Diseases from pigeons

charles sierra

pigeon decoyer has posted elsewhere on the site, that he is 15 years of age.

Lets go easy on him.

I'm not argueing with you cranners but if he was able to say that stuff about dildos to Y.P. on the general banter page then theres no point in shielding him.

• 3 years later...
Thanks for all the info folks.

Can you also comment on this please if possible:

Although I'm no expert at bird identification I know what feral pigeon, collard dove. stock dove and rock dove look like but why am I finding a pure white bird roosting in amongst these ferals? They look just like the sort of doves you find in a dove cot but these are definitely roosting in the building every night and therefore I conclude are not someones pets. They are more or less the same size as the ferals.

The area where I'm carrying this out - (clearance programme) -is an Industrial Site and there are no residential dwellings in the immediate vicinity. Once again, any thoughts/ comments welcomed.

C.S.

Feral pigeons are by definition of no particular colour/type and you'll find they come in many different colourways. It's highly unlikely you'll come across true rock doves in Essex but stock doves could be a problem (protected) and the general rule/law is that if a domestic style pigeon has a leg ring it is also protected. As for diseases if you exercise general hygene precautions and common sense you shouldn't have a problem. Getting the HSE involved might be the worse thing you ever do :good:

{The problem you get from their droppings is called pigeon fanciers lung but you can get it from large amounts of other birds droppings aswell.}

not just the droppings but the Bloom ion the feathers is the main cause of respiritory problems....The bloom is a fine powder / dust that builds up on and in the feathers, thats why on occasions a a pigeon flies into a widow a perfect white imprint is left........................wear a mask when handling large no-s... :good:

{The problem you get from their droppings is called pigeon fanciers lung but you can get it from large amounts of other birds droppings aswell.}

not just the droppings but the Bloom ion the feathers is the main cause of respiritory problems....The bloom is a fine powder / dust that builds up on and in the feathers, thats why on occasions a a pigeon flies into a widow a perfect white imprint is left........................wear a mask when handling large no-s... :good:

Maybe becouse these widow wears black? :lol:

Feral pigeons are also known to carry E-COLI 0157, Chlamydia and Salmonella

Hammer, I would like to know how you can catch Chlamydia from pigeons given that its a sexually transmitted disease. Or is there something you wish to share with the group?

Clamidia is psittacosis. It can be carried by many different animals. Sheep can be the worst offenders, in sheep it is known as ovine enzootic abortion.

it is not nescessarily sexually transmitted and can find its way into the body through cuts etc and through the mucus membranes.

Aviary birds are particularly prone to it and should be regularly tested for it.

Leeboy

I dont really take any notice of pigeon diseases, my grandad said as long as you cook them it will desolve any diseases away. but i dont really care every pigeon i have ever eaten which must be a few hundred, they have all tasted the same and i have never been ill after any of them!

I would never take any notice of what any one says because must of it is all bulls**t. PD

mate, you should take notice. Ferals especially can carry more disease than rats. Many diseases can be killed by cooking but you would have to virtually incinerate birds to kill all bugs.

Your granddad is not giving good advise !

• 2 weeks later...
Feral pigeons are also known to carry E-COLI 0157, Chlamydia and Salmonella

Hammer, I would like to know how you can catch Chlamydia from pigeons given that its a sexually transmitted disease. Or is there something you wish to share with the group?

Have you never heard of Pheasant and Pigeon Pluckers :good: