A trip to the woods,

maskedhunter

This is a lovely big 5 and a half foot grass snake which shot stinking anal fluid onto me on my journey through the woods!, hissed alot but didnt strike although it made some pretty convincing positions coiled up looking like he would attack, and me being a nature noob wasnt sure if it was venom i got shot at me from a adder .. no once i looked it up i see what it was ... anal fluid .. nasty and realy does stink to high heavens (id stay away from these little ******* unless you want to smell like absoluty nastyness for a while).

Regards,

Matt.

Edited by maskedhunter

Not much good without pics to let us see it I was attacked by a big dragon fly the other day it flew strat in to the side of my nose now I am not saying that I have got a big nose but it did not half make me jump by the time I got my camera out of my pocket it was gone.

Good camo there - can't see a thing :lol:

I posted a pic - wasnt aloud wrong formatt, couldnt find the rules about formatt :(! gave up :?

Regards,

Matt.

We used to catch grass snakes when we were kids and yes that substance they expel when they're not happy really does stink! Its also very hard to wash off your hands too.Still see them during summer-usually basking on old pieces of concrete around the old sand & gravel pits.

Havent seen a slow worm though for many many years.

Found this one yesterday, crossing the main road through the Wyre Forest. Released safely on the other side....

imagejpg1_zps80b3c091.jpg

That is a lovely slow wurm I found one of them a few months ago as for the spider I do like spiders and but that one with the great big body looks a bit dodgy to me I would have no worries about handling a big tarenchula but could not touch that one.

Used to have competitions as a kid to see who could catch the biggest grass snake. Only ever got bitten once which was totally my fault. The scent they release stinks and like has already been said is not easy to get rid of!

Still see a few grass snakes and adders but nowhere near the numbers we used to see.