Visited by Police today (8AM)

maskedhunter

The best advice you have received is don't shoot in your garden and annoy your neighbours . It may be legal but remember that most people don't like guns . Any sort of guns .

If I was you I would make up with your neighbour and find some where else to shoot . You don't want the old bill knocking on your door .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Op,

Ok here it is in less subtle form and from the outside and how I suspect the police are looking at you;

you have in the past caused them to visit because your dog was barking and causing a disturbance;You have played your music so loud they were called out;and your airgun potting in the garden disturbed a neighbour to the point they rang the police. Thats 3 recorded events we know of.

So a neighbour dispute has gone from dogs to music to guns......now we all know the law about airguns/safe backstops/pellet MUST not leave your boundary etc....however you have for whatever reason put yourself on the police radar on 3 occasions. It is your life your choices but a neighbour dispute takes 2 to tango,as someone with a gun I suggest you seriously consider how responsibly you use your gun but in view of all the above if you continue to shoot in such a way as you cause a nuisance you will lose. Your call.

110% bang on. When the bobbies are sent out to you following air rifle complaints, there 1st question will be "any previous incidents there and what?" As above there is history of neighbour disputes, despite the fact there havent been crime of the century they WILL NOT like mention of air rifles etc. Wont matter if your right or wrong they will step in they have to, as Dougall rightly says you will loose.

Sorry bud harsh but its how it is.

Op,

Ok here it is in less subtle form and from the outside and how I suspect the police are looking at you;

you have in the past caused them to visit because your dog was barking and causing a disturbance;You have played your music so loud they were called out;and your airgun potting in the garden disturbed a neighbour to the point they rang the police. Thats 3 recorded events we know of.

So a neighbour dispute has gone from dogs to music to guns......now we all know the law about airguns/safe backstops/pellet MUST not leave your boundary etc....however you have for whatever reason put yourself on the police radar on 3 occasions. It is your life your choices but a neighbour dispute takes 2 to tango,as someone with a gun I suggest you seriously consider how responsibly you use your gun but in view of all the above if you continue to shoot in such a way as you cause a nuisance you will lose. Your call.

my dog howled once or twice. discussed with other neighbor and they said it wasnt a issue normaly hes fine due to me leaving the radio on, I dont play music that loud thats my hole point they are irrasional, the council / authoritys didnt come out i just received a paper notification of a noise complaint from them, lol no police involved untill now with neighboors so i think again my bad grammar has gotten the better of yall :P! sorry.. And yeah ive gone ott with stopping pellets leave theres not one hole in my back fence.

Ive been nice, ive been patient waiting to shoot, ive back down, and now they have resorted to lieing to the police to get them to come over.. i repeat ***FIRST TIME POLICE CALLED BY NEIGHBORS**

Regards,

Matt.

and might i add i am never rude to police, nor my neighbors i eat ALOT of humble pie!

M.

I had a dispute with a neighbour (born and bred Londener who married a local lass) who asked me not to discharge my air rifle in the back garden as it frightened his dog. I told him his dog should not be in my garden (it wasn't, I was just being me). The following day he called round to tell me that he wasn't happy and that he would call the Police if I didn't stop, and would report me and also for letting my son shoot the air rifle. I told him that I was legally entitled to do what I was doing, as was my son, as he was under my supervision. He disagreed so I told him to go ahead and inform the police if he was sure of his facts, but that I would stop for now, but if my son or I wanted to fire it in the garden in future I would call round and tell him so, so he could take his dog inside.

He didn't call the police, and his dog has died since (nothing to do with me) but his wife has since told me he is terrified of guns; nothing to do with the dog.

Contact your shooting organisation if you're in one.

I did one better and said i wont shoot if him, his wife, or his kid is in the garden.. I thought it was over and then i woke up to the police, i think he took my being polite as i was trying to stop him going to the police but they called them anyways, Will look into hanslope! - how often is it open is it indoors or out door! does anyone know?!

I had a dispute with a neighbour (born and bred Londener who married a local lass) who asked me not to discharge my air rifle in the back garden as it frightened his dog. I told him his dog should not be in my garden (it wasn't, I was just being me). The following day he called round to tell me that he wasn't happy and that he would call the Police if I didn't stop, and would report me and also for letting my son shoot the air rifle. I told him that I was legally entitled to do what I was doing, as was my son, as he was under my supervision. He disagreed so I told him to go ahead and inform the police if he was sure of his facts, but that I would stop for now, but if my son or I wanted to fire it in the garden in future I would call round and tell him so, so he could take his dog inside.

He didn't call the police, and his dog has died since (nothing to do with me) but his wife has since told me he is terrified of guns; nothing to do with the dog.

hold on,

if we are to believe what the OP has already told us, HE hasnt caused them to visit at all.... the neighbours have caused them to visit by calling the police over what many would call very petty issues.

sounds to me like the neighbours have a habbit of making mountains out of molehills, just for the sake of it.

its a bit unfair to accusse him of putting HIMSELF on the police radar, dont you think?

oh, and a neighbour dispute doesnt always take 2 to tango. my next door neighbour despises the neighbour on the other side of her and has called the police several times over several ridiculous issues. best bit is, she has never even spoken to her neighbour!

hold on,

if we are to believe what the OP has already told us, HE hasnt caused them to visit at all.... the neighbours have caused them to visit by calling the police over what many would call very petty issues.

sounds to me like the neighbours have a habbit of making mountains out of molehills, just for the sake of it.

its a bit unfair to accusse him of putting HIMSELF on the police radar, dont you think?

oh, and a neighbour dispute doesnt always take 2 to tango. my next door neighbour despises the neighbour on the other side of her and has called the police several times over several ridiculous issues. best bit is, she has never even spoken to her neighbour!

Thank you.

Regards,

Matt.

The best advice you have received is don't shoot in your garden and annoy your neighbours . It may be legal but remember that most people don't like guns . Any sort of guns .

If I was you I would make up with your neighbour and find some where else to shoot . You don't want the old bill knocking on your door .

Harnser

So basically be compliant to anything your neighbours say and don't do anything you enjoy that may upset your neighbours.

Had a neighbour the same as that, gets to a point they will complain at everything you do or anything that happens. They even complained about a bees nest!

They should be speaking to the council and not the police. There is little noise made by an airgun, just make sure that the target it hits is a soft one.

True it's not nice living next to noisy neighbours but it also isn't nice living next intolerant ones aswell.

I have a double bed fouton with back up against back fence with a breakfast bar table lent over it at a down ward angle behind the targets (paper SMK and a rat with a nock down and reload and then 3 spinny zombie targets, then i have pillows with roses lid tin lent up behind the wooden between the wood and the thick cushians (tight thick material not some cheap *lidle pillow* haha) then the back of the sofa.. which no bulllet has yet made it two.. and to stop the pellets going anywhere side protectors and thick bedsheets all across side of garden, nothing gets out the garden not a chance.. police even said i obviously was trying to be safe they couldnt fault that.!

Regards

Matt.

The club is out doors and has quite a few members ranging from all ages , the people down there are very friendly and accommodating.

search the members tabb at the top of the page and you will find killshot there.

hope that was some help as everybody needs to start somewhere.

ml

with what i had .. best i could, doesnt show rest of garden like bedsheets either side all the way from one side of garden to other but u see what they have to get through, no pellets leave my boundries! I do a sweep check before for animals making beds around my back drop and at back after at back to see each time if anything went through.. nothing. even went as far as buying a silenced rifle (apparently quitest which is why i baught it lol)

Regards,

Matt..

Edited by maskedhunter

Matt

If you want somewhere to shoot without hassle I shoot at Milton Keynes Ari Rifle Club in Hanslope. Link to the website below.

We shoot every Sunday and Children over the age of 10 are welcome under adult supervision.

Although you are in the right is it worth the aggro if there is somewhere close to shoot with likeminded people and we can shoot out to over 60 yards if we wish.

http://www.mkarc.net

Cheers Neil

The club is out doors and has quite a few members ranging from all ages , the people down there are very friendly and accommodating.

search the members tabb at the top of the page and you will find killshot there.

hope that was some help as everybody needs to start somewhere.

ml

Yes mate you have been a very large help! Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction :)! Ta

Regards

Matt

Matt

If you want somewhere to shoot without hassle I shoot at Milton Keynes Ari Rifle Club in Hanslope. Link to the website below.

We shoot every Sunday and Children over the age of 10 are welcome under adult supervision.

Although you are in the right is it worth the aggro if there is somewhere close to shoot with likeminded people and we can shoot out to over 60 yards if we wish.

Cheers Neil

Matt

Cheers Neil

Again more info on it !! :) great ta, nah i understand fully as i said it was the ONLY place i could shoot untill now, hence why i signed up to this forum two days ago, so i was already (before the police came) was looking for somewhere else more suitable to shoot!, so this is all great news for me, its a shame its only a sunday shooting range! :P

Regards

Matt!

" a born and bred Londoner " ?

Didn't you tell him "it's a local town for local people"

Jim

( a born and bred Londoner )

Again more info on it !! :) great ta, nah i understand fully as i said it was the ONLY place i could shoot untill now, hence why i signed up to this forum two days ago, so i was already (before the police came) was looking for somewhere else more suitable to shoot!, so this is all great news for me, its a shame its only a sunday shooting range! :P

Regards

Matt!

Matt

Once your are a member you can also shoot Saturday afternoons we just restrict potential members to Sunday so it give the club intructors a chance to shoot on a Saturday as most Sudays they are helping people out. I hope this helps

Cheers Neil

Yeah that helps me alot mate.. Thank you!! :)

Also hope this isnt pushing it but do you know of any farmers, or any land where you can shoot rats etc, etc Im not sure if ill need help with the shooting itself as u said sunday they have to help alot, although anything i can learn are always welcomed, At the moment i can hit a 5 p from 30 ft - 10 yards, havent had further to try it yet! not sure if thats even hard since i dont know any other shooters, my mates cant do it but they are far from shooters, some are first timers, some mates talking about getting involved with me which would be nice!!

Matt.

As far as I'm aware no one can stop you from shooting till your hearts content within your own property boundry, as long as no pellets stray outside of it.

Noise issue might be a concern if its constantly pinging into a metal catcher or spring twanging on firing.

Figgy