Next rifle

Just a hypothetical question here.

Have just got my .222 and very pleased with it, but already thinking of the next step. Would .243 or 6mm be the obvious choice,what do members think? Accuracy is very important.

Thanks

does there need be a "Next step"? some go their whole lives with one calibre / rifle. whats it for?

As I said,really happy with .222 and probably is only hypothetical,as in Shetland there is no large game.

Just wondering if you had a .222/223 which other calibre would you own?

To be fair, I had a .222 for best part of 20yrs for foxing but decided on a .204 a few years ago instead (no particular reason, just fancied a change). Depending on how you look at it, it may be a step up as in performance but it could also be a step down as in calibre size, bullet choice etc. In reality and most situations there isn't a great deal of difference. For what you require I would stay with what you've got but if you do fancy a change, why not. .22 hornet, .204 ruger, .20tac/prac, .220 swift, .243 win plus a lot in between and bigger again.

As already mentioned, you get what you need, so what do you need to do more than a .222 will achieve?

As I said,really happy with .222 and probably is only hypothetical,as in Shetland there is no large game.
Just wondering if you had a .222/223 which other calibre would you own?

None, if I didn't have a use for it!

600 nitro should just about cover everything I think, Nigel.

Not looking to 'climb the ladder' of calibres,only an idle thought. Read a post where the fellow thought .243 was too close to .223 to be a useful addition.

As I said,just a idle musing

Useful addition for what?

.243 is circa 40-55% more powerful than .223!

Edited by Dekers

If you have no large game then get add a .22 rf because the .222 will do everything else you ask of it, indeed it will do deer just not legal on anything but Roe in Scotland

and Muntjac, CWD in England surely

I have a .243 and no longer use it due to owning a .222 and living in Scotland

It is by far the best calibre I have ever used on roe

don't see any real benefit of both .222 and .243 unless you require a Roe.Fallow/Red hinds calibre in England

if not I would aim for a 6.5 in x55, .260 flavour

.243 is legal for all deer, the 6mm isn't as it's .236 and the minimum is .240.

Bullet diameter of 6mm Remington is .2435 so deer legal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6mm_Remington

6PPC, is ,2430 so deer legal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_mm_PPC

6BR,6 Dasher and 6 anything else all the same, all deer legal assuming you are getting 1700 ft lbs of energy in England.

Most 6mm cartridges when home loaded are loaded using bullets with a .2430 diameter. The Barts Ultra has a driving band at .2435 which in a tight neck rifle could cause pressure problems.

A