because they have not had their certificate with them.

What if your in a very undulating rural area and the police officer can't make radio / mobile phone contact with his base / station?

He has no alternative but to take your gun/s. It really is simple ladies and gents ...

Don't think we would have that problem here in Norfolk. I do carry my Certs with me but I don't not have to by law. It is Easyer to have them on you granted, the point I was making is it is not law there is no condition on your cert that you must have them with you at all times.