How to tell the difference between Deben Mk1 & Mk2

Madcowz

Hi,

I have been looking at quite a few Deben Ferret Finder Ebay items to try and get a well priced Mk1.

The trouble is, if the seller doesn't say which mark it is or doesn't know, can I tell from the picture what it is? Were the Mk1's of a certain design etc?

Or were there so many revisions and seign changes that it is impossible.

thanks,

/Mad

<Reading Ferret books by the barrow load>

You could always use the, "ask the seller a question" facility and find out for sure.

mmh yes, I have., but some just don't know!

I have seen plenty of grey boxes sold as Mk2. Whereas Ferret Boy says they look more like the Mk3 (and I have seen a Mk2 on ebay that looks like a Mk3).

Confused.

The MK 3, which looks like the MK 2 below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Deben-Ferret-Finder-...1QQcmdZViewItem

And the MK 1 below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-new-Deben-8ft-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope that sorts the confusion out for you. :P

Frank.

That does indeed, thank you.

It must just be the Ebay sellers being confused (not the first time) as if you do a search, there are quite a few Mk2 which look like the Mk1. Just checked and there are none there just now, typical. But here is one that ended a few days ago:

http://shrunk.net/76ac1369

From now one I will go by how they look, not the description.

next question...

8ft or 16ft. Is the search area rather than the depth?

thanks and sorry for all the questions.

/mad

Don't buy a MK2. They are ****. Invest in a MK3 or Mk1. :P The MK3 searches at 16+ feet and pinpoints accurately at 8 feet. :good:

FM :lol:

Who in their right mind is going to dig down 8ft to a ferret?

Hence my question earlier about the 15ft locator. Is this 15 feet down the way? Or is this the horizontal search area it will pick up a signal up from?

Still confused.

/Mad

Next question...

There are quite a few mk1's going for £100+ on Ebay.

Would it be wise to go for a new mk3, with warranty and good availability for spares?

If the noise annoys me, I can do what I normally do with the kids toys, spot some glue into the speaker holes to reduce the volume.

thanks,

/mad

Next question...

If the noise annoys me, I can do what I normally do with the kids toys, spot some glue into the speaker holes to reduce the volume.

thanks,

/mad

Mad :angry::angry::angry: they do have volume controls on them. That is how you pinpoint where the transmitter is. :D:no: :yp:

BTW as long as you have a transmitter any radio receiver that will receive that band, will tell you where it is. Mate of mine used to use a hand held portable radio, with his collars. Worked well enough once you got used to it.

Don't buy a MK2. They are ****. Invest in a MK3 or Mk1. :good: The MK3 searches at 16+ feet and pinpoints accurately at 8 feet. :)

FM :)

Who in their right mind is going to dig down 8ft to a ferret?

:D:D:) MY DAD! Trust me. :good: My Mum who had said we were never to have ferrets wouldn't let him back in the house if he came back home without all 3 of her precious bundles of fluff. :good:

Digging is always an option. So is a pneumatic drill/JCB if required. :D We would never leave a ferret behind. :good: Not had to dig 8ft yet though. (touches all available wood again) B)

Now on the subject of digging and now that Jordan is mooching around on here again here's a suitable pic. ;)

TheNotoriousPoacher.jpg

FM :)

if your not going to attempt digging down 8ft, why even worry about putting a finder collar on the fert in the first place :unsure:

Good question.

I would hate to dig down further than that here, as we have heavy clay soil which in the winter is like sticky cement and in the summer is rock hard.

Even eight feet would be horrible to do, but don't you owe it to your animals to do it?

What is the deepest anyone here has dug their ferret out?

/Mad