16g Geco M.G.STAHL side by side hammer shotgun

Dan.lord

Hi all, i recently acquired this shotgun, & I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge regarding it's age etc. as you can see it's a bit worse for wear in places, but it's nice & tight & has plenty of proof marks etc. I think it's of German origin. It has Geco & M.G.STAHL on both barrels & also on the butt plate. Serial No 6760, & has all matching numbers.

I'm only keeping it due to it being a pretty piece & fits well into the collection :-)

Oh any idea's on value would be nice too :-)

Cheers Dan.

post-70044-0-48133800-1410439759_thumb.jpg

The 17 over 1 indicates that the gun has passed the nominal .663 for a 16g and has gone somewhere between 16g and 17g.

The mark with the "U" underneath is a German "Second proof/double proof" mark whilst the "W" shows it to be a choked barrel as is the 16 in the diamond (London mark).

The arm holding the sword with "NP" is a London nitro proof mark whilst the 16 in a circle is obviously for 16g.

So it looks as though this was initially proofed in Germany and was later re-proofed in London where the barrel was ascertained to be out of 16g proof and so re-proofed to 17 over 1

The 17 over 1 indicates that the gun has passed the nominal .663 for a 16g and has gone somewhere between 16g and 17g.

The mark with the "U" underneath is a German "Second proof/double proof" mark whilst the "W" shows it to be a choked barrel as is the 16 in the diamond (London mark).

The arm holding the sword with "NP" is a London nitro proof mark whilst the 16 in a circle is obviously for 16g.

So it looks as though this was initially proofed in Germany and was later re-proofed in London where the barrel was ascertained to be out of 16g proof and so re-proofed to 17 over 1

Many thanks for the information, all sounds very interesting. Not fired it yet, but hope to soon. Cheers Dan.

• 5 years later...

Very interesting, I also have an MG Stahl 16 bore hammergun inherited from my uncle. He was in the British Army and stationed in Germany for a while. I think he may have picked it up from someone there or a fellow officer who brought it back. I've had it about 20 years now and I have used it. It was nitro proofed at some point and is ok with ordinary 16 bore game cartridges.