what age to breed a Springer spaniel ??

rec-baller

i have a 5 year old Springer spaniel, i would love to breed her , she is full K.C reg and i would like to keep her blood lines going and i would keep one of the pups for feild use,

i have never bred a dog before so please excuse the daft questions --BUT what age is considered too old to breed ?? and am i doing the right thing having a mother and pup in the same house ??

is there a list of K.C registered dogs ( stud ) for stud work in Lancashire and what sort of money does it cost for the stud dog ??

shaun

Edited by rec-baller

Five is a bit old for a first litter. Other considerations are the risks in pregnancy with an older bitch that you could lose her, not definate but a risk worth considering.

Why not look at her breeding and buy in another pup from the same breedline.

Some info from the kennel club worth looking at.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/media/8261/breeding.pdf

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Ideally earlier but then has the dog had chance to prove itself at a younger age? It don't sound ideal when you talk of mother and pup in the same house as I assume you have no kennels mother and bitch pups have been known to have some hum dinger fights and in all honesty I think breeders should have proper kennelling. I always go with the "can I buy better?" the market is full of proud owners who don't always see the faults. Stud fees equal a pup generally so your saving little and risking a fair bit

One way to have a harmonious household is to buy in a dog pup. Dog and bitch together always get on better than 2 bitches.

The dog could then have a vasectomy, which ensures he will not be able to mate your bitch successfully, but still keeps all the hormones and instincts to keep him at peak.

Or keep the dog intact and have the bitch spayed or have a ovectomy.

Both ovectomy (removal of the ovaries) and vasectomy are less invasive than spaying and neutering with faster recovery times. You might have to shop round for this as not all vets do them.

My setter has had a vasectomy for other medical reasons and he is fine.

Think of your bitch at 5 years old as the equivalent of a 40 year old woman having a baby for the 1st time, possible but high risk.

The perfect age to breed from a dog or bitch is the moment they have earned the right to be bred from. I would always say to people that are thinking of breeding " could you buy in better stock than you can breed?". If the answer is yes then don't breed.

Spot on.

i have a 5 year old Springer spaniel, i would love to breed her , she is full K.C reg and i would like to keep her blood lines going and i would keep one of the pups for feild use,

i have never bred a dog before so please excuse the daft questions --BUT what age is considered too old to breed ?? and am i doing the right thing having a mother and pup in the same house ??

is there a list of K.C registered dogs ( stud ) for stud work in Lancashire and what sort of money does it cost for the stud dog ??

shaun

if your happy with the dog she is in full health and you confident you can get good homes for the pups breed her there are risks what every age you decide to let her have a litter and theres obviously a point were they are to old i think its past 8 you carnt register the pups with the kennel club 5 isnt old and as for keeping a pup theres no reason why not i keep 3 bitches together they soon sort out whos top dog very quickly and your best leaving them to it unless they get out off hand

If you think your bitch is worth breeding off mate and in good condition go for it.as for stud it doesnt cost you the price of a pup unless you go to top ftch to better you breed,but some people try it on by wanting both (stud fee and a pup)tell them to shove it as they are having your pants down.it eithe q or the other mate.all the best with what ever you decide mate.

I was in a similar situation last year but went ahead she was just 6 when they were born. No problems at all but as said the risks do increase with age but it's still not that old. I kept a bitch who is now 14 months and no issues with keeping them together they have their pecking order in place and don't seem to have any issues with it

• 6 years later...

my springer is 6 and a half, shes had 2 litters before and all been healthy including mum both times , and shes in great shape. we wanted to breed one more litter but dont know if its safe? any tips? she’s recovered perfectly fine each time. fit and healthy with hours on the moors weekly, but we don’t know if 100% safe to breed again

On 03/09/2021 at 21:00, scarlett rose said:

my springer is 6 and a half, shes had 2 litters before and all been healthy including mum both times , and shes in great shape. we wanted to breed one more litter but dont know if its safe? any tips? she’s recovered perfectly fine each time. fit and healthy with hours on the moors weekly, but we don’t know if 100% safe to breed again

Welcome to the forum :)

I've no personal experience breeding from a bitch, but know plenty who have.  Spaniels aren't renowned for problems breeding at that age as far as I'm aware, but the best thing to do is have a chat with your vet.

My cocker pup's dam was just short of her 8th birthday when she whelped, all OK, no problems, just not a massive litter which I think is common as bitches get older.

The kennel club won't register litters from a dam over 8 years of age, presumably to discourage people from breeding the doo-dahs out of them up to an age when it's more likely the dam and/or pups will have problems.  However, 8 is elderly for a Great Dane but a Jack Russel may be only half way through its life!  Also the kennel club won't register more than three litters from a dam, presumably to discourage puppy farming.

On 03/09/2021 at 21:00, scarlett rose said:

Why is it you want to breed her? 

The market is absolutely flooded at the moment with people who tried to cash in during Covid and now the demand has dropped there are a lot of pups available and people struggling to sell them. 

There is a good chance you could get stuck with several pups yourself. 

On 09/09/2014 at 00:27, cocker boy said:

The perfect age to breed from a dog or bitch is the moment they have earned the right to be bred from. I would always say to people that are thinking of breeding " could you buy in better stock than you can breed?". If the answer is yes then don't breed.

Absolutely agree. Had many great dogs that might have produced good pups but prefer to get good stock off the market without the hassle. Lots of choice at present and unless your bitch is already fully health tested you put yourself at a disadvantage when selling the pups.