Poachers

dodeer

Can anyone advise me on how to try and stop deer poaching which happens a lot round me with lurchers at night.

I thought about planting more hedges and increasing the number of deer to be culled.

We also have 8ft wide ditchs which are 6ft deep so those should help.

any help to try and stop these scum would be very gratefully recieved.

Im having trouble with some 2. there is only a small handfull of roes round my area(5-6) any way some one shot one and cut its tail off and left it on the verge of a drop. and a month later they have shot another and attempted to skin the deer but failing so they left it.

the gamekeeper of the area and underkeeper plus alot of others have been asking about it but nowts come up

Scott

Trip wire flares and blank firers, from henry crank.

Put them on all the gate posts etc...

A good tip is to put the unit in a tree and use a staple to retain the cable at the bottom of the tree. Then when it goes off they cant steal the unit as it is 10ft up a tree

Red, I would have thought it wouldnt matter where they were. If I were trespassing on someones land and set one off, I would not hang around to find out if anyone had heard it. :beer:

I would suggest the flare ones though as it could affect their dogs which you suggest is their main tool of poaching. But bangs are good too :beer:

Or give shooting permission to trusted people to lamp for you, poachers I would think would not like to stay on hunted ground.

Boards with nails pointing up, accross all the gate entrances would stop them using vehicles as well, and at night be hard to spot, especially if you had some grass/mud on them. Just remember to tell all authorised entrants about it. Or only put them down at night.

On a more vietnam film note (watched Platoon last night)...

Claymores in the trees and a sniper on the roof.

That and steal the gas tanks from the *****'s caravans. If you keep doing that, eventually they'll go away.

Not sure about the citizen's arrest thing. I have a sneaking suspiscion that it will only be legal if it is for a criminal offence that's serious (murder or something) plus,, if you catch them and they've not "done" anything, you have only got them for trespass, which is civil.

How about getting NVGs and staking out the likely areas? Take a camera with you and then get them.

Wookie

If it is ****** or gypsies or whatever derogatory term you want to call them, they are not necessarily local.

Criminals will travel if they think its worth it. Look at the scrotes that stole Tony Martins lead, they travelled from Newark to Norfolk, thats got to be an hours drive?

Just because people live in caravans it dont mean they are criminals.

<EDIT> http://www.henrykrank.com DUH :beer: :beer:</EDIT>

Poachers are a nightmare and you need to tread carefully for the following reasons:

1. Usually the ******** are armed now adays

2. Deer Poachers are usually professional teams as they get alot of money for the the meat.

3. If its deer they are after they will not be alone (usually) so be careful

4. Whatever device you use to either scare them off or warn you they are about or to scare off the deer before they get to em can put you in hot water if the device injures them, in other words you could get sued.

I know it isn't right and they are where they shouldn't be but its the law I'm afraid.

If they are trying to poach deer they should surely have a vehicle, try and get the number and description and then call the police, wait for them to turn up. Make sure you tell the police you think they are armed, thats a criminal offence so they should turn up.

Video evidence is good.

Unfortunately, like the rest of us you have to lie in wait for them to turn up or more usually, you come across them on your rounds.

If there vehicle happens by chance to become disabled through getting one or two punctures in more than one wheel then unless they leg it they will be there when the police turn up :beer::beer:

Some very good advice.

Also if you can block the vehicles on the estate i.e., park a vehicle on a bridge. Chain gates. In general, make it as hard for them to cover the ground.

Let the air out of tyres through the valves. I believe that this is not classed as criminal damage, as they can be reinflated.

As for the advice

Boards with nails pointing up, across all the gate entrances would stop them using vehicles as well, and at night be hard to spot, especially if you had some grass/mud on them. Just remember to tell all authorised entrants about it. Or only put them down at night.

I think if you used the above method you would fall foul of the law yourself.

Under, Health and Safety you have a duty to yourself, colleagues and others. Including poachers. Is it worth being sued over, just to get some revenge :beer: .

I realise the board with nails was probably foul of the law, however that is assuming that the poachers can prove that you put it there and that is wasnt part of the fence/gate that they broke off etc....

I doubt the poachers would persue the matter legally.

Get some Tiger Urine from your local zoo and put that round the place, that should scare the dogs :beer: might get rid of a few deer though :yp: :beer:

Sorry to sound a prude , these skum suckin dirt bags seem to know the law better than most of us!!!!! after all a poaching fine is only 30 or 40 quid !!!!!!! it wouldnt be the first time a land owner has been nobbled in court by a thief! and what about the emergency services getting nailed to your drive eeeeeekkkkkkk,, :beer:

We have terrible trouble with poachers there is no legal way to deal with them they turn up in vehicles that are worth nowt so they dont mind doing a runner and loosing them, the local constabulary are so slow by the time they get here i am bored with waiting for them and the poachers are long gone.

So we have erected foot high chicken wire fences halfway across the likely fields. stops dogs! Anybody who suffers this knows how annoying it is and i really feel sorry for them. But don't believe its gypsies there are people who I know who make a living out of poaching (thieveing scum).

I went to see a local farmer today,he has approx 120 acres of rape which no one shoots.After meeting him and sorting out where to go i went and got my gun and set up.I was in the field for ten minutes when along came a subura and two dogs chasing roe deer.They saw me and did a runner,i rang the farmer to tell him.Didnt want him to think it was anything to do with me.About an hour later they came again,and done the same thing.These people know what they are doing,they knew where every gate way was.In the farm yard there is a heap of telegraph poles,i'm going to see the farmer and suggest he put them in the gate ways hopefuly that will stop there car :huh:

On the land that i shoot on we have some trouble with poachers with lurchers takin what ever they can get. What they do is eather very late or very early they stop on the edge of the road wich runs through the estate and just lamp the field if they see something they will go for it. This makes them quite hard to catch as if they are spotted they just say "I was just letin my dog out for a ****". They know what they are doing and there cocky too for instance last year when we were cutting the maize we had the maize surrounded with guns because we were sure there were going to be a fox in there. As we were waitin i noticed a white subaru come up the hill they saw me and backed back down i thought nothing of it until i heard the car reving up just over the hill then back they came at about 50mph over the hill the all waved and honked the horn, i jumped the fence and followed them along the track and they came zooming back along the track towards me i got out of the way and off they went. We informed the police but as usual they didnt do any thing. :huh:

While out today i was speaking to a couple of farmers.Turns out the poachers lost one of there dogs,the rspca picked it up.It was previously a rspca dog and had a micro chip fitted so they traced the owner.He won't be getting it back.

when the farmer rung the police with a name and address they didnt want to know,even though we have the remains of a roe,with car tracks up to it and his dog was found on the same field.We filled the gate ways in today and dug a trench in a few so if they do come back they should find it a bit harder to get round.Wouldn't it be a pity if they got stuck and there car suffered from spontanious combustion :lol::lol: