South Africa - professional hunting

spartan7510

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I know it does not look good with the Monkey but I have been in the area when a Baboon cull shoot was taking place and I understand why it needs to be done, they can be so vicious and deadly. Sadly if they are allowed to go on as they can it could be devastating and lead to many of them being severely injured or killed in the squabble. In the case of the Giraffe, it is obvious that this beast is an old one and was probably needing culled, either due to injury, age with the aim to preserve the others on the ground.

I could never see the thrill or enjoyment until i saw one terribly filmed clip of a group of men tracking a confirmed man killing lion, they had been stalking the lion for a while until it went into thick brush with visibility at 10 yards maximum. They heard it roar and lined out awaiting the lion to charge, the lion charged took four or five hits at 30 yards away from double rifles but made it on energy and adrenaline to one of the men who at one yard shot his second barrel causing the animal to stop dead about a yard away. Its must have been terrifying and adrenaline fueled. The lion had killed people, the lion had killed livestock, the lion needed to be removed, someone sold that job to hunters who would pay good money for it.

Ive always found it distasteful, can certainly be sporting, if the opportunity came my way i would do it, but i wouldn't rush to spend money on it.

Debate aside cracking pictures, best wishes to your mate in his endeavors.

thank-you for sharing that, i totally agree its not for everyone. your post reminded me of a movie back in the mid 90s if you have not seen it, i certainly recommed it as a good watch - The Ghost and the Darkness

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116409/

In 1896, a construction engineer from the British Army, J.H. Patterson is sent to build a railway bridge across Kenya's Tsavo River for the British East African Railway. Soon after he arrives, workmen begin to disappear at night from their tents - never to be seen alive again. The engineer soon discovers that a pair of man-eating lions are stalking around the bridge and campsites, killing the workmen for food. He tries a number of different methods to get rid of them, but the beasts always seem to know what Patterson is doing and avoid being shot. After 30 men have been killed Patterson's boss recruits a hunter, Charles Remington to hunt down and destroy the lions. But the lions continue killing the workmen until they flee the camps, jumping onto the train as it rolls through Tsavo. Now Remington, Patterson and his aide must face these brilliant yet frightening monsters alone.

- Written by Derek O'Cain

Edited by spartan7510

thank-you for sharing that, i totally agree its not for everyone. your post reminded me of a movie back in the mid 90s if you have not seen it, i certainly recommed it as a good watch - The Ghost and the Darkness

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116409/

In 1896, a construction engineer from the British Army, J.H. Patterson is sent to build a railway bridge across Kenya's Tsavo River for the British East African Railway. Soon after he arrives, workmen begin to disappear at night from their tents - never to be seen alive again. The engineer soon discovers that a pair of man-eating lions are stalking around the bridge and campsites, killing the workmen for food. He tries a number of different methods to get rid of them, but the beasts always seem to know what Patterson is doing and avoid being shot. After 30 men have been killed Patterson's boss recruits a hunter, Charles Remington to hunt down and destroy the lions. But the lions continue killing the workmen until they flee the camps, jumping onto the train as it rolls through Tsavo. Now Remington, Patterson and his aide must face these brilliant yet frightening monsters alone.

- Written by Derek O'Cain

gave me nightmares when I was a kid

Asked him - he said it took 4 shots to take it down...... with the bow of course...

Asked him - he said it took 4 shots to take it down...... with the bow of course...

If you dont know whats wrong with that, im not going to waste my time trying to explain. Maybe a few of the stalkers on here will give their view of how happy they would be with 4 shots to drop a deer?

As much as you all knock bow hunting... I think it's got its place in hunting.... modern bolts and arrows are designed to transfer energy in the same way bullets are, they have shaped heads that allow air to pass increasing the bleed out speed... You ask any professional stalker of he's had an animal run on the perfect shot with a rifle can soon turn into a gut shot in one step and the fraction of a second ? A 300ftlb cross bow with 400 grain bolt will hit with well over 100ftlds of energy at 25 yards. I expect there are more animals running around full of lead than there are with arrows in them.... Even in the us... In fact why would a country with such strict laws on when and what can be shot have bow only hunting areas and seasons? You see a lot of stuff walk on after a bow shot but it doesn't usually go far Meteres usually, it's just because it hasn't had a whole the size of a golf ball put in its side and it's lungs turned to mince.... Adrenalin can make animals do weird things.... Think, it took 4 shots but if it wasn't terminal on the first one how come it didn't do a runner if he had winged it it would be long gone. Hippos take a lot of killing and have even been known to shrug off a .375. I say good on him!

Matt

(All set for the abuse)

this one has val kilmer and michael douglas , may very well be the same movie...

The ghost and darkness

The lions total exceeded 200 and stopped the railroads construction for over 3 months

It's easy to put our values on this however the animals being culled selectivivley (I assume) arnt in our backyard

Old lion eating your livestock buffalo eating your live stocks winter food leopard eating your dog or child not saying they were but I recon you would look at it in a different light

Anyway just my thoughts on it

Just off to check flight pond for hippo 😗😀😃

All the best

Of

The type of hunting in this thread is purely trophy hunting . I personally am against any form of trophy hunting in Africa or in this country . But I must say ,there is a lot of fresh wild meat there ,that I wouldn't mind trying .

I don't think we should condem it . It's just not my cup of tea .

Harnser

Such a shame.

Not my scene at all and I wouldn't want to be associated with people like this. Would have some grudging respect if the coward pictured actually took some risk instead of a long - distance shot with a heavy-calibre ,telescopically-sighted rifle from a safe vehicle.

Such a shame.

Not my scene at all and I wouldn't want to be associated with people like this. Would have some grudging respect if the coward pictured actually took some risk instead of a long - distance shot with a heavy-calibre ,telescopically-sighted rifle from a safe vehicle.

Im having a hard time understanding the motive for your comment on a shooting forum - calling hunters "cowards" That comment would then also be directed at anyone shooting pigeons, foxes, deers, squirrels - anything with a telescopic sight... Actually you dont know the circumstances either, I know for one that they track the animal on foot through the dense bush for example. Do you think a leopard is just going to be lying out in the open? such a comment is downright naive and ignorant on a shooting/hunting forum and perhaps should be posted on a forum like PETA...

Edited by spartan7510

I would never shoot a leopard or indeed any other of the cat species and I have been on safari in Africa before game reserves were introduced.

I met a man on a shoot in this country some years ago who showed me plans for an extension to his house to accommodate a full sized giraffe which he had shot. He seemed perfectly normal but to me that is unusual. Not illegal possibly but not normal.

You really have opened a can of worms ! i would imagine the majority of the hunters are from the good old USA , if they are not shooting something to hang on the wall

they are shooting each other. Just look at there hunting DVDs all hipe no respect for the quarry. its all macho.