XC60

HDAV

So with my rebuilt gearbox it's time to consider our options.. Can't do a proper 4x4 but the ZxC60 appeals possibly AWD probably start stop will be missus daily driver. It's that or I let her have a juke in 2wd and keep a banger for me?

Anyone got exieruebce if the xc60 and its weak points? The claimed mpg is impressive is it realistic?

My buddy works for a Volvo dealership so if you come up with a year you are interested in I will ask. Over the years the issues with volvos has varied greatly be it engine swirl flaps, popping cores plugs behind flywheels, twin turbo failures, CAN bus issues due to water ingress etc etc. As mentioned they have a viscous 4x4, called haldex across alot of manufactures. Another thing that needs servicing and if anything like an s3 I had will be a pain to do. Another reason why I got an allroad with torsen 4x4 instead of the cross-country v70 platform with haldex. You will get better mpg with haldex.

Edited by onatangent

Depending on the year you will have to check for the unfortunately all too common swirl flap issues. The plastic linkage breaks under the pressure of the motor when it self tests, and it tests every 6th ignition afaik. There were also reports of caliper issues, primarily calipers seizing. On the whole though they do seem to be a reliable enough motor and very comfortable.

Common place unfortunately, bmw 330d, Volvo d5 spring to mind. You can get removal kits, blanking plates etc so not the end of the world. I was more concerned with rubberised core plugs behind the flywheel that would pop out, rotate and leak engine oil into the bell housing. Was a technical instruction issued but not advertised and was fixed if asked approach

Having one car and using it for hunting/shooting can be a recipie for disaster feathers and a funky smell doesn't go down well with the other half and when the farmer rings to say "I've got the black death down here" the little lady always says "But I wanted to see cynthia tomorrow " my experience is one for her one for you everyones happy and with a bunny wagon you don't mind the odd bit of hedge rash from time to time. Wish I could buy a Juke and give the wife an old banger but the streets a cold place to sleep this time of year.

Smaller engine sizes are then ford power plants, which I am sure are fine. See what you fancy and I will see if I can dish the dirt from within. At least then you can ask the right questions regarding recalls, tech bulletins and haggle on price with known issues that have yet to present themselves and so on.

I have a 2014 in D4 2WD flavour. Love it as a daily driver and loads of poke (manual gearbox). MPG is not quite as claimed and obviously don't go anywhere near dirt in it.

I did 250 miles today on all kinds of road and averaged 44mpg. Motorway all day see's low 50's and town driving is in the mid 30's.

Vehicle only done 4000mls so may get a bit better when it's run in.

I have a 2014 in D4 2WD flavour. Love it as a daily driver and loads of poke (manual gearbox). MPG is not quite as claimed and obviously don't go anywhere near dirt in it.

I did 250 miles today on all kinds of road and averaged 44mpg. Motorway all day see's low 50's and town driving is in the mid 30's.

Vehicle only done 4000mls so may get a bit better when it's run in.

That sounds ok is your a stop/start? Missus who would use it daily does a 12mile round trip in rush hour. I would use it for evenings and weekends have a company vehicle for commuting but no private use...no plans to leave dead things in the car but there is the issue if I want to go shooting she wants to go shopping... Also hope to do a bit of towing of small watercraft ;)

Yep, for start/stop, but the type of driving you mentioned, don't expect good fuel returns.

The one thing I dislike about the car is the lack of an auto park brake! It's a pain as the handbrake button is on the right hand side below the dashboard. And for some weird reason you push it too put it on and pull to release.

It's a small thing, but makes hill starts and pulling away from junctions a bit of a 'hand jive'.

Boot space is good and huge when read seats are folded down

• 3 months later...

That sounds ok is your a stop/start? Missus who would use it daily does a 12mile round trip in rush hour. I would use it for evenings and weekends have a company vehicle for commuting but no private use...no plans to leave dead things in the car but there is the issue if I want to go shooting she wants to go shopping... Also hope to do a bit of towing of small watercraft ;)

Surely asking for trouble - 12 mile round trip in rush hour in a diesel is far from ideal.

Surely asking for trouble - 12 mile round trip in rush hour in a diesel is far from ideal.

Plug in is the answer, but if we go to one car it really isn't...

It's not really the 4x4 aspect (although I have always wanted one) if I get a new job things will change but it will make my 100mile round trip commute more painful! As I get to do that in a lovely base model corsa van......

I have recently, early November, bought the new XC60 D5 with all the bells and whistles.

Being AWD It is quite capable off road as it has good ground clearance too.

I would not dream of thrashing it or attempting some of the lanes the tractor uses but normal fields with the odd small ditch or two, can be managed quite well.

On the road it comes into it's own, a dream to drive but with a rather noisey engine on pulling away.

I have the auto box and can state emphatically that all 'book reference' to mpg is all lies.

I am a bit of a heavy user so my 30+ mpg can probably be improved upon by the normal driver, but having only done just over 2k, mpg may improve as it settles down.

VOLVO UK is doing a special deal at the moment of 2k off across the range and with a bit of bartering with your local dealer can probably get a good deal.

Volvo are part of the BASC discount scheme, although it shows as expiring at the end of this month

We've put 12k on a Forrester since April. Never had a Subaru before but to date are liking it. Recorded 43 to the gallon since we bought it, would do nearer 50 if my wife drove it more often! Used it for picking up etc since August & I've not been stuck with it yet.

Edited by PERCE