South Africa - professional hunting

spartan7510

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The monkey is a touch of class. Dress it up in a butler suit next time for greater comedic effect.

For those who are whinging and complaining, I suggest you go visit the RSPCA - their level of judgemental preaching should make you feel at home.

Each to there own but treat it with the contempt it deserves comes to mind.

Not my cup of tea either, but each to their own,........with the exception of the bow hunted hippo, out of a morbid curiosity I had a look at hippo bow hunting in YouTube . IMHO , you have to be slightly odd to want to do that, multilple shots required, long painful death . I don't think a bow is the right tool at all, and just to satisfy someone's need to use one for the purpose, I do t think it's easy to justify.

Edit - this clip

Edited by pegasus bridge

A few years ago I read a thread about one of the big white hunters who shot an elephant with a 22LR, just to show it could be done.

The video was on Utube, & was removed, I didn't see it, Im going off the post I read.

He shot it through the eye socket to get to the brain, it stumbled about for 15-20mins before going down, & it took a while to die.

Yes it done the job, but the suffering to the elephant must have been horrendous.

If you going to kill it, do it with a suitable caliber, & have respect for the animal concerned.

Hippo with a bow, & Elephant with a 22LR, all for the sake of willy waving... :no:...sad as ****.

the only ones that met their demise at my hands were livestock killers and potentially a man-eater in one case.

That's completely different & I doubt that anyone has an issue with that, certainly not me, but I bet it wasn't done with a bow or a 22lr...

As for the thread and where its gone.... I dont like the photos but then I dont like the photos of dead fox, deer or 300 pigeon with a proud shooter sat next to them on this site.

I like to think that these animals are killed as part of a management system with the funds raised going back into the system to do good and preserve animals that need preserving.... and with that thought I have no issue with it.

As for bow hunting the hippo, I have no knowledge of bow hunting and thus cannot comment on its suitability.

You need to ask.

steroid physique, shaved armpits.

Guessing but an American with shrivelled testicles caused by steroid use.

that's not on mate. I know lots of decent people who like to work out and look after their selves. If he'd of been over weight with a massive gut you'd of stereotype a typical fat American. Your small minded ness is as exactly the same as an anti , (making assumptions as to what kind of people do what) by the way are you a typical toff who likes to run down foxes on horse back or a typical fat English (gent ) that stands by a wooden stick shooting birds that have been breed to die. Or a bloke who still feel the need to kill for the table when supermarkets have all you need . Edited by jayDT10

that's not on mate. I know lots of decent people who like to work out and look after their selves. If he'd of been over weight with a massive gut you'd of stereotype a typical fat American. Your small minded ness is as exactly the same as an anti , (making assumptions as to what kind of people do what) by the way are you a toff who likes to run down foxes on horse back or a fat English (gent ) that stands by a wooden stick shooting birds that have been breed to die. Or a bloke who still feel the need to kill for the table when supermarkets have all you need . ( stereotypes)

I think most people that work out would admit they do so because it makes them feel better about themselves. Nothing wrong in that at all. But to then pose like that guy with the bow, then I have to agree with the previous poster. Unless of course he is a professional model and being paid for it. Then I'm sure there are some that would find it nice. But in the hunting world I find it really sad.

I think most people that work out would admit they do so because it makes them feel better about themselves. Nothing wrong in that at all. But to then pose like that guy with the bow, then I have to agree with the previous poster. Unless of course he is a professional model and being paid for it. Then I'm sure there are some that would find it nice. But in the hunting world I find it really sad.

it's the stereotyping that's wrong.

I wouldn't shoot a goose with a bloody 177 air rifle because it shows lack of respect and high risk of just causing harm . Use the correct equipment, he is a "professional"????? I wouldn't plaster a wall with a bloody spoon!

Are giraffes vermin or cause harm? only if you go chasing them!

Must admit it's not my cup of tea, but while I'm killing things for no other reason than I can, and I enjoy shooting too much to stop, then I'm not really in a position to judge.

The only thing I take exception to is the prior knowledge the hunter must have had in that by using a bow he/she knew the Hippo would suffer a great deal before dying and by having that knowledge, didn't care enough to use a more appropriate tool for the job.

Even though I will endeavour to kill cleanly and therefore humanely, whatever I shoot, I am of course aware that many has been the time I have failed to kill something cleanly and a follow up shot has not always been possible for whatever reason, and that that creature has been lost and crept away to die a painful lingering death. But do I care enough to the extent I will stop shooting? Obviously not.

The monkey is a touch of class. Dress it up in a butler suit next time for greater comedic effect.

For those who are whinging and complaining, I suggest you go visit the RSPCA - their level of judgemental preaching should make you feel at home.

I always thought it was about bringing the beast down quickly as possible not turning it into a living pin cushion :no:

I completely agree. Using inadequate equipment is wrong but arguing the toss over different prey species is hypocritical.

I had got no issue over the species, just pointed out it wasn't for me. And I don't think a bow is the best tool for a hippo. Edited by pegasus bridge

Can someone tell me why people are looking in SPORTING PICTURES then complaining that they are seeing animals killed I think it gives it away when it said SPORTING PICTURES if you don't like seeing animals being killed why look

Because there are good sporting pictures and bad sporting pictures and one doesn't know until they are seen.

Can someone tell me why people are looking in SPORTING PICTURES then complaining that they are seeing animals killed I think it gives it away when it said SPORTING PICTURES if you don't like seeing animals being killed why look

tell me about it. It seems people are fine with seeing other people mascarading over a whole family of foxes including cubs and their trophy dear, but put something up that ain't the norm as far as pigeon watch is concerned and the narrow mindlessness shines through. Me personally don't know if I could pull the trigger on a big cat but I'll most probably never be in the position to have to decide. Until then I won't judge those who get their pleasures hunting big game .

Because there are good sporting pictures and bad sporting pictures and one doesn't know until they are seen.

And who are you to speak out for the readers to judge what is classed as "good" sporting photos and "bad" ones ......? As far as I can see none of the pictures have contravened the terms of this forum, if they have and are deemed "inappropriate" the moderator can remove them (which to date he has not). If you find them distasteful, you also reserve the right not to view them, which clearly you have with much interest since your comment in on page 6 and the photos dispersed in various precending pages on this thread...

Edited by spartan7510

Quite a few of the commentators are naive concerning Africa and would not last very long on the continent, even when guided by a professional hunter, they would not be able to handle it emotionally, physically and psychologically. The reality is Africa is a harsh place. It is survival of the fittest and the weak, well you can guess what happens to them. Now if you find sport hunting of this nature offensive, then consider the natives who do not have the luxury of a high powered rifle, but rely on spears and bows & arrows to take down their quarry. So for a hunter to take the challenge as the locals would do with a bow and arrow and to take down an animal is neither inhumane nor savage. I have seen far worse ways of killing animals in Africa by the natives, which include trapping with barb wire where in most cases the animal suffers and either bleeds to death or dies of thirst since they could not be bothered to check the traps often. Many cases the animal will chew off its own limb to escape the trap. And as a previous poster said, nothing goes to waste in Africa – and that is true. I Just find some comments totally naïve without insight or understanding, just blowing off hot air.

And who are you to speak out for the readers to judge what is classed as "good" sporting photos and "bad" ones ......? As far as I can see none of the pictures have contravened the terms of this forum, if they have and are deemed "inappropriate" the moderator can remove them (which to date he has not). If you find them distasteful, you also reserve the right not to view them, which clearly you have with much interest since your comment in on page 6 and the photos dispersed in various precending pages on this thread...

I wasn't aware I was speaking for ALL readers. I was responding to rimfire when he asked why look at the pictures posted when the title explained that they were sporting pictures. Simple as that.

Quite a few of the commentators are naive concerning Africa and would not last very long on the continent, even when guided by a professional hunter, they would not be able to handle it emotionally, physically and psychologically. The reality is Africa is a harsh place. It is survival of the fittest and the weak, well you can guess what happens to them. Now if you find sport hunting of this nature offensive, then consider the natives who do not have the luxury of a high powered rifle, but rely on spears and bows & arrows to take down their quarry. So for a hunter to take the challenge as the locals would do with a bow and arrow and to take down an animal is neither inhumane nor savage. I have seen far worse ways of killing animals in Africa by the natives, which include trapping with barb wire where in most cases the animal suffers and either bleeds to death or dies of thirst since they could not be bothered to check the traps often. Many cases the animal will chew off its own limb to escape the trap. And as a previous poster said, nothing goes to waste in Africa – and that is true. I Just find some comments totally naïve without insight or understanding, just blowing off hot air.

I understand everything you are saying here and accept that in a few areas of Africa this is the norm. It is a fact of life. However that does not make it right and acceptable if it is not necessary to survive. They have little choice to put food on the table. We do, that's the only point I would like to make.