How Many Rounds Do You Carry?

roebuck1

Hi Guys,

I'm going roe stalking for the first time on Wednesday. I used nearly all of my 20 rounds zeroing in the rifle. I now have 2 bullets left.

Would you say 100% buy some more, or will 2 be enough.

Gun dealers away on holiday and cant find anyone who sells the .243 Fiocchi soft point 100 grain bullets I need. As dont have time to re-zero with another brand.

Best Regards

Chris

2 will not be enough, you may need (hopefully not) a follow up shot. That's your 2 bullets gone. Its your choice what road you go down but something worth remembering is whatever bullet you choose make sure you can get a good supply.

No gun shops on the way to your stalking area that sell them ???

HI Chris,

Can I guess you are taking a paid day/stalk with a guide?

If so, some carry their own gun for a follow up shot. Might be worth checking.

If you only intend to shoot 1 deer, you may be fine but 2 is really not enough if yours is the only gun, belt and braces and all that. Better to be humane and safe and buy more.

If your guide has one, then all is not lost.

Have a good day on Wednesday.

You will be gutted if it isn't enough. Belt and braces has always been my motto for most things. Better too many than not enough.

How long will it take to re-zero with another round, I have only done this with an air rifle.

If they are your favourite round, see if there are any dealers on your way to the stalking and reserve some over the phone to pick up on the way if you are going to be going past after opening time.

You will be gutted if it isn't enough. Belt and braces has always been my motto for most things. Better too many than not enough.

How long will it take to re-zero with another round, I have only done this with an air rifle.

If they are your favourite round, see if there are any dealers on your way to the stalking and reserve some over the phone to pick up on the way if you are going to be going past after opening time.

OMG

get your tin hat on sir

Two rounds is not enough, you will need to get more, I usually carry at least 5 when out stalking usually more, is there maybe a dealer near where you are going stalking who can help you out. But as pestcontrol1 says pretty much any other 100gn rounds wont be far out and you will get it back zeroed in 2 - 3 rounds this will not be a problem for whoever you are stalking with if anything they will help you get it zeroed quicker than you would on your own if it took you 18 rounds to get it there before.

If your going from low ground to high ground your zero can change, if you knock your gun etc. However above all you never ever fire the last round in your mag stalking it stays there for back-up. The best you can do is shoot one shot at an unshot deer- provided the gun is still zeroed.

Don't fret over another box of the same you should not be far out on a 100 yards zero with any similar (just shoot three shots and dial any correction required in) but for pity sake buy a couple of boxes this time and don't go down to less than a spare box at any time again.

I plan to take at least five rounds out if I am only after 1 deer because what do you do if you shoot a doe / hind and then two previously unseen young followers turn up etc. if I am out to take numbers on a cull say I carry many more, because you never look a gift horse in the mouth to achieve an early cull

Have a single shot rifle and a butt stock shell holder. I usually have 5 or 6 on the stock, that is far more than I am ever likely to need on one stalk. I have had the best part of a week in Scotland stalking and come home with a clean bore stalking morning and evening, done that twice now in four trips.

A

Edited by Alycidon