Visited by Police today (8AM)

maskedhunter

So my neighboors have stooped to a new low, Lieing and saying i was shooting cat's since they new since i told them i was well within my rights (you should see i have bed sheets hanging from one side of my garden to the next no way of a ricochet and i have a old double sofa bed tilted with a wooden table pointed down resting on it behind and pillows resting on the back and then the sofa before it comes near the fence.. basicly no way in hell anythings getting out.. they are just control freaks. ( i had tried to be reasonable etc) i.e checking if people are out in the garden before fireing, never before 8 am and never after 10 pm I also make sure there are no cats/ or any other animals (except rats shot on sight) behind or around my target before taking some shots.. once fireing animals stay away anyways but my point is.. i let the police officers in and showed them my rifle, explained it was under 12lbs and showed them my setup, when they said about shooting cats i was currently holding my kitten in disgrace like.. erm... are you crazy ive had cats my hole life, they seemed a little intimidated by my bullmastiff cross rott but once he smelt them and they saw he was ok he went up for a pat to the female officer, now after explaining i was looking for better place to shoot since the last thing i wanted was them arround again because they saind if they are called back that they will have to "seize" my gun?.. is that legal? my pellets dont leave the property. . . neighbors words vs mine on the cat shooting unfortunatly. i can give character statments from anyone saying id never harm a cat.. i wouldnt.. there pets.. so anyone .. any info that could help or anything! :/! dont want to stop shooting as atm i have no where else to shoot. but also dont want to run risk of loosing my gun!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem 5 or 6 years ago mate, they came called by my neighbour as i was shooting the greys in my garden. Had a baiting station with proper backstop, they had a look around and said the same thing. I keept shooting the greys as i was lawfully doing so and they never came back.

Can't see how they could take your gun without proof, they may be able to take it for ballistic tests to confirm sub 12 but would have to return it.

From your opening comment I get the impression there is friction with your neighbours, if this is the case did you point it out to plod.

Best bet may be to consult either a solicitor or your shooting org if your in one. It may also a good idea to have a solicitors letter sent to your neighbours.

Guess someone will be along soon with more knowledge, maybe one of the policemen on here.

You don't want to fall out with your neighbours as they can make life a misery. Telling them you would be within your rights to shoot cats isn't a good move. The police rarely have a good understanding of the law and tend to make it up as they go along so I wouldn't put it passed them to take your rifle.

I imagine it's a combination of having nothing else to do, and a general dislike in guns. Anti's are everywhere, I even had one trying to put in an appeal against me shooting on my own land, due to that there there was "wildlife".

Unfortunately, the police will probably lean towards the non-shooter on occasions like these, as in their eyes, it's you who is "disturbing the peace".

Contact BASC and explain. Maybe give an incident report. With no concrete evidence that you've been shooting cats, it's improper to confiscate your rifle, if you are shooting safely on your own property.

There is only so much you can do to please your neighbours. Maybe they haven't heard you can use a rifle for ft as well as live quarry. If you are taking reasonable precautions, pellets aren't leaving your property boundary and you haven't demonstrated aggressive or threatening behaviour with the rifle then what more can be expected of you. If in doubt cast your eye over the basc code of conduct for air rifles and if you are really hard up for reading material the relevant sections of the fire arms act. All online. Know your rights so you can put your case across should you need to. Cat shooting is a common go to complaint as it does happen but unless it can be substantiated then what complaint can you answer to?

You don't want to fall out with your neighbours as they can make life a misery. Telling them you would be within your rights to shoot cats isn't a good move. The police rarely have a good understanding of the law and tend to make it up as they go along so I wouldn't put it passed them to take your rifle.

you read wrong (not ur fault my grammar is terrible i appolagise for that) i said im within my rights shooting it.. asin my gun at targets.. not i have right to shoot a cat, i dont think i do nor would i ever infact id report someone with an air gun if they shot a cat myself..

One side i get on with - other side i used to he was living with his brother (bulgarians) ive been here a few years longer, the problem started early 2014 when his wife and child came back and his brother moved out, instantly noise complaints and the man of the house who i previously had no issues with atall started being arsey and asking me to do irrassional things, i already kept my music down from 9pm he was asking at like 7:30 (and im not getting complaint from the other side who i know would if it was to load since when i first moved in did go on like a little bit of a **** with my music i found the level which was okay within a week or two and never had a problem since, now ive got the gun for the past week.. already called police with lies, i actually as the police went to leave said could you possibly since ur hear go tell which ever neighbors complained that you have checked out everything im doing in here so you dont have to come back etc for something thats not illegal. again i state ID NEVER SHOOT A CAT >.. EVERVERVER!! :(

Many Regards,

&

Thanks for comments back appreciate the responses!

Matt!!

There is only so much you can do to please your neighbours. Maybe they haven't heard you can use a rifle for ft as well as live quarry. If you are taking reasonable precautions, pellets aren't leaving your property boundary and you haven't demonstrated aggressive or threatening behaviour with the rifle then what more can be expected of you. If in doubt cast your eye over the basc code of conduct for air rifles and if you are really hard up for reading material the relevant sections of the fire arms act. All online. Know your rights so you can put your case across should you need to. Cat shooting is a common go to complaint as it does happen but unless it can be substantiated then what complaint can you answer to?

Mate i even went as far as to showing him the gun before any pellets where fired, over the fence explained what it was and everything, no issues, wife comes back, day later... i get him being funny her mother is over so he was getting it from both females to say somthing to me, and did it in a rather rude mannor and i asked him to come out front so we could speak about it and said i checked if anyone was in garden there wasnt that his wife had just come out while i was shooting and sat down and i hadnt noticed her untill he had called me over to say somthing, i stopped shooting and said id let him know if i wanted to have a shoot, anyways, a few days later, same issue i checked no one, 10 shots later... garden has the wife sat there with a female friend talking in bulgarian and then again i get a whistle at the fence, i asked him to come strait out front instead of talking infront of his wife, felt it be easier for him to eat his pride a little since he was being abit of a ****, he didnt he carried on out side and was being totaly un reasonable asking me to seize fire completely i told him that politley i couldnt do that, we fell out he went in shouting somthing in another language and i walked in and chilled untill i heard his back door shut went out to see if coast was clear and had a few pops.. (still trying to 0 in the new scope i just baught but keep getting interupted...

Regards,

Matt!

This is there fault, the orriginal intension was to kill a rat that keeps getting very very close to my house i keep finding rat droppings around the bottom of our fence and what seems to be a run path under the fence to my garden from his, i heard noises from his garden put my head over and they have cat food out on the patio... they dont own a freeacking cat!!!! it was my neighbors big ginger tabby (who i love) and he was eating it and hes on a special diet i later found out after letting my other neighbor no that my other neighbors wife was feeding her cat! (which imo is what attracted the rat/ rats).. and they have the cheek to call up :/..

Regards,

Matt.

Seems BASC now have an airgun team and some helpful fact sheets.

http://basc.org.uk/airgunning/airgun-guidance-and-fact-sheets/

As onatanget says.

If this is likely to be a running saga consider getting yourself a notepad and keep a record of your target practice sessions. Time, target, shots, result and any 'unusual happenings'.

Its a faff but good records can trump vague assertions.

Looks as tho you can become an airgun member of BASC??? And lawyers can be a costly route

he asked me to stop fireing completely, also the noise complaint at 7:30 on a friday night.. what else my dog howled i forgot to leave the radio on for him and i got a noice complaint from council saying they complained about my animal, yet they leave there kid screaming for hours hes a little siren.

as soon as i get some money i will join the BASC im just skint after purchasing the .22 Stoeger x20 Suppressor

If you keep firing and disturbing your neighbours this will only end one way.....whilst you may well be within the law I would desist from shooting in your garden,you are clearly disturbing your neighbours and they would appear to be quite happy to keep calling the police out. The police have warned you and I would think they would confiscate if you continue to shoot.How big is your garden? Whilst loud music is one thing involving a firearm(which an air rifle is in law) will mean the police will feel obliged to act and I can only see you losing out. Go join a club/shoot elsewhere is my advice.

The police can't prove you shot a cat (which is illegal with no exceptions) and it's your neighbours word against yours. If the cops come round again be polite as the attitude test will be applied. They could take your gun from you but would either have to test it and give it back or give it back if there was no prosecution. They cannot take it and keep it unless you sign a disclaimer so just watch out for them asking you to sign anything.

Edited by FoxyChris

Op,

Ok here it is in less subtle form and from the outside and how I suspect the police are looking at you;

you have in the past caused them to visit because your dog was barking and causing a disturbance;You have played your music so loud they were called out;and your airgun potting in the garden disturbed a neighbour to the point they rang the police. Thats 3 recorded events we know of.

So a neighbour dispute has gone from dogs to music to guns......now we all know the law about airguns/safe backstops/pellet MUST not leave your boundary etc....however you have for whatever reason put yourself on the police radar on 3 occasions. It is your life your choices but a neighbour dispute takes 2 to tango,as someone with a gun I suggest you seriously consider how responsibly you use your gun but in view of all the above if you continue to shoot in such a way as you cause a nuisance you will lose. Your call.

Comes down to what is a nuisance. **** neighbours not letting you shoot is a nuisance. I am sure the air rifle doesn't fall under any environmental agency policy for being a statutory nuisance under noise regulations act. I could be wrong. Do what you enjoy in a safe and responsible manner and let your neighbours suck it up, or ****** off back to Bulgaria. No I'm not a xenophobic individual nor am I saying that in part the OP has brought this upon themselves but it grips my **** with petty rubbish that impinges on you occurs. If the police take your rig away it will be back unless they change the law to say millions of airgunners must now attend a range or have a permission. Its not breach of the peace and at best unsociable but then what isn't. Reminds me I must cut the grass, quietly of course.