Mitsubishi sport starting problem

mickanles

Hi,

Are there any Mitsubishi tecs on board ?,

Have recently bought a cheap 2002 shogun sport 2.5 which is nightmare to start either hot or cold, Drove home 200 mikes ok.

Just keeps cranking over and over but will eventually fire up, No excessive smoke, Then there is no response from throttle pedal for a minute or so.

It has had tank sender and pipes, thinking it was pulling air in.

I have heard of failing injector pump front seals , Not allowing fuel to be drawn up from lift pump part of pump.

Was thinking of feeding pump straight from a raised can to eliminate tank to pump supply.

Other than that booking it in for a diagnostic check, Any ideas or help taken on board.

Yep try the raised tank method first, that should rule out pipes and pump seal, if the engine then starts ok try some clear hose between filter and pump, if it's drawing air in it'll be very apparent, then try the clear pipe between filter feed pipe and filter, doing this will rule out the filter head or corroded steel pipes on the chassis. No air and starting fine would suggest pump seal.

Update with what you find

Quick update, Ran with a raised fuel tank, no better.

Had fault codes read and came up turbo over boost , Possible sensor fault?

Tried local fuel injection centre and suggested to run with a clear feed and return pipe on pump,

Check to see if there is air on the return but not feed as may be a pump fault.

Failing that maybe a compression test as has been suggested.

Yeah over boost does not mean it's creating to much boost but rather boosting more or for a prolonged period without the boost pressure climbing to suit, at a guess your egr was leaking boost pressure hence the over boost code

Glow plugs? ???

Indeed easily over looked check em out and supply voltage / current

Quick update, Ran with a raised fuel tank, no better.

Had fault codes read and came up turbo over boost , Possible sensor fault?

Tried local fuel injection centre and suggested to run with a clear feed and return pipe on pump,

Check to see if there is air on the return but not feed as may be a pump fault.

Failing that maybe a compression test as has been suggested.

On my L200 Boost sensor failed and if I remember rightly it went in limp mode

Easiest way is to run live data, can eliminate a multitude of sensors. As I said about my egr, gave boost spikes, boost frequency valve drop offs, soft intermittent limp mode. Never had a prolonged crank start issue though was just a bit longer than the norm. Even with seized vnt that I had to decoke. Ideally get the diagnostics hooked up and try starting it while looking at the things that have been mentioned here, pump priming, rail pressure, inlet temps as might think its cold start condition when its not or vice versa and any other measuring block of use.

It's the 4d56 engine I'm assuming so relatively uncomplicated. Personally with starting I would check glow plugs as mentioned. If it runs fine once started then it's quite possible, my last l200 was fine till 3 didn't work then played up. Dead easy and free to check before going any further.

Today I removed all glow plugs and checked on a battery, 1 knackered so replaced, Fitted clear fuel lines and ran up , no air visible on feed or return.

Still a **** starter.

Will check timing tomorrow, Failing that will have to buy a diesel engine compression tester as my petrol tester will not handle/read the higher pressure , Which I hope to see.

Hope to sort this out sooner than later.

Thanks for your replies :good: