Nad Al Sheba 2015

Will Poon

Count me out, much the same reasons as Cat except I'm retired so can afford the time but not the expense. Although last year the entry was free, free cartridges and free food at the ground the cost of getting there and accommodation soon adds up to a not inconsiderable sum.

Now last year I followed this shoot on FaceBook and another well known forum very keenly and spoke to a dozen or more shooters who had been. So when I had cleared the sand out of my brain I came to the following conclusion, it would be too tough for me to enjoy the shoot and surely that's the reason for going? Not the food or the scenery, the people or any of that, that's what non shooting holidays are for (not that I've been on a non shooting holiday for the last umpteen years!). I don't mind challenging shoots, really enjoyed the BO Sporting and Sportrap a few weeks ago and they where challenging. The targets at Nad el Sheba where verging on the impossible for all but the very very best and anyone not shooting very tight chokes might as well not have turned up. Now there was not a single target at the recent British Opens that I did not hit with my 1/4 + 3/8 chokes (just didn't hit enough of them)nor where there any that I did not think I would hit whereas I've been to plenty of FITASC shoots in the past when I've looked at a target and thought "nobody can hit that". From what I can gather the majority of the targets, especially the simo doubles, in Nad el Sheba that fell into that category. I'm more than capable of missing ordinary targets, expert at missing good challenging birds but I'm too long in the tooth to travel half way round the world to stand in the desert, a featureless place with nothing to take a reference from, and be beaten up by birds that are way, way beyond all but the very very bests ability.

I've never shot Olympic Skeet or Trap and if I did I'm sure I'd not get into double figures x 25 for a very long time. At my stage in my shooting life I would not enjoy that, in fact I'd hate it. Well that's how I imagine I'd feel if the 2015 Nad El Sheba competition is as difficult as 2014 was. No I'll stick to my FITASC and Compak shoots in Europe, challenging enough for me and I'm mostly smiling when I step out of the stand not, as I imagine I'd be doing in Dubai, scowling.

Mr Potter

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear what your saying Captain Potter, I myself is under no illusion that I will do well there.

This time round its a holiday for me and my wife and shooting is put second place, mind you though with what's going on with all these utter knobheads decapitaing pepople there may not be a venue to go to at all if all hell breaks loose with war out there :no:

Will,

I hope you didn't think I was trying to put anyone off, Nad El Sheba is not for me in its current format, might have thought about swapping one or two of the European trips for it if the targets had been "kinder"

You seem to have it right, you're going to combine it with a holiday and the shooting will be secondary, I also think you're right that this ISIS business might scupper the whole thing.

I did have quite a few chuckles to myself since this shoot burst onto the scene less than a year ago. The number of shooters of, let's say average standard (and I include myself in that bracket), who were going on and on about the prize fund when they had absolutely no chance whatsoever of seeing any of it. That level of prize money does not only bring in the very best UK shooters but the very best from every country in the world. When you've got perhaps 100+ of the very best shots in the world chasing the top 50 places the chance of a UK B or C class competitor coming home with money is really rather remote.

So yes go and enjoy it and send back regular updates from the desert.

Mr Potter

Yes, very sensible comments from Mr P as usual, I must also say that one of the other reasons why I'm not too bothered about going is that the prize structure is not fairly balanced.

From the prize list for next years shoot published already on Facebook, it's pretty clear that there's still only 2 classes, Men or Women,....... that's it,............. no Colts, Juniors, Vets or Super Vets as you would find in a normal international event run under FITASC rules.

Now, most people would say, "so what..?", but when I enter a shoot, I like to think I have a fair chance of winning something, to me, that's what it's all about, (apart from the annual PW Charity shoot, where raising money for a worthy cause is the main objective).

Even with your entry fee of $350 refunded, you're still looking at probably well in excess of a grand out of pocket to enter the event, and with all of the top pro shooters from all around the World descending on the place, what chance does the average Guy have of even covering his costs, particularly if, like me, he no longer shoots in the top class..?

As I said, I'd love to go, I just hope that in future years they divvy the prize money up on a more equitable basis..?

Cat.

After reading the knowledgable advice of the PW charity shoot Captains. This desert shooting ain't for me.

My first go at FITASC was laughable,so shooting at random bits of sky and paying silly money to do so would not leave me feeling happy.

Thanks for the very good heads up for us club/occasional registered comp shots thinking of trying.

Now slightly off topic how good are these French shoots? My wife would probably enjoy a little trip with me for one of these.

Read Nicky T's report on the other forum you hint at on shooting in the USA and enjoyed reading his shoot report. Sounded a very enjoyable experience.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good luck with this one Will, the targets may just be a bit harder than Altcar but at least you will feel at home in the sandhills. Just be careful if you are discussing recoil reducers, for God's sake DON'T mention the ISIS pads ! You might also find that you are unable to shoot from your shower :lol:

• 1 month later...

It really was, no joking. Even though it was beyond me, I really did enjoy the challenge. You know when on a registered shoot sometimes you cut your losses and double barrel the first of a pair because you know half marks is better than no marks, well today I didn't care I just wanted to try them all! I managed 31/100 and the old man 52/100 and we were more than happy with that. I think Steve's going to try and do another maybe in January.