Welcome from Milton Keynes

maskedhunter

Welcome Matt as regarding permission you just have to knock farm doors don't go dressed like rambo try to get some insurance farmers like to see that and be polite even when they say no. With an air rifle tell them you would like to do a little ratting always a good start then when you've got your foot in the door ask about other species rabbit squirrel pigeon etc remember the farmers the boss ask his advice, what and where's the best places to shoot is he having any particular pest problems but don't pester him with trivia,always tell them when your comming what your driving where you'll park, main thing is don't give up you may have to knock 100 doors before you get 1 yes look after your permission after all you'll have worked hard for it good luck

Thank you pistol grip, my main problem is finding farms to knock on i dont know of any! :( I live in milton keynes and have lived localy to central MK most of my life, lived in hanslope with my sister for abit but she moved along time ago and i was to young to ever make any contacts there nor was i there long enough!, Thanks for the advice though as soon as i find where local farms are two milton keynes ill give them a call / knock !

Regards,

Matt.

Hi and welcome.

Suggest that first you join BASC, membership then gives you several million pounds worth of insurance cover.

Other options apart from banging of farm doors is to get involved beating on a pheasant shoot in the area, having broken the ice with the keeper he may offer you some ratting around his feeders. I would leave asking that until you have been aboard for at lease a season though. Local shoot contacts, have a chat with Donaldsons gunshop in Bletchley or Steve at Sporting Targets in Risely. You will need a good set of thornproof waterproofs for beating, it can get wet but you will enjoy it, the crack on most shoots is pretty good.

A

Hi and welcome.

Suggest that first you join BASC, membership then gives you several million pounds worth of insurance cover.

Other options apart from banging of farm doors is to get involved beating on a pheasant shoot in the area, having broken the ice with the keeper he may offer you some ratting around his feeders. I would leave asking that until you have been aboard for at lease a season though. Local shoot contacts, have a chat with Donaldsons gunshop in Bletchley or Steve at Sporting Targets in Risely. You will need a good set of thornproof waterproofs for beating, it can get wet but you will enjoy it, the crack on most shoots is pretty good.

A

Hi and welcome.

A

What you said to me could not have been more alien, sorry bro i realy dont understand beating pheasants shoots? and i wouldnt have the first clue where they would be, and when! and i cant seem to even find a farm to even knock on one, So far ive tried a lake inn and a lake side mannor all with rabbit and rat problems, was told to come in on tuesday to speak to managers on one and other was closed, sunday sucks.. also went to go get some pellets and forgot they where closed today :( shocker right? lol should have known.

Yeah i plan to join BASC ASAP :) just skint atm :P!

Already been to donaldsons its where i baught the X20 suppressor for £200 wasnt happy when i looked up the price online :(, ah well im happy with the gun untill i can get a license for more powerfull rifles etc :)! i did ask if they knew of anywhere i could shoot they only seemed to mention blechelly gun range :/ Hmm whos steve at sporting targets and wheres risely sorry again, again thornproof water proofs i take that there wellys? it sounds like fun i must admit !!!! :)

Thank you for all the info mate, appreciate it alot !!

Regards,

Matt.

Don't panic about getting a licence for a more powerful gun yet learn to hunt with what you've got most people start off with an air rifle and rightly so the best if most underatted gun in our gun safes. They're what most of us cut our teeth on, still love and miss my old hw77. Check out some of the pheasant beating vids on youtube it'll give you some idea of whats going on basicaly it's scareing birds something we've all done at one time or another checkout the fieldsports channel link on this site and at the risk of being banned The shooting show all jokes aside the're both great as I said stick with the air rifle and learn to walk before you run.

ive been shooting air rifles since i was very young with my dad, hes quite abit older hes in his late 60's now and it was one of the only things we shared in common, unfortunatly my house that had a big garden we moved from it and i didnt have a garden worthy nor the means to go to a club at that age it was only a rat catcher! since ive just baught my x20 suppressor and zero'd it in im looking for somewhere to shoot!

i just felt soo good, was a fly on my spinning target thought id have a pling at it and got it! didnt beleive it till i went up and found what was left of it twitching only at 30 feet luck but felt so damn good haha! feel like i could hunt anything now ive killed the infamous fly ;)..
all jokes aside, again thank you to everyone whos giving / given me a warm welcome to PW.

Got alot of helpfull info etc.

Regards,

Matt.

Im sure ill be able to swing it some how, thanks for the info mate :)! what do i need other then a big pair of wellys?

<- total noob

I took a step into the odd and instead of farms have been trying local parks and theme parks near lakes etc, they actauly said they would get back to me on it since they are having a problem so fingers crossed i might have my first permission!!! :)

there's so much jargon in shooting, you'll get used to it.

From a good brace of cocks, to afternoons spent on the rape...

Seriously: Never be afraid to ask, it's better to ask and get 1 good answer amongst the 20 people having a pop than to have a go at something you aren't sure of and get hurt or arrested. No one is perfect to start with, not just shooting - I've taken some inspiration in more than just shooting from this site, usually ask anything here before looking elsewhere, lots of knowledge on here - and some good old arguing too.

Simple Glossary:

Pheasant Beating - Joining a group of other people (mostly with dogs) and a stick and creating a fuss in cover that pheasants will be in which make them fly over the guns who shoot them down (try to) with their shotguns. Good way of getting to know people who shoot and have permissions and the game keeper. Good for advice and contacts and if a full time beater, beaters day on most shoots.

Cock pheasant - male /Hen pheasant - female.

Ultimately that's game shooting - not the only type but a good way of meeting other people.

Another thing, being able to shoot spinners and stuff in the garden is great, but you'll often only be in one position. I found this when I went for my first rabbit. I was used to being sat on a pick nick style bench....

Practise a range of positions from prone, kneeling, standing etc... Get some life size rabbit print outs and draw a circle of the brain and the heart/lungs and practise your 5 shot groupings in the circles. And ensure you put the targets at varying ranges as with a .22 you'll have a fairly loopy trajectory path. It gets more complex when shooting upwards i.e into a tree for a pigeon, the trajectory drop is different than when on the ground and the kill zones on pigeons id different etc... Lots of reading to do and learning.

A lot of people on here would say about grouping into a 10p piece side target etc, I would suggest that that's a good idea but to be able to do that in different positions and ranges too.

OR else you'll do what I did, turn up, stalk and crawl into position close to a rabbit and clean miss it when i thought it would be a hard to miss shot.

Then when I got my first one, I got home and had to youtube what to do with it!

Again metalmac always a please to see your posts!, always great good info etc,
Thanks, so unfortunatly i dont have a shot gun or a license for one, would i just be a stick beater and ive not been lucky enough to hunt with my dog yet nor able to see what hes like around a group of strange people with other dogs shouting and chasing birds, hes only 2 bless him hes still thinks /acts like a 5 month pup!, Yeah my dad used to take my shooting with my rat catcher to kill rats, the odd bird ive had a little experience free hand, i lived with my sister a few years ago after the rat catcher with my dad and his air rifle was a little better then my old rat catcher, they had chickens so i used to sit with my rifle ballanced on end of my leg facing the direction of the rats (to much movment would make them scatter) i got some nice shots of free hand, im shakey now compared to before this stoeger is quite a heavy gun for a air rifle!

Super Sharp shooter,
Yeah that beating pheasants sounds good ill have to arrange a lift up to silver stone, is it this weekend or the following sorry, you said every other i wasnt sure which one it was on? i havent got a gun and cant bring my dog as i stated above, only got air rifle..

Sorry didnt want to just asume anything so sorry for what might seem to be extremely dumb questions lol!.

Again thanks ppl :)

Regards,

Matt!

Matt you won't need a gun for beating as the beaters walk through the undergrowth scaring the pheasants up for the guns to shoot though most beats have a beaters day at the end of the season for the beaters to have a go,

on a plus side most beaters get fed and paid all be it only £15-£20 but it will pay for your pellets for your hobby and get you talking to other like minded people

colin

Hi Matt.

As Colin said you won't need a gun to do the beating. You would be fed and watered and paid the usual £20 for the days beating. The first shoot date is the 18th October and the every 2 weeks after that. The ground I'd quite hard going with lots of bramble so you would need a good pair of over trousers and wellies. We meet at a local cafe near stony stratford before we drive to the shoot so you could meet us there.

SSS

Hi Matt.

As Colin said you won't need a gun to do the beating. You would be fed and watered and paid the usual £20 for the days beating. The first shoot date is the 18th October and the every 2 weeks after that. The ground I'd quite hard going with lots of bramble so you would need a good pair of over trousers and wellies. We meet at a local cafe near stony stratford before we drive to the shoot so you could meet us there.

SSS

Ah thats fine im glad i got it cleared up, thats great yeah any oportunity, would have done it for free but £20 covers my journey there and back which will be great! Super sharp shooter ill drop you a message nearer the time for the name of the cafe ? :)..

It all sounds like good sport & fun.

Regards,

Matt. :)