Young birds about.

JDog

Last saturday i only shot 2 adults, loads of young birds about... by the time i saw if they got white spots on the neck, they were dead in the air... :lol:

I am very lucky to have good eye sight. Yesterday I could make out the difference between young and old birds at up to 100m. Its not just about neck or wing bars it's about shape and size and mode of flight.

I am very lucky to have good eye sight. Yesterday I could make out the difference between young and old birds at up to 100m. Its not just about neck or wing bars it's about shape and size and mode of flight.

Fairly straightforward thing to do. Birdwatchers call it "jizz" I believe.

Late September and October are the main times for young birds here. Young birds make the best eating IMHO.

how can you be selective on shooting a wood pigeon young or old ? and for what reason should you be selective on a pest

1973 was a year in which Wood Pigeon were short in numbers. Archie Coates wrote in September in a letter published in Shooting Times "to salve my conscience I have been shooting only one of a pair of birds coming into decoy in July and August". Pest control is about managing the numbers not eradicating a species surely? JDog did good in my book.

Edited by TriBsa

i dont think we would erradicate wood pigeons . if a farmer wants you doing pest control you dont pick and choose . a young pigeon will eat as much as a adult what would you say if the farmer was watching you shoot pigeons and noticed you wasnt shooting certain birds he wouldnt be too impressed and what about the birds we shoot with sqabs still on nests they are pests which can be shot all year round

With young birds do you some times hold back from shooting them.

Just in case it's a stock dove. I get a few stock doves in my area and I

find young woodies being a bit smaller and a bit skittish and lacking

neck bars just make me hold back. Then I see the wing bars as they

leaving the pattern and the swearing under my breath starts. Not always.

Depends on their approach and light conditions.